TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a new thread with the Press Releae in the first post, so that when the masses start coming here complaining, at least they will have the official statement from TiVo right at the top.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050718/sfm008.html?.v=14

TiVo said:
ALVISO, Calif., July 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO - News), the creator and leader in advertising solutions and television services for digital video recorders (DVRs), today launched its next generation interactive advertising technology solution with advertising campaigns from General Motors and The WB Television Network, two of the world's foremost brands.

The new features build on the history of innovative advertising solutions developed by TiVo and integrate client feedback received over the past three years. These features include:

-- Enabling advertisers to insert a customized call to action or branded
"tag" in their commercial, replacing the generic ad tags previously
used by TiVo's advertising clients;
-- Ensuring advertisers' traditional TV spots will be more visible in TiVo
homes, whether viewed in normal play or fast forward mode;
-- Enhance the TiVo customer's experience by allowing them to select the
tag and "telescope" from the traditional 30-second ad while pausing
their program to view long-form content, requests for information, or
recording opportunities which will enhance the viewing experience;
-- Providing advertisers with the ability to receive leads directly from
their TV spots, with the viewer's consent, so advertisers can track
leads to conversion and ensure a qualified return on investment;
-- Additional data for advertisers to gain a better understanding of the
effectiveness of TiVo's proprietary tagging feature, the strength of
their creative executions, and the efficacy of their television media
buying strategy.

TiVo's new advertising technology is designed so that TiVo subscribers retain control over their viewing experience, while giving advertisers new tools to engage interested consumers.

David Courtney, Executive Vice President, CFO, and head of TiVo's media and advertising services business, commented, "TiVo's proprietary advertising technology presents a real opportunity for advertisers to enhance the effectiveness of traditional television advertising. Our platform enables advertisers to reach an attractive demographic. Launching with established advertising partners like GM and The WB Network is a validation of TiVo's success and leadership in the interactive advertising space. We are pleased that these corporations have been working with TiVo for so long and are the first advertisers to capitalize on this new feature set."

As part of this announcement, General Motors, the world's largest automaker and a long-time TiVo advertiser, will extend its partnership with TiVo and will be the first car manufacturer to use TiVo's new customized tags for its OnStar, GMC, Chevrolet, and Saturn brands. Using TiVo's new tagging technology, viewers will be able to instantly access additional promotional footage and request information directly from GM.

GM's General Director, Advertising and Media Operations, Betsy Lazar said, "Having worked on various interactive advertising campaigns with TiVo over a number of years, we have had great success. We look forward to our potential customers having the ability to learn about our product in more detail than ever before. This is a step forward in allowing consumers to shop and discover the GM portfolio of products in a revolutionary new way."

In addition, The WB Television Network will be TiVo's first television network partner to utilize the new TiVo custom record tags. The network will use the new technology in conjunction with promotional spots for upcoming WB shows. By pressing the green thumbs-up button on their TiVo remote, viewers will be able to record a single episode or the show's full season on their TiVo.

The WB Television Network's Co-President of Marketing, Lew Goldstein, said, "Our viewers are younger and eagerly adapt themselves to new technologies. TiVo's advertising technology gives them added convenience and greater flexibility when deciding what content they would like to record. It also gives us the opportunity to remind our audience when to tune in to catch their favorite WB shows."

"With our partners' feedback, we have worked continuously to develop a leading ad platform that is relevant and exciting for TiVo subscribers and at the same time makes it valuable for advertisers," said Courtney. "The advertising industry is ever-changing, and TiVo is uniquely positioned to lead the industry by continuing our history of innovation."

According to Mr. Courtney, "Companies today are spending an estimated $60 billion a year on broadcast advertising. Ours is the only DVR to effectively enhance traditional TV advertising via a branding and direct response platform. Existing TiVo advertisers are already well ahead of the competition, learning about what type of content consumers will voluntarily view, how their traditional television media is consumed in a DVR home and what types of interactive advertising features can enhance their advertising messages as the technology develops."

TiVo's partnerships with service providers such as Comcast and DIRECTV, along with its loyal customers, provide a solid platform for advertisers to reach television viewers.

Comcast, the nation's largest cable television provider, announced earlier in the quarter that it would deploy TiVo's innovative advertising platform on Comcast's existing DVRs beginning next year. In addition, TiVo announced the signing of a new services agreement with DIRECTV, extending the companies' prior services agreement.

·
Custom User Title:
1,334 Posts
I will be the first of what I believe will be more than one post that I would consider cancelling my TiVo service if they start pushing ads, no matter how subtle, during recorded content. Is there any likely way to forcibly opt-out of such advertisements, whether it be complaining to a CSR or other official means?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
These enhanced advertising features were added back in January 2005. The press release and related stories today are about the first large users of that technology. We have an article on our support site that answers some questions that customers might have.

·
Cat God
16,665 Posts
Point number 2 sounds basically like the "pop up" ads that TiVo was testing (hopefully they got the kinks worked out). Everything else sounds like exactly what we have today (showcase) except that it gives more control (to an extent) and more feedback to advertisers.

The only thing as far as the users are concerned is the billboard ads. So if you hate the billboards ads you'll hate this. If you don't care or like the billboard ads then you won't care about this.

·
Sr Legacy Member
866 Posts
General Motors and The WB Television Network, two of the world's foremost brands
Calling the WB Television Network a leading world brand is a bit of a stretch. But, giving that it's a news release and it's a customer of Tivo's, it's understandable posturing...

I have no problem with this type of advertising. If I like something, a tv show, or a given product, I like the idea of "opting" with my "thumbs up" so that I get more information or wish to schedule a corresponding recording. Otherwise, I'll just ignore what doesn't have relevance for me, just as I do today...

If the process turns out to be detrimental to the TiVo/DVR experience, then I'll certainly make my voice heard.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
morac said:
Point number 2 sounds basically like the "pop up" ads that TiVo was testing (hopefully they got the kinks worked out). Everything else sounds like exactly what we have today (showcase) except that it gives more control (to an extent) and more feedback to advertisers.

The only thing as far as the users are concerned is the billboard ads. So if you hate the billboards ads you'll hate this. If you don't care or like the billboard ads then you won't care about this.
Exactly, I am pretty sure this is just the widespread rollout of the ads that they tested a couple of months back for The Negotiator. I too hope that the bugs are worked out, and I hope they took notice of some of the customer feedback and have made it so the ad does not appear smack dab in the middle of the screen. Other than those two things, I have no problem at all with these type of ads, and in fact I think they might be pretty cool. OMMV.

I am without TV for a couple of more months so I will not be able to see these first hand for awhile, but I would like to hear from people who do see them.

Dylan

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I would copy and paste the text of the FAQ from The TiVo website here for people who do not follow the link. Hope that is OK.

tivo support said:
TiVo recently announced some new interactive features. These features will allow customers to access video and Showcase content by pressing the THUMBS UP or SELECT button on their remote when a customized icon (ad) is displayed during a commercial. Clicking the button on the remote will take the customer to a Showcase, a scheduling screen, or a short video. There are some important things to keep in mind:

* You are always in charge. You can decide which ads interest you and respond by pressing the THUMBS UP or SELECT button on your remote.

* Some of these icons may allow you to request more information about a product or company. You will always be asked to confirm any such request, and will be asked to agree to share contact information with that company. TiVo never shares your information with other companies unless you specifically request it. More information about our privacy policy can be found at www.tivo.com/privacy.

* You can still skip the commercials in the same way that TiVo allows you to do now. There is no additional delay and you are not forced to watch ads.

* You can still see the video in the background when fast-forwarding or rewinding. The new icons only cover a small portion of the screen and are only visible for a commercial that is branded to display one. Pressing CLEAR on your remote will make the icon disappear.

Note: These customized icons that appear when you use Fast Forward or Rewind are part of the TiVo service and cannot be removed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Tivo is so lost.

Customers are wondering if Tivo is ever going to fix the broken software update (Pixellation) and this is the junk we get.

Tivo is now the new "Real Audio".

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Here we go again.

There goes Coffe House for the next month. :rolleyes:

This is not new. We've been there, done that.

I think this bears repeating: If you like your TiVo, then things that are good for TiVo, Inc. are good for you.

·
*Clever title here*
136 Posts
I don't think this is that big a deal. We still maintain control and can FF through commercials just like we do now. But if something catches your eye, it makes it even easier to get more info.

I did a survey on this site not long ago, and a LOT of people still at least scan the commercials and stop if something interests them.

We're GAINING functionality, not losing it. It's not like we'er being tied to the couch and forced to watch commercials. (Although if you're tied to your couch, commercials are probably not foremost in your mind).

·
Registered
132 Posts
GAINING functionality would be to fully distibute HME on all Series 2 boxes.

I really don't care about the advertising, I'll ignore it like I ignore ads on webpages...

·
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.
1,352 Posts
Will this apply to the series 1 Directv TiVo and the HD Directv TiVo or just stand-alone TiVo?
I read the support page and it does not mention.

·
Go Big Blue!!
7,139 Posts
MattDing said:
If you like your TiVo, then things that are good for TiVo, Inc. are good for you.
Well said Matt.

From my reading, today and in the past, TiVo has made several decisions in an effort to make it beneficial to the customer (us) and the bottom line (TiVo & advertisers). So while it's not going to make everyone happy - what would? - I think the majority of people will surely be able to figure out how to make it work for them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I really don't care much about the ads, and I think I understand why TiVo has implemented them. But TiVo and I definitely have different goals, and they are in conflict as least as much as they are in harmony. If TiVo could make larger profits by doubling their fees, they would (if, for example, the competitive environment they faced shifted or they had patents on DVR technology that locked out all competition)

This would not be good for us. It would be very good for their shareholders.

MattDing said:
Here we go again.

There goes Coffe House for the next month. :rolleyes:

This is not new. We've been there, done that.

I think this bears repeating: If you like your TiVo, then things that are good for TiVo, Inc. are good for you.

·
Banned
5,556 Posts
TiVoBill:

Is there any reason a programmer could not use this technology to implement some interactivity into its actual content? For a examples: a news program with a link to more detail on a story; a TV show with an alternate ending.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new here, and fairly new to TiVo. But here's what I see, and what I fear:

TiVo's leaning towards advertisers $'s, which symmetrically leans away from what I like most about TiVo. (I'm not forced to watch commercials yet, but it's continually getting closer) When I initially found out that owning a TiVo allowed me to watch what I wanted, when I wanted, and nothing else, I tried it (and when I found out just how good it was, I bought a 2nd unit for my office).

But I fear the campaigns and statements a few are already making, that we should feel the 'emperor is or will be wearing better, grander clothes!' when he isn't: So many are already saying "If it's good for TiVo, it's good for us!" (that's simply not true, as someone else pointed out). [personally I don't see this as good for TiVo either, but I won't claim to know that's a fact]

I saw this in a press release:

"Advertising is a substantial growth area," Sterling said. "It is not a material revenue for us yet relative to our overall revenue picture."

TiVo says TV advertisers, facing dwindling TV audiences, are anxious for new ways to reach TV watchers and insists that viewers like to watch its special ads -- despite the fact that the ability to skip commercials is one of the chief reasons that consumers buy DVRs.​

Viewers do NOT like to watch ads in general -- someone can start a poll if they like, but all the people I'm talking to are really frustrated, and fearful that the device they 'all know and luv' is about to morph into something noticably different. [we're the ones totally devoted and convincing everyone we can to get one] I'm not sure what's going on financially for the company, but if TiVo ends up with a competitor that leans more towards me than advertisers money; I'll have to watch.

Anyone else hating commercials seen in theaters now, only because they HAVE to watch them to see the movie? We don't go to movies to see commercials, and we don't buy TiVo's to see commercials -- maybe I'm just fanatical about this, but if there was a machine that automatically forwarded past commercials, I'd be interested. I'd just rather stay with TiVo who leapt out to do things right and succeeded... than leap with someone else who might be headed off a cliff.

There is that tired old cliche' "If the horse aint broke, don't fix it". I want the old horse, and I don't want to change it: Watch what I want, when I want. Please; don't head down the path that ties me back into the chair to watch what advertisers $ decree. TiVo gave us freedom, let us keep it as well.

If you're wondering what I see for TiVo as a company, I see them taking more money for advertising, and catering to it, which loses them customers, and if taken too far, will lose so many customers that advertisers won't be that interested. So then, they'll have nothing. At that point they might blame wishy-washy, unloyal customers -- I imagine both customers and the company will feel 'let down'.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts