TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
FUBAR
4,974 Posts
The writing has been on the wall for years, the only surprise would be if they ever released a new product.
After the last buyout they gutted the development teams, there's no one left to build anything new, and since they don't want to be in the retail market they wouldn't waste their time.
And Cablecard is a dead man walking now that the FCC doesn't care, and Tivo never got access to IPTV, and the OTA market is too small.

Lots of reasons why Tivo DVRs are toast, they have no incentive to develop new ones now that streaming does (almost) everything a Tivo can do. They're just going to keep milking their IP and hope that enough clueless TV makers buy their OS (one already has, supposedly).

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a huge transformation occuring in the TV media delivery market. This is true for both cable, and OTA. Content creators are delivering their media directly to consumers via streaming technology. Our family sticks with OTA programming when possible, but some shows have transitioned to outlets like Paramount+. Personally, I don't like this transition because I have an issue with the subscription model.

It is my opinion that if TiVO were to come out with a new product, the ability to record streaming media would be a key feature. I am not sure how the digital rights would work, but to me, it should be fair to record a steam much like you record a show on cable or OTA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The writing has been on the wall for years, the only surprise would be if they ever released a new product.
After the last buyout they gutted the development teams, there's no one left to build anything new, and since they don't want to be in the retail market they wouldn't waste their time.
Agreed. The best choice for OTA DVR now is now modular. It is Silicon Dust's latest HDhomerun, with ATSC 3.0 tuning so it is future proof, combined with Silicon Dust's DVR product. For front-ends, use anything that can run the HDhomerun connect App. Sadly, the user interface on Silicon Dust is dreadful compared to anything that TiVo sold. But without content TiVo is useless. And, as someone else mentioned, CableCard is dead. One glimmer of hope is that the API of the Silicon Dust equipment is 99% open. They do something special to decode video and it's only built in their app and then only on a handful of platforms, none of which will output HDMI to your television. But this doesn't matter in OTA. As a result, you can put together a pretty good DVR using MythTV feed by Silicon Dust tuners. I've had MythTV side by side with TiVo for more than 20 years. Each has their advantages. As TiVo winds down their business, and my needs outgrow what TiVo does I'm liking MythTV more and more.

-- Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a huge transformation occuring in the TV media delivery market. This is true for both cable, and OTA. Content creators are delivering their media directly to consumers via streaming technology. Our family sticks with OTA programming when possible, but some shows have transitioned to outlets like Paramount+. Personally, I don't like this transition because I have an issue with the subscription model.

It is my opinion that if TiVO were to come out with a new product, the ability to record streaming media would be a key feature. I am not sure how the digital rights would work, but to me, it should be fair to record a steam much like you record a show on cable or OTA.
The streaming companies have been allowing downloads for a couple of years. I really only see one use case for it. I'd bet that most of that is because I can buy 1Gbps internet from two companies at both my house and my vacation home. The one use case is downloading content to my tablet before a long airplane flight where I'll essentially be offline. In another thread I mentioned that I use MythTV. My original, primary use case for Myth was capturing content for timeshifted, offline consumption. I'm a NY Jets fan. I've downloaded the most recent Jets game from my MythTV to my tablet while in port on a cruise for example. For those people who cannot buy good internet, I somewhat understand the need for a "DVR" that downloads a streamed program for offline playback. But I think that the better solution to that problem is to improve the internet connectivity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The media streaming providers will never allow that to succeed.

It would be somewhat like commercial broadcasters did when TiVo began completely skipping commercials. So TiVo ended up "playing nice" and appease everyone. I sure missed the true 30 second skip that actually Skipped the commercials and just didn't ffw thru them. Tho I was eventually found a way to able to enable it on my DirecTV TiVo dvr (THR22) using a hack via the remote.

Just don't see TiVo surviving in the new digital landscape so of course the patent's are still extremely valuable to parent company.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The media streaming providers will never allow that to succeed.

It would be somewhat like commercial broadcasters did when TiVo began completely skipping commercials. So TiVo ended up "playing nice" and appease everyone. I sure missed the true 30 second skip that actually Skipped the commercials and just didn't ffw thru them. Tho I was eventually found a way to able to enable it on my DirecTV TiVo dvr (THR22) using a hack via the remote.

Just don't see TiVo surviving in the new digital landscape so of course the patent's are still extremely valuable to parent company.
The option to go back to the original 30 second skip is still an available backdoor. I always set this whenever I set up a TiVo.

1 Start playing any recording.

2 During playback press:

Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select

If you have a TiVo Premiere line, you might need to use an alternative sequence:

Select - Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select

3 You should hear three bongs (if you don't have the TiVo sounds disabled), and you're done.

Your "skip to beginning/end" button (the arrow pointing to a line) is now a 30 second skip button. During fast-forwarding or rewinding, the button will still "skip to tick."

The button looks like this:

To turn the feature off, repeat the three steps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Agreed. The best choice for OTA DVR now is now modular. It is Silicon Dust's latest HDhomerun, with ATSC 3.0 tuning so it is future proof, combined with Silicon Dust's DVR product. For front-ends, use anything that can run the HDhomerun connect App. Sadly, the user interface on Silicon Dust is dreadful compared to anything that TiVo sold. But without content TiVo is useless. And, as someone else mentioned, CableCard is dead. One glimmer of hope is that the API of the Silicon Dust equipment is 99% open. They do something special to decode video and it's only built in their app and then only on a handful of platforms, none of which will output HDMI to your television. But this doesn't matter in OTA. As a result, you can put together a pretty good DVR using MythTV feed by Silicon Dust tuners. I've had MythTV side by side with TiVo for more than 20 years. Each has their advantages. As TiVo winds down their business, and my needs outgrow what TiVo does I'm liking MythTV more and more.

-- Chris
How does the HDhomerun compare to the new Zapperbox model just released?

·
Registered
12 Posts
How does the HDhomerun compare to the new Zapperbox model just released?
I don't know. A perusal of the zapperbox website doesn't give me a clear idea of what it's doing. The HDHomerun boxes are media converters that do one thing very well. They take RF television signals as input and use a CATV or Antenna tuner to convert those signal to into media streams you can consume using an ethernet network. There are three HDHomerun devices that might be of interest to someone replacing a TiVo: HDHomerun Prime, Connect, and Flex 4k. The Prime and Connect can tune either CATV or OTA Antenna. The Flex 4k is Antenna only if i recall correctly. The Prime can be paired with a CableCard, The Connect and Flex 4k cannot. The Flex 4k can decode ATSC 3.0 signals. Other than this they differ in the number of simultaneous signals that they can decode. The point is that all of them can be controlled, made to capture and decode a stream, remotely through a published software API. DVR/PVR products use this ability to record programs for later viewing like TiVo.

I have an HDHomerun Prime connected to my cable feed. Some channels are encrypted but my MythTV can "tape" programs from any of the unencrypted ones. I also have a Connect and an Flex 4k. The Connect is fead by antenna pointing towards the NYC broadcast area and the Flex has an antenna pointing towards Hartford, CT. Hartford has 4 ATSC 3.0 channels. I receive all four of them and the quality is quite nice.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have had 2 Roamios for YEARS with no issues. I never upgrade to a BOLT or Edge cause of the issues I heard about them here. Glad I stayed with Roamio. I used to used them for regular TV viewing, but have since switched over to YoutubeTV instead. I actually still use my Roamios though, but its for a paid side project that requires recording my local cable access channels (& then dumped off to a PC via pyTivo). all works great, but this only happens about 1-2 times per month so I tend to keep them mainly unplugged until about 2-3 days before a recording is needed. This will hopefully keep them lasting for YEARS. I also simply downgraded my Xfinity TV (through cable cards) to their lowest cable TV package and watch everything else through YoutubeTV or apps (Netflix, HBO, Prime, etc) on a Nvidia Shield or Amazon FireTV.

I loved TiVo back in its heyday, but those days have passed & are obviously gone. YoutubeTV has a great interface and unlimited cloud DVR. Not to mention I split the cost 50/50 with a neighbor (since you can have up to 6 profiles) so its only about $35/month. I plan to ride my Roamios until they either die or Xfinity totally pulls the plug on cable cards (which I hear could be a while anyway)

LONG LIVE TIVO & you had a great run!!!! 😄

21 - 32 of 32 Posts