TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not been able to program my tivo remote to skip commercials (30 second skip) anymore. I've tried at least 10 times to program it the way I always have (Select, Play, Select, 3, 0, Select) but it just won't work. I've taken the batteries out of the remote, waited a couple of minutes and then put them in again, but nothing seems to work.

Is this happening to anyone else? And no, there's nothing broken about this Tivo remote. :confused:

·
Just hangin'
30,958 Posts
Works fine on my DirecTV TiVos (HR10, T60, & DSR6000).

Although it can be done with live TV, it works better if you are watching a recording.

Oh yeah, what model TiVo do you have?

BTW, you aren't programming the remote for 30s skip, just the way the unit itself responds to the advance button.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I assume you were playing something from your now playing list? I don't think it works while watching live tv or on a menu.

Do you hear beeps registering the keypresses when you're pressing the buttons? On some models a light changes colors when an infrared remote signal is received. Does yours do that?

·
Tech-no Guide
260 Posts
My R10 and SD-DVR40 both can 30 sec skip after the 6.3e update.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When we got our power back after a power outage, my TiVo wouldn't program the 30-second skip either until I had the TiVo do a reset. It worked after that.

·
I get paid 2watch TV
6,086 Posts
I've often found that adding an extra play helps, and I can hit it every time.

Play-Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select.

I always do this while playing a recorded program,
I don't however always get the sound effects, on my HR10 and S3 I record only HD content which is in 5.1 Dolby audio, sound effects can't play during 5.1 audio.

Same thing with the R10, if I'm playing something I've recorded from HBO or SHO I often don't get the effects due to the 5.1 Dolby sound.

I've yet to encounter a problem setting the 30 second skip on any of my TiVo's.

phox

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
Fact: That sequence programs the TiVo to change its behavior with the ->| key.
If those keys individually work on the TiVo, the sequence should work on nearly all TiVos, the SD-H400 excepted, as it has no actual ->| key..

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
With the latest Tivo software, the select-play-select-3-0-select code no longer works on recorded programs. You need to enter it while watching a timeshifted (not recorded) program.

Go to the guide, select a live channel, hit instant replay, and then type in the code.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
bkdtv said:
With the latest Tivo software, the select-play-select-3-0-select code no longer works on recorded programs. You need to enter it while watching a timeshifted (not recorded) program.

Go to the guide, select a live channel, hit instant replay, and then type in the code.
Which level of software are you referring to? SPS30S works fine for me in recorded programs.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
jfh3 said:
Which level of software are you referring to? SPS30S works fine for me in recorded programs.
That's odd, I could have sworn it didn't for me in 8.1.7c2.

In any case, if you have trouble applying the code in recorded programs, try it in a timeshifted program.

·
Registered
703 Posts
At the risk of overstating/ repeating, anytime my Tivo loses power or reboots I have to do the select/ play/ 3/ 0/ select "dance."

It's works on live TV for me on both DTivo and S2s. The one problem with doing it live with a SA Tivo is it changes to channel 30, so if you have DBS and there is no channel 30 sometimes you have to go to the DBS box or DBS remote to get it back on track with Tivo. My Dish receiver is a PITA about that. Obviously DTivo doesn't have that issue since it is the DBS receiver so you can just enter a channel number, though I usually just hit the enter key and go back to the previous channel.

So yea, it's less confusing to be in a recorded show to do the dance but it will work live as well.

·
Go USA!
61 Posts
restart88 said:
At the risk of overstating/ repeating, anytime my Tivo loses power or reboots I have to do the select/ play/ 3/ 0/ select "dance."

It's works on live TV for me on both DTivo and S2s. The one problem with doing it live with a SA Tivo is it changes to channel 30, so if you have DBS and there is no channel 30 sometimes you have to go to the DBS box or DBS remote to get it back on track with Tivo. My Dish receiver is a PITA about that. Obviously DTivo doesn't have that issue since it is the DBS receiver so you can just enter a channel number, though I usually just hit the enter key and go back to the previous channel.

So yea, it's less confusing to be in a recorded show to do the dance but it will work live as well.
I think you left out a "select" in there.

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,970 Posts
bkdtv said:

Huh? What's the difference between a "recorded" program and a "timeshifted" program? :confused: If it's timeshifted, it's been recorded hasn't it?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts