TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Spectrum tech came out and helped. First of all he explained that SD on the cable guide and channels meant Switched Digital, not Standard Definition. So they are HD channels. I almost didn't believe him because he was the fourth person from Spectrum I had talked to about this, and he was the first to clear up what SD meant to Spectrum. I asked why were some channels marked with HD some with SD. His explanation was that Spectrum is just a middle man. Whatever they were supplied with from the broadcaster, is how it shows up on the guide. He did note the that the picture needed improvement and proceeded to cut back and replace all the cable fittings. This made a difference in the picture and internet signal.
My next issue is getting the minis to work. The tech confirmed there is a signal on the line going into the mini, but I get the error message that their is no internet connection. With all these components, modem, tuning adapter, router, splitter, Bolt and minis I need help getting it set up. Any suggestions on where to look on this forum?

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Spectrum tech came out and helped. First of all he explained that SD on the cable guide and channels meant Switched Digital, not Standard Definition. So they are HD channels. I almost didn't believe him because he was the fourth person from Spectrum I had talked to about this, and he was the first to clear up what SD meant to Spectrum. I asked why were some channels marked with HD some with SD. His explanation was that Spectrum is just a middle man. Whatever they were supplied with from the broadcaster, is how it shows up on the guide. He did note the that the picture needed improvement and proceeded to cut back and replace all the cable fittings. This made a difference in the picture and internet signal.
My next issue is getting the minis to work. The tech confirmed there is a signal on the line going into the mini, but I get the error message that their is no internet connection. With all these components, modem, tuning adapter, router, splitter, Bolt and minis I need help getting it set up. Any suggestions on where to look on this forum?
I'm assuming that the Bolt has internet and the minis are connected via coax. If so, just set up the bolt as the MOCA gateway and the minis as MOCA clients. The minis will get internet through the Bolt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm assuming that the Bolt has internet and the minis are connected via coax. If so, just set up the bolt as the MOCA gateway and the minis as MOCA clients. The minis will get internet through the Bolt.
Steve thanks for the information. This is the connection setup. I'm not savvy enough get a picture on here. I hope this description is understandable.
Line in to 5 way splitter.
Separate line to each mini. (2)
One line to another splitter.
From that splitter
First line to modem
Modem to router with ethernet
Router to computer with ethernet
Second line to
Tuning adapter
From tuning adapter
One line to Bolt
One USB to Bolt

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Steve thanks for the information. This is the connection setup. I'm not savvy enough get a picture on here. I hope this description is understandable.
Line in to 5 way splitter.
Separate line to each mini. (2)
One line to another splitter.
From that splitter
First line to modem
Modem to router with ethernet
Router to computer with ethernet
Second line to
Tuning adapter
From tuning adapter
One line to Bolt
One USB to Bolt
What about Bolt to router with ethernet? You'll need that first.
Once Bolt is connected to internet, configure it to be a MOCA bridge in network settings, then configure minis to be MOCA clients in network settings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, I see there is the open ethernet port on the Bolt. The router only has two ports, both are being used. This is a eero router came with the home as part of a smart package. I see there are ethernet splitters. I will get one and connect the router to the Bolt.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Ok, I see there is the open ethernet port on the Bolt. The router only has two ports, both are being used. This is a eero router came with the home as part of a smart package. I see there are ethernet splitters. I will get one and connect the router to the Bolt.
I'm not 100% sure of your setup, but if the Bolt is not connected via ethernet to the internet, how are you getting guide data now? Is it using Wifi? What is the current network status shown on the Bolt?
I'm don't think you can use wireless on the Bolt to set up a MOCA bridge. You will probably need an ethernet connection at the Bolt.
Here is some good information, Guides|How To|Get Connected| How to connect to your home network and Tivo Customer Support Community

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Its connected by Wifi. ethernet, Moca are off. For me, this is tough to keep all straight. I had looked at those guides before but none seemed to mimic my needs. I'll try again now that I see the Bolt is getting info by Wifi. It looks like I will have to get the Bolt disconnected from Wifi in settings. Get a splitter or switch for the router to connect to the Bolt, Then connect to the router and change the settings to Moca. Then set up a Moca network. Looks like a piece of cake.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,622 Posts
Its connected by Wifi. ethernet, Moca are off. For me, this is tough to keep all straight. I had looked at those guides before but none seemed to mimic my needs. I'll try again now that I see the Bolt is getting info by Wifi. It looks like I will have to get the Bolt disconnected from Wifi in settings. Get a splitter or switch for the router to connect to the Bolt, Then connect to the router and change the settings to Moca. Then set up a Moca network. Looks like a piece of cake.
Depending on the router/modem model it may have MoCA built in, just flipping it on could solve a world of issues for you including setting up the mini's

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Just out of curiosity, where in your cable guide are you seeing SD and HD? My guide shows neither. Sometimes in the info
maybe this is something on TE4, but I doubt it. My guide does not show HD or SD. Often in the info it will show HD if the program is HD. And, HD is often part of the channel identifier, i.e., CNBCHD. I’m almost positive the guide would never indicate whether a channel is switched digital or not. Someone tell me I’m wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Depending on the router/modem model it may have MoCA built in, just flipping it on could solve a world of issues for you including setting up the mini's
Ok I tried that and my Bolt doesn't have Moca built in. I'm getting a switch so that my router has more ethernet ports. Thanks anyway it was worth trying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just out of curiosity, where in your cable guide are you seeing SD and HD? My guide shows neither. Sometimes in the info

maybe this is something on TE4, but I doubt it. My guide does not show HD or SD. Often in the info it will show HD if the program is HD. And, HD is often part of the channel identifier, i.e., CNBCHD. I’m almost positive the guide would never indicate whether a channel is switched digital or not. Someone tell me I’m wrong.
This cable system show SD or HD on the cable guide, and on the banner across the bottom when you select a channel.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts