TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 149 Posts

· Dumb Blond
39,337 Posts
Well, Rauch is the producer too, and Larroquette says that her having that role is what pulled him in. I have not watched the episodes yet (maybe tonight), but don't expect it to be "the same". I loved the original series and thought the series finale was great.

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
I still have the two eps waiting in My Shows, but my thought was that it would be cool if Larroquette were the judge. I know he came on after the fact so, I presume, either the role was not offered him or he rejected it. But I think he would have done well with that role.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well, Rauch is the producer too, and Larroquette says that her having that role is what pulled him in. I have not watched the episodes yet (maybe tonight), but don't expect it to be "the same". I loved the original series and thought the series finale was great.
She's a producer, but not the producer. I don't know what that actually means.

· HD Tech
1,092 Posts
She's a producer, but not the producer. I don't know what that actually means.
Most shows (and movies) have more than one producer and quite often many of them. Same with executive producers. Often writers also get a producer credit. And on very successful shows that run for many seasons, the lead actors usually get a producer credit after a while. Examples: NCIS (and its mutations), BONES, etc.

It's mostly negotiated fluff that means little more than an extra paycheck.

On weekly TV shows of all sorts, the person who makes most if not all decisions is the one producer who is also known as the show runner. The show runner is in charge of all major decisions and there is usually only one of those, despite the credits not reflecting that reality. You can usually Google who the show runner is for a given show.

The hot credit financially used to be "Created By:" That person got a check per episode, and also residuals for reruns on a decreasing sliding scale forever. And they rarely show up at the studio after the first dozen or so episodes. I don't know if that's still the case, as I've been out of that for about five years now. Reinhold Weege got the 'created by' credit on both the original show's eight year run and on this one. EDIT: He died a little more than a decade ago, but it's likely his estate keeps getting those checks.

· Registered
5,087 Posts
I saw the first two episodes and got a few chuckles out of it. They're just setting the stage for the rest of the series with the nostalgia about Harry so I don't expect them to dwell on it too much more. It's basically more of the same from the original series but with a new twist. Putting Dan on the defense adds a new wrinkle to the show so it will be interesting to see how he can twist things to make his clients look good. I see that both Melissa Rauch and John Larroquette both share titles as producers so I'm guessing they collaborated on rebooting the show. The wife and I watched the first two episodes and we both enjoyed it so we'll keep watching it until something offends her in some way (and there's always something). It's hard for me to find shows that she likes to watch so I'm in for as long as she hangs in there with me.

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
I finally watched both eps. It was ok.

Speaking of the laugh track - it seemed so much more prominent than what I'm used to. At least it didn't seem to interrupt the lines but it was pretty loud.

I was glad to see Larroquette. The storyline there, as far as getting him back, seemed pretty predictable. Having the character say they were just there temporarily was kind of silly because you knew it would work out where he would stay.

I thought Rauch was pretty good. I wasn't annoyed by her. Oddly, there was one line in one of these eps where her voice went high, like Bernadette. It wasn't in the court room. I should have made note. Anyway, that was unexpected because I know that the Bernadette voice is not Rauch's normal voice. (aside - I thought it was weird that when the Bernadette character first showed up on TBBT she didn't have the high voice and they worked that in. Same on another show, with a whole 'nother character, but I cannot remember what character/show it was.) Oh never mind. It was Karen Walker on Will & Grace. :)

· Registered
1,844 Posts
Brent Spiner is a much, much better actor than people who only know him as Data give him credit for.
I agree. I'm reading, well listening to his book Mem-Noir Fan-Fiction. It's a hoot and I highly recommend listening to audio book over reading it, since it includes the cast of TNG voicing themselves.

· Dumb Blond
39,337 Posts
My wife and I just watched the first two episodes. Our opinion is that it's pushing the nostalgia bit too much, and we hate the laugh track. There is some potential once it settles down, and I'll keep recording it to see how it goes. I agree that the bailiff role is trying too hard to be another Roz.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,861 Posts
The clerk and prosecutor actors were in Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist. So that was nice. But the dialog rhythm seemed off to me throughout. Too many pauses for the laugh track, maybe. That should improve over time. Not sure I'll be there though.

· LOAD"*",8,1
35,511 Posts
It wasn't even just the timing of the laughing, it was what they were supposedly laughing at. It was like they were laughing at unfinished jokes with no punchlines, or even regular dialog.

This is completely made-up dialog, but it kind of felt like...
Character 1: What am I doing?
(laughter)
Character 2: I don't know, what are you doing?
(incredibly raucous laughter)
Character 1: I don't know, but I should be going.
(wild applause and laughter)

61 - 80 of 149 Posts