TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just moved and now we have this issue. Ordered cable [Spectrum] the installer came out saw the tivo box and said it would be a problem. He told me very few people worked with the cable card to set it up on their end. He was right, it took almost 2 hours on the phone for him to get it set up. Later I noticed a SD cable box was installed not a HD box as it should have been. Now I know why. The SD box suppled has a coax output to the Bolt. Works fine. When I asked about HD they said no problem just exchange your SD box. However I see that the HD box only has a HDMI output. My Bolt only has F type coax input. I looked on the net and see dozens of different boxes. I'm not tech savvy enough to understand if its possible to get a convertor of some type. And if I do will the picture be degraded so that it's not worth it. I'm sure others have had the same issue. What's the fix?

·
wait.. I did what?
14,205 Posts
You can't do what you're trying to do.
You don't use a cable box with a Tivo Bolt, the Bolt gets a CableCARD and uses the coax from the wall and HDMI to the TV, there is no cable box anywhere in the picture.
In other words, with a CableCARD the bolt REPLACES a Cable box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't do what you're trying to do. You don't use a cable box with a Tivo Bolt, the Bolt gets a CableCARD and uses the coax from the wall and HDMI to the TV, there is no cable box anywhere in the picture. In other words, with a CableCARD the bolt REPLACES a Cable box.
You can't do what you're trying to do. You don't use a cable box with a Tivo Bolt, the Bolt gets a CableCARD and uses the coax from the wall and HDMI to the TV, there is no cable box anywhere in the picture. In other words, with a CableCARD the bolt REPLACES a Cable box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I told the Spectrum installer. He insisted that the box was needed. Last nite I ran the coax directly to the Tivo and got all the same channels as when the spectrum cable box was inline. However still no HD. Finally talked to tech support and first thing they said was "You need the Spectrum cable box with Tivo." So they are no help. At this point I need to look for a different cable company.

·
in the other Alabama
20,924 Posts

·
wait.. I did what?
14,205 Posts
Thats what I told the Spectrum installer. He insisted that the box was needed. Last nite I ran the coax directly to the Tivo and got all the same channels as when the spectrum cable box was inline. However still no HD. Finally talked to tech support and first thing they said was "You need the Spectrum cable box with Tivo." So they are no help. At this point I need to look for a different cable company.
Yes, it has been determined that Spectrum is staffed by the clueless :)

Reactions: rcandsc

·
Chit-Chat User
5,643 Posts
When I bought a TiVo Bolt and added Spectrum (old TWC) TV service in 2017, I just requested a cableCARD online. They sent it out via FedEx in a day or two, I put it in the TiVo box, and after a fifteen minute call to the number provided giving the CSR various numbers, it was working. It's worked ever since, and yes it's HD.

Spectrum.net

I understand you have to have a cable guy out to get things hooked up, but I've had better luck installing and activating cableCARDs myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I bought a TiVo Bolt and added Spectrum (old TWC) TV service in 2017, I just requested a cableCARD online. They sent it out via FedEx in a day or two, I put it in the TiVo box, and after a fifteen minute call to the number provided giving the CSR various numbers, it was working. It's worked ever since, and yes it's HD.

Spectrum.net

I understand you have to have a cable guy out to get things hooked up, but I've had better luck installing and activating cableCARDs myself.
They had to come out it's a new home, so they ran the cable in. We had Fios in our old home and it worked fine with the Tivo. After reading some of the other posts about Spectrum dropping cable card service finding another provider seems to be best. The other cable company in the area is HTC I will have to check them out.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You need a tuning adapter... Free from Spectrum. Without the tuner adapter, you will only get SD channels. They can ship you one, but I think you will need help connecting it and getting it working. It has to be connected and authorized for you to get any HD and/or premium channels.

Not to be rude... but it seems you have never used a TiVo before. Nothing has changed in this process for years.

Good luck.

·
Contentious Member
208 Posts
The SD box suppled has a coax output to the Bolt.
Last nite I ran the coax directly to the Tivo and got all the same channels as when the spectrum cable box was inline.
It seems the tech was using the SD box as a splitter so that both the SD box and the Tivo were receiving a video feed. You essentially confirmed this by directly connecting the coax to your Tivo and having it work just the same.

However still no HD.
What do you mean "no HD"? I looked up the Spectrum Rate Card for Longs, SC and there seems to be Basic, Select, Silver and Gold packages. Which package do you have? All seem to include HD channels. So when you say you have no HD, do you mean you can't tune an HD channel? Or do you mean that when you tune an HD channel, you get an SD picture on your TV?

You need a tuning adapter... Free from Spectrum. Without the tuner adapter, you will only get SD channels.
You absolutely don't need a tuning adapter to get HD channels. Tuning adapters are only needed to receive Switched Digital Video (SDV) channels. There are lots of HD channels on the Spectrum system that don't use SDV for their broadcast.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Getting in a little late here, but I just had a somewhat similar issue. I changed out the hard drive on my Bolt and needed to get the cable card re-paired. While doing it over the phone, it wouldn't work until I rebooted the tuning adapter. And meanwhile it would only tune SD channels.
So what you need to do is get your cable card paired. Make the phone call. I had no problem with this. You will also likely need a TA. A lot of channels can be switched digital.

btw, just to be sure, are you certain that that “SD” box isn’t the tuning adapter?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyone's input.
tommiet: I've used Tivo Bolt along with 2 mini's 4 yrs or so on the Verizon system. It worked just like it should, no issues. Router with the cable card that's it. No tuning adapter needed. CinciDVR: I was incorrectly identifying the tuning adapter as a sd cable box. The last cable system I used didn't use tuning adapters but they did have set top box. When I say no HD its because on the channel guide all but a couple of the channels are marked with a SD. All the channels in my package marked sd come in. The couple marked HD don't come in. Friday I was on the phone with Spectrum support and went through all their line tests, everything looks good to them. Going through the channel setup however only gives me Spectrum SD service. According to Spectrum, during channel setup I should be able to connect to a Spectrum HD service for my area. The service is there, Tivo just isn't seeing it. Spectrum said call Tivo, its their issue. Called Tivo, went through almost all the same tests Spectrum did. They couldn't explain why Tivo couldn't find Spectrum HD service during channel setup. Their best guess was maybe the SNR was to high so Tivo can't see the HD service. They felt all was good on their end so its a Spectrum issue. So Spectrum is coming out on Monday, I'll see what happens.
UCLABB: You were right, I was incorrectly identifying the tuning adapter as a cable box. I'm going to mention about rebooting the TA, and pairing the card.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
I noticed that the last time I did guided setup it was a bit different than in the past. In the past I think it used to just give you a few choices on the cable lineup. This time it asked if I received a specific channel- something like that. After confirming, it must have automatically chose the lineup. You may want to play around with that feature a bit to see if you can get another lineup choice. And again, a non paired cable card could throw some odd things at you.
I hesitated asking about “SD” box and then thought, what the heck.

·
Contentious Member
208 Posts
In the past I think it used to just give you a few choices on the cable lineup.
You may want to play around with that feature a bit to see if you can get another lineup choice.
@ERH - if you're not seeing all the HD channels that your lineup includes, I think @UCLABB's suggestion is probably your best next course of action.
When I say no HD its because on the channel guide all but a couple of the channels are marked with a SD. All the channels in my package marked sd come in. The couple marked HD don't come in.
When you say the channels that are marked HD don't come in, what do you mean? Do you get an error message when you try to tune them? Do you just get a black screen?

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
@ERH - if you're not seeing all the HD channels that your lineup includes, I think @UCLABB's suggestion is probably your best next course of action.

When you say the channels that are marked HD don't come in, what do you mean? Do you get an error message when you try to tune them? Do you just get a black screen?
Yes, if the downloaded channel guide doesn't have but two HD channels, he has downloaded the wrong lineup. He needs to experiment when it asks during guided setup what a certain channel number is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Black screen

·
Contentious Member
208 Posts
Black screen
Try unplugging the USB cable that runs from the Tuning Adapter to the Tivo. You should get a pop-up that says no Tuning Adapter is connected (at least I do on my Roamio). Click OK. Then try tuning an HD channel. If that doesn't help, try rebooting the Tivo with USB cable between the Tivo and Tuning Adapter still disconnected, and then try tuning an HD channel.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,205 Posts
UCLABB: You were right, I was incorrectly identifying the tuning adapter as a cable box. I'm going to mention about rebooting the TA, and pairing the card.
As the late great Emily Littella once said:
"nevermind"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try unplugging the USB cable that runs from the Tuning Adapter to the Tivo. You should get a pop-up that says no Tuning Adapter is connected (at least I do on my Roamio). Click OK. Then try tuning an HD channel. If that doesn't help, try rebooting the Tivo with USB cable between the Tivo and Tuning Adapter still disconnected, and then try tuning an HD channel.
Thanks, that worked! The few HD channels that show up on my channel list now come in. Next is getting the Tivo channel setup to find the Spectrum HD source instead of SD. Thats for another day.

·
Contentious Member
208 Posts
Thanks, that worked!
What that tells you is that there's something wonky with your tuning adapter setup. Usually the CableCard tells the Tivo what frequency to tune to for each channel. When a tuning adapter is connected, it takes over telling the Tivo what frequency to tune to for each channel. Since you get a black screen instead of an error, it seems the tuning adapter is telling the Tivo the wrong frequency for HD channels.

You don't need the tuning adapter if none of the channels you watch use SDV. But if some do, then you'll need Spectrum to figure out why the tuning adapter isn't telling the Tivo the right frequency.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts