TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can you explain a little about how the hack works? How does the DTivo have to be connected to the other Tivo box, via CAT5? Can it be done wirelessly?

Can you see a program that is currently recording on the master box via MRV? I don't know how MRV works. I would imagine that this is not possible as I believe to use MRV the file is actually copied from the master box and viewed on the slave box, and not "streamed". Is that right?

·
Lord of Darkness
1,557 Posts
First you need to Hack the unit, to enable the USB Ports on the HDVR2. The USB ports are disabled.

You would need to use your Home Network in the same manner as the Series 2 Tivos. Using Ethernet (Cat5) etc. It could be done wirelessly, but would require further hacks I presume.

You would use the HDVR2 in a similar manner to any Series 2 Tivo Home Networked. You can transfer recordings off it to a PC, or other Tivo Unit on the Network.

BUT: You cannot add any New Programming to the unit. For this you NEED a Directv subscription. Nor can you Transfer any Programs from a Tivo to the unit.

·
Astute User
11,392 Posts
You can MRV between a hacked standalone SD TiVo and a hacked D-TiVo (both Series 2 of course). To MRV with an unhacked Standalone TiVo, you need another unhacked subbed Standalone Tivo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.