TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a cross-post from Tivo (dot) com help forums, as I'm anxious to get my Tivo unit operational.

I am a subscriber to Time-Warner cable of Bergen County NJ.
I have tried unsuccessfully to set-up my Tivo unit with the consultation of a live person at Tivo Tech. support yesterday afternoon (01/30/06). I have also queried help thru another post elsewhere in this forum.

Much to my displeasure I learned that Tivo does not support the Jerrold Model Analog Cable box described in the subject line above.

After receiving the unit as a Christmas Present, and all the 'bragging' of how great Tivo is from two other people... the excitement vanished when receiving the bad news this afternoon.

Time Warner Cable will not replace this model Jerrold Analog Cable box with another Analog Cable box. They are migrating everyone who has a problem with their Analog Cable box to DIGITAL. This Migration also includes a raise in one's cable rate by migrating to the Digital platform.

It is sad to learn that Tivo, on the edge of creating a time-saving device... not be compatible with my Analog Cable Converter.

This leaves me with a few alternatives:

(1) Use the TIVO without the converter box. After all I'm already paying for premium channels from Time-Warner Cable which are fed through the converter. Run the unit side by side with my VHS unit which CAN interface with my Cable box. Pay a monthly fee to Tivo for a unit which will not have full functionality.

(2) Upgrade to Time Warner Digital Cable at a hefty increase in my cable rate, so I can utilize all the functions of My Tivo Unit.

(3) Pack-up the unit, return it to the Family member who GAVE it as a Christmas Present, and say... This will not function with my system, unless I pay about another $40.00/month to make it work.

(4) See if the Engineers at Tivo can contact Jerrold and get the codes to make my unit work. This is the ideal solution! It makes the family member who gave the unit happy. I get to use the unit. I remain a Tivo Customer and do not cancel my account.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to choose option (4)?

Rocky

·
bla
130 Posts
You still have analog pay channels? Wow. Haven’t seen those for years.

You can buy a descrambler and register it with your cable company (I think this is still legal). That way you don’t have to pay the rent on your cable box anyways. Just verify that the TiVo can work with that box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes we do have 'analog pay channels' AND a tier level for analog which includes:
Turner Classic Movies, Animal Planet, Comedy Central, Golf Channel, Fox Sports Net, History Channel, Court TV, HGTV all are scrambled on the analog level. YOu need to pay the $5.00/extra month/converter to receive those channels. Of course the marketing at TWC NJ puts all the best channels on the Digital platform, such as OLN, Speed, etc.

Now you might see why I would like to get the code set for my Jerrold box to work with the Tivo. The latter mentioned channels are some of the best programming... without the converter all we get is Shopping Channels, PBS, Foreign Language Channels, CSPAN (1), CSPAN (2) on a shared channel with Travel Channel.... So TWC also still has channel sharing in Analog... to get you to migrate to Digital.

Before this cable system was engulfled and devoured by Time Warner, it was on the edge of technology... My $0.03.

Rocky

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
Stanley Rohner said:
I'm pretty sure that was never legal.
Never realy was. Plus you'd be still be stuck with an incompatible cable box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to all for your advice.

I returned our analog Jerrold Cable Converters and swapped them for Digital Cable Converters.

The Actual cost minus an additional digital converter was only about $6.00/month.

Now I'll be able to receive OLN and Speed!

Tivo can now interface with the Scientific Atlantic Digital Cable box.

Rocky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts