TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Short version:
  • Nexstar takes over operation of The CW, effective immediately
  • Current owners CBS and Warner Brothers Discovery reduce their financial ownership stakes to 12.5% each
  • New programming will be primarily unscripted and syndicated content, although the current "holdover" scripted shows that haven't been canceled will continue for now.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
They're talking about this on the KTLA Morning News today (Nextar also owns KTLA).
They're quoting the Nextar CFO:
"It's no secret that the CW is not profitable, but this is not typical for fully-distributed broadcast or cable networks. In fact, according to SNL Kagan data, no other broadcast network operates at an ongoing loss... You know us. We are profit and cash flow focused and expect this asset to achieve profitability."

Huh. I'm out of touch. I didn't realize the CW wasn't profitable. I thought there was a market for pretty Canadians with super powers and angst.

I wonder what unscripted content aimed at seniors they're going to come out with.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given that The CW will be primarily unscripted and syndicated content, and FOX (since the 20th Century/Disney merger) is primarily unscripted and sports broadcasts... I'd say we're seeing the beginning of the end for broadcast television.

I wonder which of the "big three" (ABC, NBC, CBS) will cave next?

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I don’t see Nexstar itself creating much content at all to fill these holes once they gut current programming.

They're going to leverage all the news departments at all their local stations and shovel that crap to a nationwide audience. ie: Academy Awards special, produced by our partners at KTLA!

They can also now beam their Newsnation content directly over their air to air on all the local CW stations.

It makes sense on paper, except who wants to watch that? Oh right, the olds. 🙄

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They're going to leverage all the news departments at all their local stations and shovel that crap to a nationwide audience. ie: Academy Awards special, produced by our partners at KTLA!
NewsNation, you mean. (NewsNation is Nexstar's attempt to leverage local news stations to create a national news network. They're branding anything shared from a local station with a national audience as "NewsNation.")

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
This does not give me good feelings for the Babylon 5 reboot that's supposed to go to pilot next year.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
NewsNation, you mean. (NewsNation is Nexstar's attempt to leverage local news stations to create a national news network. They're branding anything shared from a local station with a national audience as "NewsNation.")
Well yes, that too.

But I was thinking more travel/lifestyle/food content from local stations repurposed into national content. Stuff that wouldn’t make it to Newsnation.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Heh, I guess news and sports kinda makes sense.

I was picturing unscripted content aimed at old people like "Survivor: Senior Edition", "The Bachelor: Senior Edition", "So You Think Seniors Can Dance", ...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts