TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Tivo Pony =)!
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to another forum member:

Chimpware said:
OK, just got a call back from Dave at Tivo Tech. Support, supposedly the level that acts as go between for customers and engineering, as my issue regarding pixelation was escalated to engineering.

Here is whats I was told:

1. 8.17b was meant to fix slot 2 issues as well as a large portion of people's issues related to pixelation. When I told him this was not the case from what I have been reading on the TivoCommunity forum, he said he also is having the same issue on his personal Tivo HD, but views it as more of an annoyance than a big issue. I told him that in my opinion what is the point of having an HD device that has poor picture quality, when you could have an SD device with no pixelation, or a cable supplied box that works correctly? To this he agreed.

2. He claimed they are working on a further update aimed at repairing this issue. When I asked what the ETA was he said he did not have one, but expected it to be in the next month or 2. When I told him most of us were working on a 30 day return window, he said he would pass that along, but was not hopeful.

So it looks like from what I was told today many of us will be returning our Tivo HD units in the next few week.
Looks like a disaster... I have it happen approximately 12-15 times every 10 minutes, and while I'm a huge TiVo fan, this is absurd. I may be returning my $300 3-year TiVo service and $260 (on the circuit city deal) TiVo HD box shortly. Clock's ticking, TiVo...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll be escalating too. I'm waiting until cablevision rewires the outside of my house, which will make the signal as good as it can get. I've been playing around with splitters today, and adding an additional leg causes much more pixelation, so I'm hoping that if they dramatically improve the signal (is at 93 now.. by tivo's screen), it will go away.

I find no pixelation acceptable. I agree with the other statement made, I'd rather stick with my series2 with no pixelation than trying to watch with pixelation.

There is a very real possibility that if this doesn't improve it will go back.

> 30 days is not acceptable. Again, hoping the marginal signal (ok for cable box, not for TivoHD) is the problem.

Tom

·
Registered
312 Posts
tgmii said:
I'll be escalating too. I'm waiting until cablevision rewires the outside of my house, which will make the signal as good as it can get. I've been playing around with splitters today, and adding an additional leg causes much more pixelation, so I'm hoping that if they dramatically improve the signal (is at 93 now.. by tivo's screen), it will go away.

I find no pixelation acceptable. I agree with the other statement made, I'd rather stick with my series2 with no pixelation than trying to watch with pixelation.

> 30 days is not acceptable. Again, hoping the marginal signal (ok for cable box, not for TivoHD) is the problem.

Tom
I sincerely hope this remedies the problem for you, but do not have high hopes. I can tell you from my time troubleshooting that pixelation occurs on stations that I have a signal strength of 100 on the Tivo meter, although I think it is less than stations I have lower signal strength on.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
tgmii said:

Tom
I don't think this problem is only signal level as I have not observed any pixelation with the signal meter at 43. For about 1/2 sec I saw some pixelation once on the TiVo menu (other have also) and this sure has nothing to do with signal level.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
jmpage2 said:
Why are we paying extra for Tivo again?

:rolleyes:
I'm saving money with my TiVoHD. Comcast's HD DVR would cost more over 3 years than the TiVoHD will cost me.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
aaronwt said:
I'm saving money with my TiVoHD. Comcast's HD DVR would cost more over 3 years than the TiVoHD will cost me.
I think your situation is not the norm.

In any event, most consumers won't outlay $299 for Tivo HD and subscribe for 3-years at another $299 if it has picture quality issues not present on the cable company box.

·
Registered
312 Posts
aaronwt said:
For me it is about a wash from a cost perspective (actually about $3.50 more per month per Tivo HD) when I amortize the cost of the Tivos and the subscription fee upfront payments at a nominal rate.

·
UHD Addict
23,268 Posts
jmpage2 said:
I think your situation is not the norm.

In any event, most consumers won't outlay $299 for Tivo HD and subscribe for 3-years at another $299 if it has picture quality issues not present on the cable company box.
I also got my tiVoHD for $250 and it's $6.95 a month. If I had the comcast HD DVR they would be charging me around $15 a month. They also aren't charging me for any of my cable cards with my Series 3. That's one reason I won't get CC for my TiVoHD, I don't want to mess up my current billing. It's been consistent for several months now, which I think is a record for me. It used to change every month and I had to constantly call to get them to correct everything.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey guys,

We are aware that some of you are still reporting macroblocking or pixelation on certain channels. The team here continues to gather information to understand possible causes - they're making good headway.

The update we released on August 1st has proven to fix the issue for some customers, and we are working hard on a fix for the remaining cases. We will provide more concrete information as we can.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and the detailed feedback you've been providing.

Pony

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got a TiVo HD a week ago. I've had a Series 2 for about 6 years and love Tivo. Got frustrated by the Comcast/Moto HD DVR so got a TiVo HD. Returned it today. I don't think it's ready for prime time.

Very slow menu navigation. The Aug 1 SW update didn't fix the pixelation / macroblocking issue (happens every few minutes, both on live TV and recordings, and when you do instant replay, half the time it's there again, and half the time not), and the SW update introduced a new issue (grey screen for a few secs when changing channels).

I hope TiVo fixes the issues, and I'll monitor the boards, but I'm waiting on the sidelines for now. And hopefully we'll get a definitive answer on SDV.

·
Registered
312 Posts
TiVoPony said:
Hey guys,

We are aware that some of you are still reporting macroblocking or pixelation on certain channels. The team here continues to gather information to understand possible causes - they're making good headway.

The update we released on August 1st has proven to fix the issue for some customers, and we are working hard on a fix for the remaining cases. We will provide more concrete information as we can.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and the detailed feedback you've been providing.

Pony
He thanks for the update. Anything we should be doing in terms of troubleshooting this issue once it has been excalated to engineering with a trouble ticket?

I have Cablevision coming tomorrow to check the signal as I was told if it is less than 94 this can contribute to the problem, is this the case?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm happy to see TiVoPony chime in on the problem-- he has been a good voice of reason, and source of information all the years I have been lurking around these forums--- He is one of the reasons I have so few posts--- My questions are answered by simply searching the forums-- no need to post!

That said, his post here makes me a little nervous--- that TiVo feels the majority of the issues have been fixed, where as it seems to me that almost an equal number of us still have less than acceptable picture quality....

Should those of us TiVo HD owners that are still experiencing picture quality issues consolidate, and post our specific issues into one new "uber" post--- leaving out our opinions, suggestions and arguments, and just post the facts of what we are experiencing? Maybe this will show the magnitude of the issue, and provide TiVo the facts without the conjecture....

If ya'll think this idea is sound, I ask that TivoPony start the thread-- and we post our Tivo issues there-- thoughts?

·
Tivonation Citizen
956 Posts
stream said:
and the SW update introduced a new issue (grey screen for a few secs when changing channels).
Did you check your output resolution again? native? 1080i/720p fixed or hybrid? Sometimes that setting gets changed after a reboot, and if it's changing resolutions, maybe there is additional handshake with your TV.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.