TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
I'm just saying they can't do it in 2.5 years, by 2030 maybe. People can also stream Seinfeld on their own schedule
Why not? Why don't you think they can do it? Cutting costs and moving toward more profitable programming is a good start. We've seen hundreds of companies turn things around in that short of time.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I really think we've gone from the golden age of TV where for about 20 years we got a slew of great scripted content, to the beancounters controlling everything, which means we'll get hours upon hours of this stuff (and lots and lots of ads, on EVERY platform). Sorry to say but this is where we are heading, if we aren't there already.
As Data once said, "That particular form of entertainment did not last much beyond the year Two Thousand Forty." (ST:TNG "The Neutral Zone", S1E25) It may not even last that long at this rate.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I am hoping that this news doesn't wind up impacting any further episodes (airing on The CW) of Dead Pixels. It's imported (U.K. based show) but pretty entertaining in my opinion. Would prefer not to have to put in too much effort to find future episodes.
I find it hard to believe a show with that title would be entertaining, but I guess it depends on your taste.

·
Nice to see you
12,131 Posts
I'd watch Whose Line if they'd ever get around to making more episodes. I thought I heard that they had, but so far, all I've seen are the years-old ones they keep playing over and over again.
New episodes begin on Friday, October 14. (The previous season had only 10 new episodes, which began airing on October 9, 2021. I can't find anywhere how many episodes the upcoming season is going to be.)

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I am hoping that this news doesn't wind up impacting any further episodes (airing on The CW) of Dead Pixels. It's imported (U.K. based show) but pretty entertaining in my opinion. Would prefer not to have to put in too much effort to find future episodes.
I don’t know how many episodes the CW aired but the UK only produced 2 seasons of 6 episodes each and I don’t see any indication more are forthcoming.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
I find it hard to believe a show with that title would be entertaining, but I guess it depends on your taste.
If you are familiar with games like World of Warcraft then you'd find Dead Pixels to be very, very funny.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
I don’t know how many episodes the CW aired but the UK only produced 2 seasons of 6 episodes each and I don’t see any indication more are forthcoming.
I thought I saw something that another season was coming, but it may just have been wishful thinking.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I don't know anything about the show, but "don't judge a book by it's cover," and by extension, "don't judge a show by it's title."

There have been shows that are beloved by some that don't have the greatest of titles. ("Pushing Daisies," for one that springs to mind; "Better Off Ted," for another.)

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I don't know anything about the show, but "don't judge a book by it's cover," and by extension, "don't judge a show by it's title."

There have been shows that are beloved by some that don't have the greatest of titles. ("Pushing Daisies," for one that springs to mind; "Better Off Ted," for another.)
Those were good shows.

I missed part of one episode of "Ted" because of a sports delay or something and there was never a rerun.

I either didn't record it because at one time recording was just for when there were two shows at once, or I didn't know to add time.

