TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Seenyer Member
2,082 Posts
Stanley Rohner said:
Anyone that HAS an HR20 not just listened to a bunch of negative talk about them at a TiVo forum likes the HR20.
Anyone? You must post much more than you read.

:p

It took me a couple of weeks + of waiting before I received 6.3d (this while it was in the stream). So it might be a good amount of time before 6.3e comes your way.

·
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop
861 Posts
Redux said:
OK. I am wrong. There is obviously some compelling purpose for posting childish stuff like this, since half a dozen of you are doing it relentlessly. What am I missing? What is the motivation to come into a Tivo forum to thumb your nose at those who have chosen to stay with Tivo? I am far beyond complaining now, just bewildered.
Makes you wonder if there are some DTV marketing dollars at work here. I mean, TiVo community is quite the resource for about 2.7 million or so DTV/TiVo customers. It's a large enough customer base that I could see DTV funding some long time members to a) talk up the HR20, and b) spread some TiVo FUD.

Really, what are the possibilities for their motivation:

a) They are getting DTV funding through dollars/free equipment/free service.
b) They work for DTV, maybe on the HR20 development team.
c) They don't like TiVo, maybe from a bad customer experience.
d) DBSTalk is just not that fun of a place. The party is better over here.
e) The dreaded investment reasons. They short TiVo stock.
f) They have just a benevolent heart, and wish to spread their goodwill.

Maybe someone should create a poll because I would like to see what others on this site think.

I don't think DTV influence is beyond the realm of possibility. Especially when you consider what the CEO of Whole Foods had been doing on message boards relating to a competitor.

·
Registered
234 Posts
stevel said:
You can't force it. It may be sitting on your hard disk already - using TiVoWebPlus to look at the "swsystem" node in MFS will tell you.
Thanks Stevel. I checked that, it's been 6.3a and 6.3b since I originally zippered it back in January. That's what was on the Instant Cake disk I downloaded...

Code:
Directory listing of /SwSystem
Name	Type	Id	Date Time	Size
6.3a-01-2-357	tyDb	53870	09/25/06 00:41	 772
6.3b-01-2-357	tyDb	104607	01/16/07 12:13	 796
ACTIVE	tyDb	104607	01/16/07 12:13	 796
I answered yes to "caller ID" when I originally ran the Enhancement Script back then but I never plugged in a phone line. I recently reran the Enhancement Script to get the new TWP v2.0.0 :D and answered no to "caller ID".

My (limited) understanding of the Enhancement Script from reading the readme is that if I answer no to "caller ID" and plug in a phone line, I could lose all my hacks. Can anybody confirm that by answering yes to "caller ID" and plugging in a phone line I will get me the latest slices but prevent their installation?

Thereafter, I should be able to use the Slicer to install the upgrade without losing my hacks. This would make me happy. But, I don't want to risk losing my hacks and having to go through the hassle of re-hacking the box just for an upgrade. Frankly, I'm OK with 6.3b.

Presumably, the current Instant Cake has the latest slices but then I would probably lose me recordings, etc.

Maybe I can use a different approach: Can the Slicer install slices from a remote source? Or, can I FTP slices into the HR10?

·
Dumb Blond
46,614 Posts
I don't use scripts and have never heard of "Enhancement Script".

Enabling caller ID just means installing a piece of software that listens for the CID info and overlays it on the screen. By itself, it would not affect other hacks.

I have installed updates "in place" without losing hacks. I do it manually, so can't comment on what tools such as "Slicer" do. The basic approach is:

1. Edit the upgrade script to comment out the restart and add a parameter for version
2. Run the script naming the version to upgrade to
3. Copy a hack-enabling kernel to the other partition
4. Apply tivoapp patches as desired
5. Disable netfilter
6. Update the bootflags to specify the other partition
7. Restart

I have glossed over some details and probably left something out - haven't done this for a few months (I'm still running 6.3c, but 6.3e is on my disk.)

I will note that the tivoapp patch locations are different in 6.3e than in the earlier versions, so any scripts you use that haven't been updated won't work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The "Enhancement Script" is what installs the rest of the hacks when you use The Zipper. I have found that something about installing The Zipper on my systems causes them to fail call ins at the Negotiating stage.

Thread for forcing call in to Zippered box.

Another project I am working on.

I have installed updates "in place" without losing hacks. I do it manually, so can't comment on what tools such as "Slicer" do. The basic approach is:

1. Edit the upgrade script to comment out the restart and add a parameter for version
2. Run the script naming the version to upgrade to
3. Copy a hack-enabling kernel to the other partition
4. Apply tivoapp patches as desired
5. Disable netfilter
6. Update the bootflags to specify the other partition
7. Restart

I have glossed over some details and probably left something out - haven't done this for a few months (I'm still running 6.3c, but 6.3e is on my disk.)
I know basically what you are doing, but am lost in the details. One of the reasons I am keeping the Tivo boxes. I am relearning some of the Linux knowledge I have let leak out of my brain the last few years. My next project is to learn how to use Joe to edit files via telnet. Basic kindergarden for alot of the people here, but we all start somewhere.

Thanks for the info.

Don

·
Dumb Blond
46,614 Posts
Well, then, you want a different forum. I can't link to it directly, but do a Google search for "TiVo DirecTiVo Hacking". You'll find a forum with "database" in its name. Start with the Newbie section, read the stickies. Then look at the Series 2 Support section.

·
Registered
234 Posts
stevel said:
You can find the "Enhancement Script", also called "tweak.sh", here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=250680

It is installed by The Zipper, here:

http://www.mastersav.com/tivo_zipper.html

When the "Enhancement Script" installs NCID, it changes the router settings and "upgradesoftware=false" flag.

DonDon said:
I think DonDon is on the right track (for answering my question at least).

In answer to Don's original question, I found the Instant Cake image well worth the $20 when I Zippered my new disk. The peace of mind in having a clean backup is worth it. And, I was much happier with my HR10 when I put in a bigger hard drive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, then, you want a different forum. I can't link to it directly, but do a Google search for "TiVo DirecTiVo Hacking". You'll find a forum with "database" in its name. Start with the Newbie section, read the stickies. Then look at the Series 2 Support section.
Yesterday 06:39 PM
Whodaman?

Stevel daman!

Thanks, got the editing thing down. Next project is to figure out FTPing.

The little trick about changing the file system to rw is not documented in very many places for us noobs. Oh well, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Thanks again,

and remember, be kind to a noob. You were one once too.

Don

·
No intent to annoy
1,565 Posts
20TIL6 said:
Makes you wonder if there are some DTV marketing dollars at work here.
There's no question about that, and there are some honest ones who will admit that marketing connection. But it doesn't account for all of it. Some of these people think they have a holy cause, leading us out of our Tivo bondage and into the DirecTV right. Others think if they shout loud enough they can overcome their doubts and convince themselves they have made the right decision.

The decision to abandon Tivo and go with a competitor is not automatically by defintion a wrong decsion. IF I couldn't get HiDef locals OTA (the best HiDef available), AND IF the DirecTV temporary stranglehold on some sports packages were crucial to my entertainment well-being, AND IF I could live with the DirecTV crippled "hidef lite" AND IF I _believed_, year after year after year all the pie in the sky HiDef promises from DirecTV, I might make the same decision.

The difference between me and these very strange people is that I would simply move my technical discussions of that competitor somewhere else. I would continue to participate in TCF discussions of various kinds, but I would not sh|t where I eat.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.