TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,434 Posts
How will ATSC 3.0 "pull" data from your TV? I can't imagine television manufacturers would spend a single fraction of a cent to put in a transmitter in addition to a receiver on the tuner board.
They'll pull it via the Ethernet jacks and/or Wi-Fi in your TV set. For separate tuner boxes they'll probably offer solutions and incentives like a better EPG to get you to hook up to your internet. My HD HomeRun tuners all require a LAN and internet connection whether 3.0 or not. And yes it's creepy but there will be hacks to get around it in many cases.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,434 Posts
I'm not sure they do require an Internet connection. But, to be clear -- for those who don't know -- the HDHomeRuns require a LAN connection because that's how they work -- they're network tuners. They don't have video outputs.
If they don't see the Internet you can't even edit their channel lists even though that's local on your LAN. Go figure. And of course various Silicon Dust guide-related features wouldn't work. I think there are other limitations, but I haven't tried that too often, and in fact I normally use them only with Channels DVR. But yes they have to be on a LAN at minimum.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,434 Posts
I think that's an app thing rather than a device thing. (And, you don't need to use their app.)
[Edited:] Actually now that I think about it we're both right, kinda sorta. You can also access the tuners' control panels via a web browser, but when there's no internet you can't do that following standard instructions, which make you go through the company's website. There is a way around that, but I only know about it from this forum. It's a longstanding complaint that Silicon Dust only tells people to use the internet for this.

Right, and I'm trying to suggest that that isn't "creepy". As headless tuners, they could hardly work any other way.
When I said "creepy" I was referring to future plans to track viewing habits for behaviorally-targeted advertising and general research via that internet connection. I wasn't referring to the local LAN connection, and I wasn't even referring to premium/pay-per-view OTA broadcasting that would be enabled by the internet connection.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,434 Posts
Surely if TiVo had plans for a 3.0 device they would've said so by now wouldn't they?
Probably not, because then some potential customers would not purchase the current products.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,434 Posts
Omaha just went ATSC 3.0 today. Can a new converter box be added to my OTA TiVO Roamio to help the NBC station reception in my area as well as to remedy the flyover plane issue here, or will I have to wait t=for TiVo to release a new DVR with 3.0 tuners inside it?
There's no converter box that will work with a TiVo, and no sign of a 3.0-compatible TiVo but of course they wouldn't announce that too early as people might stop buying current models. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting though.

I know of one product called ZapperBox that will plug directly into your TV's HDMI jack, and another called the HD HomeRun Flex 4K that plugs into your network. There are free HD HomeRun apps for computers and handheld devices that you can use to watch TV from the Flex 4K, and the Flex 4K it can become a DVR with addition of an external hard disk and a small annual fee. It can also serve other TiVo replacement player/DVR software like Channels DVR, Plex, or Emby which also require monthly/annual fees.

I find Channels DVR much better than the HD HomeRun software as a TiVo replacement and I prefer it over the others too, but like everyone else they're still working out the bugs in their ATSC 3.0 implementation — and there are also 3.0 problems and inconsistencies at the broadcasters — so I'm kind of glad 3.0 hasn't yet rolled out in my area.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,434 Posts
Tablo had expected to be launching their 3.0 compatible DVR this spring, but the current status is "delayed because of evolving DRM broadcast rights". Apparently, broadcast station owners have announced their intent to encrypt their signals. Which begs the question, why does a free OTA signal need to be encrypted? Does this signal the beginning of the end for free OTA?
Originally they were only talking about using DRM for premium OTA programming you'd have to pay for (authorized via your local tuner's internet connection) and not for all of their programming. We'll see. There's a lot of potential evil in 3.0, including privacy issues (via that internet connection). The industry and regulators are way behind in developing standards and limits for this.

As I understand it, the Silicon Dust HD HomeRun Flex 4K is ready for that DRM, but only with their own software. I don't have a lot of hope that Channels DVR will ever do the same, given that the HDHR Prime for CableCARD supports DRM channels only with HDHR software while Channels DVR only gets non-DRM channels from that device.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts