TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 149 Posts

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
This show doesn't have Mac or Bull and the bailiff doesn't quite have the appeal of the various female bailiffs of the original, for me. And what it really doesn't have is Harry.

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,640 Posts
This show doesn't have Mac or Bull and the bailiff doesn't quite have the appeal of the various female bailiffs of the original, for me. And what it really doesn't have is Harry.
Did you absolutely love Mac & Bull on the first watch of the original series?

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Did you absolutely love Mac & Bull on the first watch of the original series?
Harry was what made the show great. Him and Dan.

Mac wasn't there from the start but he was good too.

I would say Bull was one of the reasons I liked the show.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
I have to rewatch E3 as I was in and out of sleep, but I kind of agree, not great. But, I'm in for a few more. I suspect that it needs time to find it's footing. I do think that if I wasn't a fan of the original, I'd probably have ditched it though. Something about Melissa Rousch playing the judge that doesn't work that well for me. I think Dan was better in this episode with much more of the snarky, cynical Dan showing up.

I think the problem with pretty much any reboot/rework/sequel/prequel or whatever you want to call these types of things, they are ALWAYS going to be compared to the original, and usually the original is much better. I suspect when the Frasier reboot hits it won't be that great either. One recent exception to this is That 90s Show which I think is really good and really has captured the spirit of the original. I won't go too deep into that here.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,443 Posts
I never saw the original, so it's not a comparison thing for me. It's just not funny, I also agree Melissa Rauch is wrong for the role. Her perpetual smile and perky demeanor just don't sit right (even though that's what the character/judge is trying to project). Someone who has a slightly rougher edge to them would have felt more authentic in this role.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
I never saw the original, so it's not a comparison thing for me. It's just not funny, I also agree Melissa Rauch is wrong for the role. Her perpetual smile and perky demeanor just don't sit right (even though that's what the character/judge is trying to project). Someone who has a slightly rougher edge to them would have felt more authentic in this role.
The original judge, Harry Stone was a smiling optimist who liked to joke around and have fun. He didn't take things too seriously. But that sort of thing is not working with Rauch. Maybe it's that modern TV viewers are not used to watching a character like that anymore. Maybe she just doesn't pull it off real well. I don't know what it is exactly. She just doesn't feel right. Maybe with more context and background on her character it could begin to work. I wonder if we will ever get that?

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
There was a line spoken in the episode that i thought perfectly described what is happening. Something like, "I didn't get it right but at least I didn't make things any worse."

Melissa has this annoying little girl voice. Not always, but sometimes.

She's pretty but it's hard to take her seriously. I will say the scene with Dan which wasn't intended to be funny was the best thing about the episode for me. And of course they talked about Harry, which is what has been the best thing about the show so far. Dan was good regardless of what he did. Whether he can make it as a defense attorney I don't know.

Who was responsible for the witness that outed the undercover cop? The way they were treating the prosecutor, it must have been her but I don't remember it.

And I still don't like the prosecutor.

Dan didn't get a fair chance or he didn't prepare a defense when the judge changed to going by the book.

Dan said he learned nerd to prepare the defense for the man who played Dungeons and Dragons. I am reminded: Wasn't Melissa one of those Dungeons and Dragons nerds on her previous series?

· LOAD"*",8,1
35,511 Posts
I think the difference is that Abby Stone's eternal optimism is very forced, very in-your-face... it doesn't feel natural. If there was an optimism to Harry, it wasn't nearly as obvious, and wasn't nearly as (IMO) annoying as it is with Abby.

For me, the only likeable character right now is Dan, which is ironic because he's not supposed to be a likeable character. And if I don't like any of the characters, I'm not going to want to WATCH any of them.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
For me, the only likeable character right now is Dan, which is ironic because he's not supposed to be a likeable character. And if I don't like any of the characters, I'm not going to want to WATCH any of them.
I agree. We loved to hate J.R. Ewing, and Lex Luthor on "Smallville" on The WB and The CW. I think this is the same thing.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,443 Posts
I think the difference is that Abby Stone's eternal optimism is very forced, very in-your-face... it doesn't feel natural. If there was an optimism to Harry, it wasn't nearly as obvious, and wasn't nearly as (IMO) annoying as it is with Abby.
I think you nailed it. That's why she doesn't work for me. The best characters just feel right, feel natural. You don't see the actor, you see the character. With her, all I see is MR, not AS.

· Random Nobody
7,493 Posts
Who was responsible for the witness that outed the undercover cop?
Abby brought him in. Interestingly enough, the court can call its own witnesses:

--Carlos V.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
I think you nailed it. That's why she doesn't work for me. The best characters just feel right, feel natural. You don't see the actor, you see the character. With her, all I see is MR, not AS.
Maybe, it's because we are so used to snide and cynical Bernatdette on TBBT, that the same actress playing an optimist seems a bit "off". Or maybe not. Not trying to make excuses, because I totally agree.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
There was a line spoken in the episode that i thought perfectly described what is happening. Something like, "I didn't get it right but at least I didn't make things any worse."

Melissa has this annoying little girl voice. Not always, but sometimes.

She's pretty but it's hard to take her seriously. I will say the scene with Dan which wasn't intended to be funny was the best thing about the episode for me. And of course they talked about Harry, which is what has been the best thing about the show so far. Dan was good regardless of what he did. Whether he can make it as a defense attorney I don't know.

Who was responsible for the witness that outed the undercover cop? The way they were treating the prosecutor, it must have been her but I don't remember it.

And I still don't like the prosecutor.

Dan didn't get a fair chance or he didn't prepare a defense when the judge changed to going by the book.

Dan said he learned nerd to prepare the defense for the man who played Dungeons and Dragons. I am reminded: Wasn't Melissa one of those Dungeons and Dragons nerds on her previous series?
Why does her being pretty have anything to do with anything? Why just because she's pretty should we take her seriously? I'm not getting that. There are hundreds of pretty actors and actresses on TV.

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,640 Posts
It's been getting better with each episode. I liked the 2nd one much better than the 1st, and the latest one I laughed quite a few times. And the end scene talking about Harry was heartwarming. I'm sticking with it, skipping commercials it's only 20 minutes of my time. Some shows people will tell me to watch the entire season to "get it".

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,861 Posts
I'm out. I'd like to give them a chance to smooth out the rough edges, but in this case that means I'll be back to check on them next season. If they get renewed.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Why does her being pretty have anything to do with anything? Why just because she's pretty should we take her seriously? I'm not getting that. There are hundreds of pretty actors and actresses on TV.
Huh? If she's pretty that might mean not taking her seriously.

Her being pretty is a reason to watch, though.

I saw a 15-second commercial and if the show was as good as that was, I'd definitely like it.

81 - 100 of 149 Posts