TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
tgmii said:
I'll be escalating too. I'm waiting until cablevision rewires the outside of my house, which will make the signal as good as it can get. I've been playing around with splitters today, and adding an additional leg causes much more pixelation, so I'm hoping that if they dramatically improve the signal (is at 93 now.. by tivo's screen), it will go away.

I find no pixelation acceptable. I agree with the other statement made, I'd rather stick with my series2 with no pixelation than trying to watch with pixelation.

There is a very real possibility that if this doesn't improve it will go back.

> 30 days is not acceptable. Again, hoping the marginal signal (ok for cable box, not for TivoHD) is the problem.

Tom
I sincerely hope this remedies the problem for you, but do not have high hopes. I can tell you from my time troubleshooting that pixelation occurs on stations that I have a signal strength of 100 on the Tivo meter, although I think it is less than stations I have lower signal strength on.

· Registered
311 Posts
aaronwt said:
I'm saving money with my TiVoHD. Comcast's HD DVR would cost more over 3 years than the TiVoHD will cost me.
For me it is about a wash from a cost perspective (actually about $3.50 more per month per Tivo HD) when I amortize the cost of the Tivos and the subscription fee upfront payments at a nominal rate.

· Registered
311 Posts
TiVoPony said:
Hey guys,

We are aware that some of you are still reporting macroblocking or pixelation on certain channels. The team here continues to gather information to understand possible causes - they're making good headway.

The update we released on August 1st has proven to fix the issue for some customers, and we are working hard on a fix for the remaining cases. We will provide more concrete information as we can.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and the detailed feedback you've been providing.

Pony
He thanks for the update. Anything we should be doing in terms of troubleshooting this issue once it has been excalated to engineering with a trouble ticket?

I have Cablevision coming tomorrow to check the signal as I was told if it is less than 94 this can contribute to the problem, is this the case?

· Registered
311 Posts
hank12345 said:
I'm happy to see TiVoPony chime in on the problem-- he has been a good voice of reason, and source of information all the years I have been lurking around these forums--- He is one of the reasons I have so few posts--- My questions are answered by simply searching the forums-- no need to post!

That said, his post here makes me a little nervous--- that TiVo feels the majority of the issues have been fixed, where as it seems to me that almost an equal number of us still have less than acceptable picture quality....

Should those of us TiVo HD owners that are still experiencing picture quality issues consolidate, and post our specific issues into one new "uber" post--- leaving out our opinions, suggestions and arguments, and just post the facts of what we are experiencing? Maybe this will show the magnitude of the issue, and provide TiVo the facts without the conjecture....

If ya'll think this idea is sound, I ask that TivoPony start the thread-- and we post our Tivo issues there-- thoughts?
I posted a poll thread in hopes that this would show the magnitude of the problem. If you have not added to this thread please do.

· Registered
311 Posts
GoHokies! said:
Just because there is a problem unrelated to signal strength with some units doesn't mean that the problem with EVERY unit is unrelated to signal strength. I'm certain that some people experiencing pixelation problems can fix the problem by fixing their signal strength problems. Why am I certain of that? Because I'm one of them, so go stuff your "extensive experience" in your piehole. :down:
Interesting, I looked back on your past posts and I could not find where you said you were experienceing this issue on a Tivo HD, nor a post that said you remedied it either on your own, or through support of the cable company to improve your signal strength. Can you share what the signal strength was when you experienced pixelation on your Tivo HD, and what level was required to remedy the problem? Also how was the improved strength acheived?

· Registered
311 Posts
bastion999 said:
I'm positive it's an THD problem and not signal strength, at least in my case. Previous to the THD I had a Comcast provided 8300HD that would experience pixelization once every 4-5 recorded or live hours of HD content. And then it would be for 1-2 seconds at most.

After installing the THD on the same drop (removing the 8300HD), pixelization on analog, SD, and HD content every 3-4 minutes. Swap back out for the 8300, clear signal.

This, along with the growing complaints leads me to believe these is a root problem NOT related to signal strength (90-93 BTW).
Not disagreeing, you are probably right, but the Tech. at Tivo told me the Tivo with CC might require a stronger signal than the 8300, as I told them exactly the same thing as I did exactly the same test.

I have Cablevision coming to the house today to check my signal to ensure this is not the issue in my case, I will post results later today.

· Registered
311 Posts
bmgoodman said:
Any chance that heat is contributing? Perhaps try leaving your Tivo off for most of a day and see if the macroblocking disappears, but returns once the Tivo is in operation for x hours.

Just throwing in a SWAG for your consideration.
Nope, check the trobleshooting thread, I already tested this.

· Registered
311 Posts
AZFXSTB said:
Same here, I have updated the Drive to a Sammy 500 and still see the same issues. This is a WAG but I think it has to do with processing the digi channels and decoding them from the cable card. If I understand the CC they are just the key the Tivo still has to uncode and display the programing. Even when you are in a menu the Tivo is still decoding the channel in the background so that is why i think you see it in a menu also..like I said this is a WAG so don't take this to heart
Read the Troubleshooting thread, I saw the same issue with one of the Tivo videos today, which has nothing to do with the cable cards. My guess is something to do with MPEG decoding / CPU utilization.

· Registered
311 Posts
jfh3 said:
If you swapped out the box in question and the problem remained, the odds are 99.99% that the problem is cable and not Tivo related.
Nothing like a BS statistic from the Fanboys to end the argument :rolleyes:

I am 87% sure that 79% of the Tivo HDs that have SA SCards have pixelation during 93% of shows and in 92% of the cases it is a problem with the Tivo HD as I have polled 3% of the users who have been watching their Tivo HDs 34% of the time. In addition I am 99.99% sure that anyone quoting statistics on this board is 99.99% FOS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.