TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,449 Posts
I should probably be a little more excited about ATSC 3.0, but I am not. For me, it is sort of like 5G smartphones...meh.

All the 2021 televisions with NextGen TV tuners
You don't need new TVs -- a single HDHomeRun will cover your home network:

https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-HDHR5-4K-Connect-NetGenTV/dp/B08MWV7YTV/

D.C. is going 3.0 March 2nd, but it looks like the 3.0 signals will only be on a low-power station that I can't get. Baltimore is launching on the 23rd (pushed back from the 9th), which looks more promising for me. My HDHR is ready. :)

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,449 Posts
The possibility of improved reception with ATSC 3.0 is real, but not guaranteed. In D.C., there's a low-power station that I had never, ever received when it was broadcasting in ATSC 1.0. They switched to 3.0, and now it comes in rock-solid. (I don't think they increased their power or anything.)

In Baltimore, though, there's a new 3.0 station carrying multiple channels, that fails to match the strength of the 1.0 versions. AFAICT, that's mainly because it's using higher data rates, so more channels will fit, but it makes the signal less robust.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,449 Posts
My HD HomeRun tuners all require a LAN and internet connection whether 3.0 or not. And yes it's creepy but there will be hacks to get around it in many cases.
I'm not sure they do require an Internet connection. But, to be clear -- for those who don't know -- the HDHomeRuns require a LAN connection because that's how they work -- they're network tuners. They don't have video outputs.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,449 Posts
If they don't see the Internet you can't even edit their channel lists even though that's local on your LAN.
I think that's an app thing rather than a device thing. (And, you don't need to use their app.)

But yes they have to be on a LAN at minimum.
Right, and I'm trying to suggest that that isn't "creepy". As headless tuners, they could hardly work any other way.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,449 Posts
Yes. I have an HDHomeRun Flex 4K. And use it with my Plex DVR. But because of the AC-4 audio issue. Where the vast majority of devices cannot decode it. And with it also not working with Plex. I don't record any of the five ATSC 3.0 channels broadcast here in the DC area.

Plus, since they are all sharing the same frequency. The quality is basically the same as their ATSC 1.0 counterparts. So there would really be no advantage for me to be record the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts anyway.
For me, channel 4 (WRC)'s ATSC 1.0 signal comes from a slightly different direction than the other DC stations, and it's always been marginal. But the ATSC 3.0 version is solid.

I use Channels DVR with the HDHR, with Apple TV as the client, and I have no issues with AC-4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts