TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced an older Bolt with a service replacement (new unit directly from TiVo). I'm "burning it in" using the OEM 500GB drive and will probably increase drive size in future.
I rolled back from Hydra (TE4) to Classic (TE3) for a myriad of reasons.
I am not able to get the remote control to work in RF mode. I've read every posting I could find and followed many different directions (global reset, clear 221, various simultaneous button pushes, etc.).
Can anyone confirm if Remote RF should work in TE3 (or I'm spinning my wheels)? If so, any suggestions on how to get it to work before I start banging my head on the Philippines support wall?

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,222 Posts
Hold Tivo + D to switch to RF mode.
Hold Tivo + C to switch to IR Mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ThAbtO, that's one of the first things I tried. Doesn't work. I also tried that after all the other steps I followed.
(ie, after each global reset, clear 221, etc, I would try switching modes using the TiVo + D)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Reboot TiVo ( to this day TE3 "remote finder" feature built into Roamio Pro sometimes works/doesnt even tho my remote is always in RF mode )

Make sure all other TiVos & minis are unplugged from power just in case there's a backend service for pairing still running on such other TiVo and it fights to steal your RF pairing invites from the remote control you're trying to pair.

If you do not have a battery tester, make sure there are brand new AA batteries before pairing new RF remote just in case there's a weak signal.

Reset remote first (while Tivo is rebooting) - (I know you tried this but lets try again):
1. Hold down the TiVo + TV Power buttons until the activity indicator flashes red.
2. Press Thumbs Down three times, then press Enter.
3. The activity indicator will flash red three times if the global reset is successful.

Once the TiVo Is rebooted on the Home Screen, with your remote (while it's in IR mode)
Goto: Settings & Messages > Remote, CableCARD & Devices > Remote Control Setup > Remote Control Pairing

Now while on this screen,

1. Hold down the TiVo + Back buttons until the activity indicator LED light turns red.
2. The remote control will then send pairing requests for 30 seconds (as indicated by the flashing amber activity indicator).

3. The remote will pair with any TiVo DVR that is accepting pairing requests. (Note: You must be on the Remote Pairing Screen to do this per TiVo's official instructions)

Make sure the remote is super close to the TiVo DVR while its flashing its amber light.

Didn't work? Repeat again, don't need to reboot tivo again, but do another reset on the remote, return to the pairing screen, and TiVo + Back again. I've had to do this 3-4+ times on a Roamio Pro.

I know some/all of these steps are redundant, but this exact order is what has gotten me through stubborn RF pairing situations on TE3 Roamios and Minis.

For others reading this thread in the future: All TiVo EDGE/Bolt/Roamio DVRs support RF pairing. All TiVo Minis support RF too, with the exception of A92* models which do require a USB dongle to use RF. Models A93 and above do not require a dongle.

RF pairing can be very stubborn. But don't give up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reboot TiVo ( to this day TE3 "remote finder" feature built into Roamio Pro sometimes works/doesnt even tho my remote is always in RF mode )

Make sure all other TiVos & minis are unplugged from power just in case there's a backend service for pairing still running on such other TiVo and it fights to steal your RF pairing invites from the remote control you're trying to pair.

If you do not have a battery tester, make sure there are brand new AA batteries before pairing new RF remote just in case there's a weak signal.

Reset remote first (while Tivo is rebooting) - (I know you tried this but lets try again):
1. Hold down the TiVo + TV Power buttons until the activity indicator flashes red.
3. The activity indicator will flash red three times if the global reset is successful.

Once the TiVo Is rebooted on the Home Screen, with your remote (while it's in IR mode)
Goto: Settings & Messages > Remote, CableCARD & Devices > Remote Control Setup > Remote Control Pairing

1. Hold down the TiVo + Back buttons until the activity indicator LED light turns red.
2. The remote control will then send pairing requests for 30 seconds (as indicated by the flashing amber activity indicator).

3. The remote will pair with any TiVo DVR that is accepting pairing requests. (Note: You must be on the Remote Pairing Screen to do this per TiVo's official instructions)

Make sure the remote is super close to the TiVo DVR while its flashing its amber light.

Didn't work? Repeat again, don't need to reboot tivo again, but do another reset on the remote, return to the pairing screen, and TiVo + Back again. I've had to do this 3-4+ times on a Roamio Pro.

I know some/all of these steps are redundant, but this exact order is what has gotten me through stubborn RF pairing situations on TE3 Roamios and Minis.

For others reading this thread in the future: All TiVo EDGE/Bolt/Roamio DVRs support RF pairing. All TiVo Minis support RF too, with the exception of A92* models which do require a USB dongle to use RF. Models A93 and above do not require a dongle.

Thanks so much Dougtv. I’ll follow your suggestions tomorrow. I’ll report back on results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SNJpage1: Yes, that’s the remote that came with the Bolt. I’m curious, where did you find that info?
In any case, thanks for the response. Not what I wanted to hear, but at least it saves me continuing to spend time on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Dougtv: Your procedure worked for me. From what I can tell, what made the difference was going through the Bolt reboot. I'd tried the other things but never in the order as you listed including the device reboot.
So, for anyone checking this thread in the future, it appears that the Lux remote control does indeed work in RF mode with a Bolt (downgraded to) running TE3. Note: I've no interest in voice commands, so I've not tried that.
This TiVo community rocks!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Are you sure it is in RF mode?

If it is in RF mode you can turn the remote so it is not even pointed at the Tivo (enter and clear buttons are facing Tivo) and the Tivo will still respond.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Are you sure it is in RF mode?

If it is in RF mode you can turn the remote so it is not even pointed at the Tivo (enter and clear buttons are facing Tivo) and the Tivo will still respond.
My Bolt Vox does RF with TE3. It flashes amber and works behind walls. It does NOT do voice with TE3. I think that is the confusion that even TiVo is causing. RF works with TE3. Voice does NOT work with TE3.

The following devices are compatible with RF:

• TiVo EDGE Series
  • TiVo BOLT Series
  • TiVo Roamio Series
  • TiVo Mini Series with TiVo Service Numbers beginning with A92 (with the USB dongle), A93, and higher
I also have a Roamio Basic OTA/cable with TE3 that uses an RF remote. Same deal with my two A93 Mini's, all RF, no voice. The Bolt VOX is the only remote I have that is even Voice capable (it has the blue microphone button) with TE4.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KevTech: Yes, absolutely sure. Now that it's set up properly, when I use the remote to control the TiVo, the light flashes yellow (amber?). When I use it to adjust volume or mute my Denon AV Receiver, the light flashes red. I can completely cover the remote (with a heavy dark cloth) and the TiVo continues responding.
So, for anyone that is having the same problem I was having, I strongly urge that you go to dougtv's posting on the 15-Jan and follow his directions to the letter. I definitely worked for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And, to reiterate pl1's post, as I said in my response to dougtv, I cannot speak to voice commands as I have no interest in those, so I didn't try that. There appears to be agreement that voice command does not work with TE3.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
And, to reiterate pl1's post, as I said in my response to dougtv, I cannot speak to voice commands as I have no interest in those, so I didn't try that. There appears to be agreement that voice command does not work with TE3.
If you ever happen to press the blue microphone button on your remote (like I do all the time by mistake), it launches the upgrade to TE4 with voice. :mad:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Seems Tivo is wrong then as they say RF is not supported with lux and TE3.
Notice that they are referring specifically to: "The TiVo LUX Remote™ supports IR and RF mode on devices running TiVo Experience 4 but RF mode is not supported on devices running TiVo Experience 3 user interface. You can still use the TiVo LUX remote on devices with TiVo Experience 3 in IR mode."

The TiVo Bolt Vox appears to include a TiVo Lux Remote (it does look identical). If it does include a "TiVo Lux Remote", then yes, this is incorrect. If the "TiVo LUX Remote" is something different from what was included with the TiVo Bolt Vox, then maybe it is all new TiVo Lux Remotes being sold that will not work with TE3 in RF mode.

·
Registered
565 Posts
When I bought Bolt Vox it did not come with the Lux remote so I bought one on Amazon.
Main difference between the remote that comes with the Vox and the Lux is the Lux has fully backlit buttons.
Naftaturbo, do your remote buttons light up?
If so it is a Lux if not it is just the regular Vox remote.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KevTech:
I said I had a Lux because the remote that came with my Bolt looked like an earlier posted photo which was labeled as Lux.
Now that you’ve explained the Lux has backlighting I can categorically state I do not have a Lux (mine has no backlight). They sure look identical though…

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
KevTech:
I said I had a Lux because the remote that came with my Bolt looked like an earlier posted photo which was labeled as Lux.
Now that you’ve explained the Lux has backlighting I can categorically state I do not have a Lux (mine has no backlight). They sure look identical though…
Sounds like you have a “BOLT VOX” … exact same BOLT as previously, but with a different remote that uses BLE for RF communication and equipped w a voice/mic button for the TE4 voice control functionality. (The BOLT line has had BLE built-in from its beginning, so no need for a dongle.)

——-
Seems worth mentioning that the listed remotes use two distinct RF technologies, affecting which devices they’ll work with natively…

BLE:
  • TiVo LUX Remote Control
  • TiVo EDGE Remote Control
  • TiVo BOLT VOX Remote Control
RF4CE:
  • TiVo BOLT Remote Control
  • TiVo Roamio Remote Control (same remote included with A93/v2 Mini; Slide Pro also uses RF4CE)
As for what is natively supported by the boxes…
  • Roamio and BOLT DVRs, and v2/A93 Mini support RF4CE; Premieres and A92 Minis require a USB dongle for RF4CE support
  • BOLT and EDGE boxes support BLE; Roamios and Minis require a USB dongle for BLE support
  • not sure if EDGE boxes or Mini VOX/LUX support RF4CE

So it seems the VOX/LUX remote can work in RF mode with a BOLT running TE3. What about Mini VOX/LUX? And is the same true for a BLE dongle-ized Roamio or Mini? (Less pressing IRT Roamio and A93 Mini, I’d think, since the older RF remote included with the boxes would be preferable for TE3 operation. Personally, I’d probably seek out a RF4CE remote were I to run TE3 on a BOLT, if only to avoid the accidental upgrade dialogs.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
krkaufman: I do have a Bolt Vox. I stated that earlier in this string, but then I got lazy and started referring to it as just Bolt.
Pl1 is also correct that the blue "voice" button is a PITA as if you inadvertently touch it, the Bolt Vox goes into 'update to TE4' mode. Fortunately you can cancel in the first screen that comes up. I just have to make sure that my wife or any guests that are using it know to cancel immediately..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts