TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if a new Tivo model with ATSC 3.0 tuners may be just around the corner. I have noticed Tivo having sales over the past few months with various models on sale. Now they have the Edge OTA on sale and offering all in service for $100 with purchase. Still not a super deal in my mind because the Edge OTA model only has two tuners. Maybe they are selling down their stock before introducing a new offering.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I wonder if a new Tivo model with ATSC 3.0 tuners may be just around the corner. I have noticed Tivo having sales over the past few months with various models on sale. Now they have the Edge OTA on sale and offering all in service for $100 with purchase. Still not a super deal in my mind because the Edge OTA model only has two tuners. Maybe they are selling down their stock before introducing a new offering.
They are offering $99 All In for the cable only model as well. The problem is TE4 only. Even on sale, you are better off with a used Roamio.
Font Asphalt Circle Electric blue Signage

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are offering $99 All In for the cable only model as well. The problem is TE4 only. Even on sale, you are better off with a used Roamio.
Yes, that is true, but only the technically savvy know about the Roamio or the difference between TE3 and TE4. The majority of consumers looking to buy a Tivo will only know about the current model that Tivo has for sale.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,096 Posts
Yes, that is true, but only the technically savvy know about the Roamio or the difference between TE3 and TE4. The majority of consumers looking to buy a Tivo will only know about the current model that Tivo has for sale.
I don't believe that market exists anymore, the cablecos have made it so the only product consumers know about are cableco DVRs

Reactions: mschnebly

·
wait.. I did what?
15,096 Posts
Is that conjecture on your part or do you have specific information to verify that?
The writing has been on the wall for years, the only surprise would be if they ever released a new product.
After the last buyout they gutted the development teams, there's no one left to build anything new, and since they don't want to be in the retail market they wouldn't waste their time.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't believe that market exists anymore, the cablecos have made it so the only product consumers know about are cableco DVRs
I know TiVo is not the company it used to be, but I often wonder if they were, ….. with so many people cutting the cord these days I think Tivo may be relevant again if they came out with good DVR hardware such as an updated OTA Premier or Roamio, incorporate Android based app streaming on board so all services are supported (everyone is streaming these days), add very good customer support, and advertise like crazy!! Seems like there could be a market out there …

·
Registered
678 Posts
Edge price now with all-in is about $100 higher than it was in March of this year....

I'm done with used Roamio's... The last 2 I purchased worked perfect... for a few months and both of them the HDMI quit working. One, would not allow me to pair ANY remote.

I'm having issues with my current Roamio (won't see a cable card) and I've loaded YouTube TV and Hulu on my TV to pick one. Probably going to trash my 2 Roamio's and maybe a Bolt collecting dust in my garage. My local GW won't even take them. The work around for my Roamio's is using a mini tuner to control them. But the one that won't see a cable card is probably trash.

Was nice.... Probably time to move on... My last home DVR will be my Recast. Almost 4 years old, and zero issues. No, its not a TiVo, but its still running!

You'all take care...

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If I had known how bad the Bolt would be I would have never bought one. My impression of the Edge is that it's worse.

If TiVo came out with a newer model, you would have to pay me to take one. Even then I wouldn't waste any electricity on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe I'm glad I gave up years ago. I use the 6 tuner that was made by pace I believe, licensed by Tivo to my cable company.

I also use about 5 Amazon fire sticks with OTG cable and thumb drives and get voodoo streams. For 5 I think I pay right at $52 every 3 months, thousands of shows, all network time shows, thousands of network shows, movies and cable is gone in a few months being we have contract price expiring and it'll inevitably go up.

I still have a few dual tuner boxes, not lifetime that I have here at home sitting on a shelf. Worked great before stopped the service just cable company at time handful of years ago came out with 4 then 6 tuner models.

With the 6 tuner I pay like $15 for each one per month as it was same price I paid with the 4 tuner then upgraded before they bumped the prices on the 6 tuners for rental with local cable company. Heck even recently they updated the UI which surprised me but maybe with cable companies and TiVo they have a way they do things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Every time I read these post, everyone wants a OTA 4 tuner & will not buy the 2 tuner. That includes me. You would think someone over at TiVo would have a spare few minutes during there 9-5 hours to read these comments & suggest the change.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,096 Posts
Every time I read these post, everyone wants a OTA 4 tuner & will not buy the 2 tuner. That includes me. You would think someone over at TiVo would have a spare few minutes during there 9-5 hours to read these comments & suggest the change.
Except for the simple fact that they don't care, it's been proven repeatedly, they want out of the consumer business. The 2 tuner Edge is able to be built at a price point they feel is acceptable to the bean counters, I suspect the price difference in 2-4 tuner components was high enough they thought there was a market.

Reactions: mschnebly

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Except for the simple fact that they don't care, it's been proven repeatedly, they want out of the consumer business. The 2 tuner Edge is able to be built at a price point they feel is acceptable to the bean counters, I suspect the price difference in 2-4 tuner components was high enough they thought there was a market.
They did build a 4 tuner Edge OTA only, but they stopped producing it, probably for the reasons you list.
Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I had known how bad the Bolt would be I would have never bought one. My impression of the Edge is that it's worse.

If TiVo came out with a newer model, you would have to pay me to take one. Even then I wouldn't waste any electricity on it.
I've been using a Bolt+ since I bought it new in 2017. It's had its share of software bugs, but has gotten more reliable with each software update. Relative to other Tivos I've had, like the Roamio and DirecTivo, I'd say it's every bit as reliable as they were or better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using a Bolt+ since I bought it new in 2017. It's had its share of software bugs, but has gotten more reliable with each software update. Relative to other Tivos I've had, like the Roamio and DirecTivo, I'd say it's every bit as reliable as they were or better.
These companies keep purchasing others then they gut them or just utterly destroy them. It's actually mind blowing. TiVo was the cats meow once upon a time, but it sounds like the purchaser was more interested in all of TiVo's parents and not sales and such. So it's no surprise for them to phase out the development team and down size. They released the TiVo Stream 4k which is a basic android tv device with a TiVo app and algorithm. It's okay as it has its pros and cons. Now if TiVo release one that had a DVR function or offered cloud DVR that would be a seller to me

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
One swallow does not a summer make.

I've owned a total of five Bolts; two of them were DOA and had to be returned. Not one of the other three is still working.

I own two Roamios; they are both still in active service, recording programs for me every day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts