TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, which everyone else seems to have done already... LOL

I'm in a similar position as DonDon. I zippered my HR10 a while ago (InstantCake). I used the enhancement script (no phone line). Still on 6.3b, no later slices.

How do I force the download of the 6.3e slices so I can use the Slicer to upgrade my HR10 without wiping out all my hacks?

(btw: I'm not getting the HR20 because I don't want a new contract. I have no contract right now. I'm waiting to see what options other providers have available in the coming months. UVerse is coming to my town... right now. Charter cable is having cow as result.)

·
Registered
234 Posts
stevel said:
You can't force it. It may be sitting on your hard disk already - using TiVoWebPlus to look at the "swsystem" node in MFS will tell you.
Thanks Stevel. I checked that, it's been 6.3a and 6.3b since I originally zippered it back in January. That's what was on the Instant Cake disk I downloaded...

Code:
Directory listing of /SwSystem
Name	Type	Id	Date Time	Size
6.3a-01-2-357	tyDb	53870	09/25/06 00:41	 772
6.3b-01-2-357	tyDb	104607	01/16/07 12:13	 796
ACTIVE	tyDb	104607	01/16/07 12:13	 796
I answered yes to "caller ID" when I originally ran the Enhancement Script back then but I never plugged in a phone line. I recently reran the Enhancement Script to get the new TWP v2.0.0 :D and answered no to "caller ID".

My (limited) understanding of the Enhancement Script from reading the readme is that if I answer no to "caller ID" and plug in a phone line, I could lose all my hacks. Can anybody confirm that by answering yes to "caller ID" and plugging in a phone line I will get me the latest slices but prevent their installation?

Thereafter, I should be able to use the Slicer to install the upgrade without losing my hacks. This would make me happy. But, I don't want to risk losing my hacks and having to go through the hassle of re-hacking the box just for an upgrade. Frankly, I'm OK with 6.3b.

Presumably, the current Instant Cake has the latest slices but then I would probably lose me recordings, etc.

Maybe I can use a different approach: Can the Slicer install slices from a remote source? Or, can I FTP slices into the HR10?

·
Registered
234 Posts
stevel said:
I don't use scripts and have never heard of "Enhancement Script".
You can find the "Enhancement Script", also called "tweak.sh", here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=250680

It is installed by The Zipper, here:

http://www.mastersav.com/tivo_zipper.html

When the "Enhancement Script" installs NCID, it changes the router settings and "upgradesoftware=false" flag.

DonDon said:
I think DonDon is on the right track (for answering my question at least).

In answer to Don's original question, I found the Instant Cake image well worth the $20 when I Zippered my new disk. The peace of mind in having a clean backup is worth it. And, I was much happier with my HR10 when I put in a bigger hard drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.