TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me? We switched to Via Talk about two weeks ago. We have Comcast high speed internet and cable.

Why aren't we able to record any more programming? For some reason, it says "no dial tone."

Thanks, Dee

·
Dumb Blond
38,693 Posts
I am unfamiliar with Via Talk, but if this is a VoIP service, many TiVos have trouble making calls over VoIP. Can your TiVo connect to your home network? (Does it have a USB port on the back?) If so, you can buy a supported network adapter and connect that way (the TiVo Wireless G adapter is good.)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Did I read that correctly, you have High speed internet and are still connecting using dial-up :confused:

Broadband Connect Your TiVo DVR
Enjoy TiVo Service Features
Having a broadband connected TiVo DVR lets you take advantage of a number of TiVo features, including TiVoToGo™ transfers, Remote Scheduling, Amazon Unbox™ on TiVo service, and Multi-Room Viewing.

·
Reformed Druid
478 Posts
Via Talk is a reasonably good, inexpensive, and reliable VOIP service with a huge feature set.

Their one weakness is that their CODEC(s) do not seem to be very reliable for digital transmission of any type so TiVo's daily call is, at best, problematical. There are many settings that can be tried but the reliability, for me at least, was never high and I gave up and switched to PPP over serial for my TiVo calls.

As others have said, if you have a series 2, you can use a USB Ethernet adapter and get your updates over the internet directly.

With a series 1 you have a few options:
1: A turbonet card which allows a wired connection to the internet through your router.
2: An Airnet card which is like the turbonet but connects wirelessly.
3: PPP over serial. This requires a computer nearby running XP or Win 2000 (Vista "might" work) with an internet connection. (PPP works on a series 2 as well)

PPP is what I use for two of my TiVos while I have a turbonet card in my other.

I currently have Via Talk for my phone service but that is all I use it for. I will be dropping Via Talk soon as I have discovered that Skype, with Skype out and Skype in will serve all my home phone needs for about 1/3 of the cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.