TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
jmrwiseguy said:
Ok, I finally got it to work. I had to use the original backup from the original drive instead of a backup of a expanded/hacked drive. The reason I didn't want to use the original was because it wasn't hacked so I'm going to have to do that all over again on this drive. BTW, the "tpip --swapped -s /dev/hdxx" worked fine with tpip 1.1.

Thanks everyone.
I am running into almost the same problem, except my sources are a married pair ( 40gb + 120gb ) and my target a 300GB drive.

It looks like your final solution did not use your previous upgrade at all - so you lost all the recordings on that drive correct? I don't want to do that...

· Registered
101 Posts
So the correct command for 1.2 is:

tpip -s -1 /dev/hdc

?

JamieP said:
I did some testing with tpip (both version 1.1 from the PTVUpgrade LBA48 disk and version 1.2 from courtesan.com) and it appears that neither one produces a correct v1 swap header for a series 2 tivo when run with the defaults on an x86 PC.

Strangely enough, If you force tpip to think it is working with a byteswapped Series 1 disk, then it does seem to create a good v1 swap header for a Series 2. With the 1.1 version, add the "--swapped" argument (note: that's two dashes). With the 1.2 version, add "-1". "tpip --version" will tell you which version you have.

My guess is that Philly Bill is running with no swap. DTivo's have more memory thatn SAs (64MB verses 32MB) and may be able to run 6.2 with no swap. 7.1 won't run on a SA without at least some swap.

· The Iron Monkey
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
tpip --version will report the version you have :

V1.1 : tpip --swapped -s /dev/<drive>

V1.2 : tpip -1 -s /dev/<drive>

· Registered
78 Posts
slaponte said:
tpip --version will report the version you have :

V1.1 : tpip --swapped -s /dev/<drive>

V1.2 : tpip -1 -s /dev/<drive>
I'm going to be upgrading my 40 hour to a single 200 gig HD in a couple of weeks. The instructions for Hinsdale and Weaknees both show using a swap of 127. So in this instance I would NOT need to use tpip--is this correct? From what I'm reading here it's only necessary when I attempt to enlarge the swap beyond 127, correct?

81 - 86 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.