TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
CW profitable by 2025 ?, someone is trying to sell bridges again.
Cheap programming and syndication is highly profitable. That's their aim. Just look around broadcast TV (and lots of cable channels) and see what's airing. There's any number of game shows, reality shows disguised as game shows (Survivor, Big Brother, and so forth), cooking shows, true crime shows. These shows are cheap to make, don't require hiring expensive actors, or special effects or any number of things that costs studios and TV production crews a lot of cash. And syndication has done well for channels since the 1950s. Don't think people watch endless reruns of Seinfeld and CSI? Of course they do? That's why so many channels are showing it. Heck, I watch Seinfeld most nights. So I think if the goal is to be profitable, they are better off doing this than showing the third rate scripted shows that have given them barely a blip in the ratings. Sorry, we may not like it as viewers, but we aren't necessarily stockholders either. I really think we've gone from the golden age of TV where for about 20 years we got a slew of great scripted content, to the beancounters controlling everything, which means we'll get hours upon hours of this stuff (and lots and lots of ads, on EVERY platform). Sorry to say but this is where we are heading, if we aren't there already.

·
Administrator
9,728 Posts
I think the last enjoyable content I watched on the CW was the first couple of seasons of Smallville 20 years ago.

Reactions: ufo4sale

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Most of what I've been DVRing for the last 5-10 years have been CW shows. I guess I'll be watching a lot less broadcast.
The bulk of my watching probably came from the CW as well. Ive watched all the DC shows. Never cared for much of their other programming but still. Looks like CW will be losing another viewer.
Unfortunately (for you) the DC fans aren't enough viewers to sustain a broadcast network and the ratings prove that out. I don't know for certain but shows like Who's Line and Penn and Teller get better ratings than the DC shows? Maybe that's what they are seeing? Or, those shows cost so much less to make that even if they rate lower they can make more of a profit on them (Ad Revenue - Show Cost = more profit on the unscripted shows). My son is a huge DC fan and when I told him about this, his first reaction..."Dad you can now cut the cord" :)

·
Ambassador to the City of Chicago
739 Posts
Interesting. Wonder if this will have any impact in the Chicago market - WGN, back in the Tribune days, passed on it's CW contract renewal due to the amount of sports pre-emptions - CW went over to WPWR, and is now on WCIU.

Now, most of the sports WGN used to air have either gone to NBC Sports Chicago or Marquee, and Nexstar owns WGN. Maybe a reunion at the next renewal?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,370 Posts
I think the last enjoyable content I watched on the CW was the first couple of seasons of Smallville 20 years ago.
Same.
My son is a huge DC fan and when I told him about this, his first reaction..."Dad you can now cut the cord" :)
Ironically, you don't need "the cord" to watch The CW since it's an antenna channel.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
Same.

Ironically, you don't need "the cord" to watch The CW since it's an antenna channel.
Well yes, where I live, you need a "cord" because unless I wanted to put up a powerful antenna, we need "the cord" to see it. We don't get good enough reception. Last year, we gave DirectTV stream a try, but, the one local they didn't have a contract with was Nextstar owned WPIX, our CW affiliate. But, at the time there was Locast, which we paid a few dollars a month for to supplement D* Stream so we could get the CW and setup a Channels server to record the CW content (sure we could have streamed it, but we didn't want to deal with those pesky ads.) That worked rather well until Locast went belly up. We tried an indoor antenna, and an outdoor antenna in the attic and in both cases the reception was so hit or miss that it became too frustrating and we just went back to DirecTV satellite. So this is the reason this news about the CW prompted my son (who's an avid superhero show/movie fan) to make that comment. In a year, when my contract expires with satellite, we'll see what the landscape looks like. So much is changing that it could look vastly different.

·
It's Just TV
27,142 Posts
I am hoping that this news doesn't wind up impacting any further episodes (airing on The CW) of Dead Pixels. It's imported (U.K. based show) but pretty entertaining in my opinion. Would prefer not to have to put in too much effort to find future episodes.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I am hoping that this news doesn't wind up impacting any further episodes (airing on The CW) of Dead Pixels. It's imported (U.K. based show) but pretty entertaining in my opinion. Would prefer not to have to put in too much effort to find future episodes.
Actually, I'm guessing that that import shows like that will probably be part of what Nexstar will lean on with their new programming strategy, since they don't have to worry about paying for the full production costs of the show.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Cheap programming and syndication is highly profitable. That's their aim. Just look around broadcast TV (and lots of cable channels) and see what's airing. There's any number of game shows, reality shows disguised as game shows (Survivor, Big Brother, and so forth), cooking shows, true crime shows. These shows are cheap to make, don't require hiring expensive actors, or special effects or any number of things that costs studios and TV production crews a lot of cash. And syndication has done well for channels since the 1950s. Don't think people watch endless reruns of Seinfeld and CSI? Of course they do? That's why so many channels are showing it. Heck, I watch Seinfeld most nights. So I think if the goal is to be profitable, they are better off doing this than showing the third rate scripted shows that have given them barely a blip in the ratings. Sorry, we may not like it as viewers, but we aren't necessarily stockholders either. I really think we've gone from the golden age of TV where for about 20 years we got a slew of great scripted content, to the beancounters controlling everything, which means we'll get hours upon hours of this stuff (and lots and lots of ads, on EVERY platform). Sorry to say but this is where we are heading, if we aren't there already.
I'm just saying they can't do it in 2.5 years, by 2030 maybe. People can also stream Seinfeld on their own schedule

21 - 40 of 94 Posts