·
Excellent.
23,837 Posts
I really think we've gone from the golden age of TV where for about 20 years we got a slew of great scripted content, to the beancounters controlling everything, which means we'll get hours upon hours of this stuff (and lots and lots of ads, on EVERY platform). Sorry to say but this is where we are heading, if we aren't there already.
Did you know that through June of this year, 357 new scripted series debuted? 357! There’s a lot of unscripted out there too, but we are at the opposite end of the world you are describing.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Did you know that through June of this year, 357 new scripted series debuted? 357! There’s a lot of unscripted out there too, but we are at the opposite end of the world you are describing.
That's only because there's so many different venues. I bet that number goes down, especially on free/cable TV. Lots of these scripted shows have been planned for a few years, so way before the beancounters started taking over these streamers. But take a look at HBO and the increase number of True Crime and biography shows on recently. Then, when you consider who now runs the company, folks who's bread and butter are low cost reality / non-fiction type series and the fact that they are cutting anything that seems to cost a lot. Sure there will always be scripted series, but more and more you're going to have to pay much more for the privilege of watching them, either through increased fees (as we are seeing quite often now) or having to sit through an increase of ads (which is coming). Again, we have a habit of looking at the way things are no, and not at what's coming. Saying there's 357 scripted series debuting NOW does tell us anything about what's going to happen 3,4,5 years from now. I saw this similar evolution on cable to where we got few ads in the early days to where networks have to extend the length of airing times to fit in more ads. We saw a whole host of clever new series in the early to mid 2000s to many fewer now and many (most) now filled with reality TV and endless reruns of Law and Order and Friends. Look at TBS, TNT, AMC and look at their schedules. Sure, it's less so on streaming, only because they offer us a choice of 1000s of show/movies and whatever to watch. So for traditional TV, I see it moving to the new model, for streamers, I see it moving to being much more ad based, with the possibility of many of them eventually dropping their ad free tiers and increase subscriber fees. Why? Because the party is now over and the beancounters and shareholders will start to hold sway, and that's especially true for streamers where traditional media companies have a heavy stake.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
That's only because there's so many different venues. I bet that number goes down, especially on free/cable TV. Lots of these scripted shows have been planned for a few years, so way before the beancounters started taking over these streamers. But take a look at HBO and the increase number of True Crime and biography shows on recently. Then, when you consider who now runs the company, folks who's bread and butter are low cost reality / non-fiction type series and the fact that they are cutting anything that seems to cost a lot. Sure there will always be scripted series, but more and more you're going to have to pay much more for the privilege of watching them, either through increased fees (as we are seeing quite often now) or having to sit through an increase of ads (which is coming). Again, we have a habit of looking at the way things are no, and not at what's coming. Saying there's 357 scripted series debuting NOW does tell us anything about what's going to happen 3,4,5 years from now. I saw this similar evolution on cable to where we got few ads in the early days to where networks have to extend the length of airing times to fit in more ads. We saw a whole host of clever new series in the early to mid 2000s to many fewer now and many (most) now filled with reality TV and endless reruns of Law and Order and Friends. Look at TBS, TNT, AMC and look at their schedules. Sure, it's less so on streaming, only because they offer us a choice of 1000s of show/movies and whatever to watch. So for traditional TV, I see it moving to the new model, for streamers, I see it moving to being much more ad based, with the possibility of many of them eventually dropping their ad free tiers and increase subscriber fees. Why? Because the party is now over and the beancounters and shareholders will start to hold sway, and that's especially true for streamers where traditional media companies have a heavy stake.
Yep.

Landgraf is highly regarded to know what he’s talking about with “peak TV” (he coined the phrase).

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Yep.

Landgraf is highly regarded to know what he’s talking about with “peak TV” (he coined the phrase).

I had completely forgotten about the "COVID BUMP" Lot's in production stuff that was delayed by Covid related issues all starring to come out now. FX Networks is one of the few traditional networks that seems to be coming out with a lot of new scripted stuff. My theory on that is, well, they don't really have a big presence in the streaming space (though they do have a partnership with Hulu, it's not their own "owned" platform). Comcast, Disney, DTW, CBS/Paramount are all trying to push their streaming services so a lot of the more interesting content is going there. FOX (and FX) doesn't have that need at the moment (though they DO own Tubi, but not the same thing). So whatever new stuff they have needs a home on traditional TV. But yeah, I agree, I think we've hit the peak, at least via traditional TV.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I had completely forgotten about the "COVID BUMP" Lot's in production stuff that was delayed by Covid related issues all starring to come out now. FX Networks is one of the few traditional networks that seems to be coming out with a lot of new scripted stuff. My theory on that is, well, they don't really have a big presence in the streaming space (though they do have a partnership with Hulu, it's not their own "owned" platform). Comcast, Disney, DTW, CBS/Paramount are all trying to push their streaming services so a lot of the more interesting content is going there. FOX (and FX) doesn't have that need at the moment (though they DO own Tubi, but not the same thing). So whatever new stuff they have needs a home on traditional TV. But yeah, I agree, I think we've hit the peak, at least via traditional TV.
Fx is now owned by Disney along with all the other former Fox cable networks minus FS1, FS2, Fox business and the Fox broadcast network.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yep.

From the article linked above:

His research team has estimated that during the first six months of 2022, there were 357 scripted originals across broadcast, cable and streaming, which was up 16% from the same period last year.
That's everything currently in production, old and new.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Fx is now owned by Disney along with all the other former Fox cable networks minus FS1, FS2, Fox business and the Fox broadcast network.
You are completely right. I had forgotten they were part of that purchase (and for some reason still thought they were owned by News Corp). So I take back what I said then. Though they STILL seem to be running more original scripted programming than a lot of the other cable networks at this point.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
FX has plenty of streaming exclusive shows.

·
Skin cancer I need like a hole in the head.
5,868 Posts
I'm 72. I don't watch any unscripted, aka reality, shows. Nor am I interested in sports. So I guess the CW is out for me. I am trying to think of one CW show that I watched besides Supernatural. Tried The Flash and Vampire Diaries but wasn't interested. Didn't even try Riverdale. Was Everybody Hates Chris on the CW? I did watch that. I think it started on the short lived UPN network and moved to the CW.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts