TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my S3 for a while and just tarted playing with some of the new features like Unbox downloads and Swivel Search. My Tivo is set to output at 1080i, but when I go to certain screens, such as Find Programs > Download TV & Movies or Find Programs > Universal Swivel Search, the output resolution drops to 480i, which cases a sync adjustment and lag from my HD set.

Any reason why some of the Tivo UI is still in SD?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The reason's pretty simple. They need the menus and overlays to display properly on the SD (composite and s-video) and HD (component and HDMI) outputs simultaneously. Unfortunately, they decided to accomplish this by scaling SD menus and overlays up to HD for the component and HDMI outputs. They should have designed the system to generate HD native menus and overlays and scale those down to SD for the SD outputs. Even if they decided not to provide additional information on the screens, at least it would look better.

BTW, some people will try to tell you that the S3 does have HD menus. They say this because the S3 will display a 720p background in certain configurations. However, the overlays and menus are still SD scaled and stretched.

IMHO, it's pretty tacky considering it's their flagship product designed from the ground up to be used with HD displays. :p

·
Registered
28,665 Posts
I too am disappointed that the menus are not true HD, and not in the correct aspect ratio.
It's not a big deal, but it looks cheap. They could also display a lot more info on each screen if they designed 16:9 menus properly.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
ccoulson said:
I've had my S3 for a while and just tarted playing with some of the new features like Unbox downloads and Swivel Search. My Tivo is set to output at 1080i, but when I go to certain screens, such as Find Programs > Download TV & Movies or Find Programs > Universal Swivel Search, the output resolution drops to 480i, which cases a sync adjustment and lag from my HD set.

Any reason why some of the Tivo UI is still in SD?
My TV (Samsung DLP) is incapable of displaying 480i over HDMI, so I have the output of my Tivo set to 1080i instead of native, as you say you do. When I navigate through all of the menus, I can see everything just fine. My output is not dropping to 480i.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Presumably the OP has his unit set to 'Native.'

Due to the vagaries of my TV's scaling options, I use 1080i fixed and the HME apps are scaled appropriately.

If I use native, it's more work for me to scale the video to zoom letterboxed SD content, so I don't.

·
O2->CO2 Converter
2,702 Posts
jtown said:
BTW, some people will try to tell you that the S3 does have HD menus. They say this because the S3 will display a 720p background in certain configurations. However, the overlays and menus are still SD scaled and stretched.
Likely because they do actually have HD menus. :rolleyes:

The text could look more crisp, and yes, the problem that the OP asked about is because of it kicking into an HME application to do the things like swivel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The menus and overlays themselves are not rendered at 720/1080. They're rendered at 480 for a 4:3 display then scaled up to 720 or 1080 and stretched to fit a 16x9 display. That is the fundamental issue being addressed in the original post. (Note: Some of the graphics (backgrounds and the tivo dude) have been "remastered" to display properly on an HD display.)

When you set the S3 to 1080i fixed, does that make the original SD content magically HD? No. It scales the SD content up to 1080i and, if you have your system configured to do so, stretches or crops it to fill the 16x9 screen. This is the same thing that happens with the menus and overlays. They're scaled and stretched to fit the screens. That doesn't make them HD. Look at the circles when you have the menus stretched to 16x9. They're ovals. This is what happens when 4:3 material is stretched to fill a 16x9 display and you can tell the text is not 720 or 1080 because it's clearly scaled. Look at the text and overlays of a sporting even broadcast in HD then compare it to the S3's guide overlay.

As for the potential for adding more information to the HD menus, that would cause problems for people who are still using SD sets. The menus would not scale down to 480i very well. That is a legitimate problem. You can't have 15 lines on the 1080i output and 8 lines on the 480i output. Navigation just wouldn't work even if the system was capable of generating multiple formats simultaneously. Eliminating the SD output isn't an option at this point because it would alienate a large group of people who are transitioning to HD. However, they could do what the major networks do. Broadcast in HD and scale/crop that feed to 4:3 SD and let the SD viewers take the quality hit. (Which they wouldn't notice because they'd still be getting the best quality image their equipment can handle.)

·
Well-Known Mumbler
11,688 Posts
jtkohl said:
Probably those menu items are kicking into an HME application, which I'd expect to show up by default as a 480p signal.
I believe this is the correct answer. These menu items appear to be implemented as HME apps.

Now, it has been discovered (see the HME forum) that it is possible to use HD resolutions with HME apps. Tivo's just not doing it for their own apps. Perhaps they feel it's not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
rodalpho said:
There must be a technical limitation of some kind. This has been discussed to death; the menus and text are definitely upscaled SD.
I believe someone did write a HME library to support HD and SD resolutions using the same UI. However, TiVo hasn't used this library for any of their HME apps AFAIK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.