TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Debates Ghee vs Gi
26,810 Posts
No they aren't. Mateen is still there. He's awful. Haven't even remotely enjoyed his work. This one was no exception.

Liked the rest, although most of the endings were a bit abrupt.

The acting in the haunted house one was not great.

Glad they kept kenny... I actually liked his movie for the first time.

·
Go Pats!
9,606 Posts
Yeah.....Mateen......sure, the subject matter in his movie was "horrific", it was not a horror movie as the producers intended.....

·
Banned
5,777 Posts
I thought Kenny's was a cheesy horror flick--bad dialogue, the girl sniffing the corpses arm goo, the computer thing at the end, etc. I liked the Anklebiters one the best. Mateen definitely lost points with me not because his was horrific and not horror because I was actually hoping to see something like that, but because he had to go the 'racist white cop' route. I think real life situations are a lot scarier than monsters under your bed. A home invasion type thing would have been pretty scary if it was made real enough but I guess that could go more as drama. Shira-Lee's haunted house sucked. I don't get Eli Roth's criticism of Jason's movie that the girl was too hot to take seriously. Who else was there, I forget.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I liked Eternal Waters the best. I liked how he even connected the water that was coming out of the faucet in the kitchen. The ending was sweet.
Mateen's video was hard to watch (not because it was necessarily bad, but because the subject matter was painful). I had a hard time with the plot on that one, though. Can anyone explain it to me?

·
postcrastinator
4,512 Posts
Mateen needs to go simply because he refused to do the assignment as directed, and chose to make another racist stereotype editorial short.

As much as I dislike Kenny [and it was interesting in the preview clip that his lighting man said that he doesn't know any of the film lingo, which is what others said in his previous work ("get up in his grill" instead of "shoot a tight close-up") --- this punk's street lingo shows no respect for the institution of film making], his film wasn't the worst of the evening.

Shira-Lee's movie was weak, but it was at least on-topic, and in my opinion she gets points for that.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My favorite part about the whole show has been Gary Marshall. He is consistently funny and entertaining with his comments. He's quick too!

So has Zach Lipovsky, the "special effects" guy, won already or what? :)

·
Debates Ghee vs Gi
26,810 Posts
Mateen's video, at least from what I can gather, was this: a black guy gets pulled over, and imagines his worst "nightmare" of what would happen if the cop pulling him over were white, then it turns out that the cop is black and he is relieved.

I am surprised that anyone found it tolerable in any form, horror or drama or anything. I thought it was just as bad as the tree getting killed film that jessica did.

·
Bored
4,290 Posts
I struggle through this series, but I still don't get it.

They are directors. Why do they have to write all the dialogue too?

That would be like starting a series for record producers, but making them sing and write the songs too.

I think they should give them professionally-developed scripts, and have them film the
scenes.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
Donbadabon said:
I struggle through this series, but I still don't get it.

They are directors. Why do they have to write all the dialogue too?

That would be like starting a series for record producers, but making them sing and write the songs too.

I think they should give them professionally-developed scripts, and have them film the
scenes.
Probably because most successful film directors got their start and got noticed because they made something of their own that was pretty good. Once they become a feature director, they're not expected to do the whole thing, but they've got to have the eye, ear, and talent required to make a good feature, and if they can't even do it in three-minute segments, who's to say that they'll be able to do it for two hours?

As for this episode, I thought Mateen's entry was weak, as were his previous submissions. Shira-Lee's was stupid, but at least it was a valiant effort. The others were pretty good, although a couple of the scenes in the anklebiter one looked really cheesy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.