TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
I live in a rural area, I'm AARP, I use a Series 3HD unit OTA and dialup for programming. I have an iPad with unlimited data plan, and a late 2009 MacBook Pro (with ethernet capability), that uses an AT&T usb remote device called Beam (Netgear) for internet. No DSL, no router, no cable. I do have a Tivo Wireless N that I have never used because it didn't work with my setup, at least I can't make it work. That's what I'm asking about. Can I put any of this together to download my program info when necessary? I'm fine with OTA only, just need the programming so I can keep my Season Passes working. Is there a way to make an iPad or MacBook Pro act like a router just to download programming every 12 days or so? Thanks for any help. I posted this question in the Coffeehouse forum too. I hope it's alright to post here too. Sorry if that's a no-no.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,219 Posts
The wireless N adapter needs to be hooked up to a computer to get setup to use Wifi BEFORE it can be connected to Tivo, however I do not know if it will work with a Series 3, but it may. It came out for the Premiere.

I assume your "Beam" is a hotspot which you connect to with wifi. If it is, It is possible to connect with the Tivo Wireless G USB adapter (or the N, pre-configured, then connected to the Ethernet Port, Tivo set to Ethernet.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wireless N adapter needs to be hooked up to a computer to get setup to use Wifi BEFORE it can be connected to Tivo, however I do not know if it will work with a Series 3, but it may. It came out for the Premiere.

I assume your "Beam" is a hotspot which you connect to with wifi. If it is, It is possible to connect with the Tivo Wireless G USB adapter (or the N, pre-configured, then connected to the Ethernet Port, Tivo set to Ethernet.)
No, my Beam has a USB connection. My Mac has usb, ethernet and wifi.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,219 Posts
I doubt your Mac can broadcast Wifi as a router would, and distribute DHCP (assign IP addresses).

I have a hotspot device (from FreedomPop) which uses Sprint data network and connects devices by Wifi. The device is not free, but the data is free at 500mb a month. Other plans available.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Looks like Beam is indeed a hotspot via sharing and obviously has Mac drivers, contrary to the documentation. You can also connect it directly to a router. But if it turns out you can't use the Beam as a hotspot, you can probably use the iPad as one. You can test this out with your Mac if you disconnect the Beam.

AT&T Beam - AT&T Premier Business Center

Even if you do end up having to spend a little to switch over to wifi, you'll save a ton by finally being able to drop your land line.

Seems to me like you may be paying double for cellular data since your iPad has unlimited cell data AND your Beam also has cell data. You should be able to use just the Beam for all your internet and drop the iPad data plan, then connect it to the Beam.

I also like the Freedom Pop idea, if you don't want to change your existing setup.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,219 Posts
I also like the Freedom Pop idea, if you don't want to change your existing setup.
It was about $40 for the FreedomPop hotspot and free 500meg plan, but I also have a $7 data rollover. I stopped using it lately as my cell has more data/rollover, and my home internet is 100m/100n/1024Gb limit.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

I have used the Tivo wireless N adapter on a series 3.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
It was about $40 for the FreedomPop hotspot and free 500meg plan, but I also have a $7 data rollover. I stopped using it lately as my cell has more data/rollover, and my home internet is 100m/100n/1024Gb limit.
If you just want guide data for a series 3, the free 500Mb free plan is more than enough. Don't need to pay extra to rollover data. I have found recently that the S3 OLED 648 Tivo and Series 2 Tivos won't work with Sprint anymore. I think Sprint blocks a port that they use. But the Tivo HD 652 model will work with Sprint.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like Beam is indeed a hotspot via sharing and obviously has Mac drivers, contrary to the documentation. You can also connect it directly to a router. But if it turns out you can't use the Beam as a hotspot, you can probably use the iPad as one. You can test this out with your Mac if you disconnect the Beam.

AT&T Beam - AT&T Premier Business Center

Even if you do end up having to spend a little to switch over to wifi, you'll save a ton by finally being able to drop your land line.

Seems to me like you may be paying double for cellular data since your iPad has unlimited cell data AND your Beam also has cell data. You should be able to use just the Beam for all your internet and drop the iPad data plan, then connect it to the Beam.

My unlimited AT&T plan on the iPad is limited to just one device, so no, it can't be used as a hotspot. I read where my Mac laptop could be turned into a hotspot, but I'm not sure it would be strong enough to do the job.
Enable Internet Sharing in Mac OS X to Turn Your Mac Into a Wireless Router

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can somebody please tell me in a step-by-step way how to configure this wireless setup. Here's what I have: A Tive Wireless N adapter, A FreedomPop Supernova 655 Hotspot, a MacBook Pro laptop with ethernet or wifi. I believe my Wireless N is already configured from a previous setup. I haven't reset it so I'm assuming it's still setup. I did try to go to 192.168.10.1 to access Setup Wizard but it is not there anymore on any browser. So assuming the N is setup, I plugged it into my Series 3 ethernet port and tried to connect to Tivo service. Result failed: "service not found". Does my laptop need to connected to the hotspot for this to work. I'm confused. I thought the S3 could connect directly through the wireless N to the hotspot. The hotspot is sending a strong signal. ??

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,219 Posts
Tivo needs to be set to ethernet since the adapter is plugged into the ethernet port.

To configure the N adapter, it must be plugged into a computer and the hotspot fully operational. configure N to connect to hotspot. Then connect to Tivo.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tivo needs to be set to ethernet since the adapter is plugged into the ethernet port.

To configure the N adapter, it must be plugged into a computer and the hotspot fully operational. configure N to connect to hotspot. Then connect to Tivo.
Thank you for the fast reply. As I mentioned, I can't bring up the Setup Wizard to configure the N adapter. The address: 192.168.10.1 gives me an error message. Is there another address?

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,219 Posts
Did you connect to the computer by ethernet, disconnect all other networks? Use your browser to the IP address?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I got the wireless N connected to the laptop via ethernet. I was able to go to Tivo setup. It saw the hotspot and tried to connect but failed. The password is correct but it keeps failing. I reset the N adapter and tried repeatedly but it just keeps telling me connection failed. What can I do now?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I am updating the firmware now for the N. I'll see if that helps. Otherwise I think I need to manually configure this thing. Not sure how. Tbc...

The update never stopped updating. I left it for over an hour. It was supposed to take two minutes or so. Is this how Tivo gets me to buy new equipment? I'll try again tomorrow. Anybody with some suggestions, please let me know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.