TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Tivo User
2,462 Posts
That's exactly my point... if I were even remotely interested in getting a Directv Tivo... I would not pay $79 or any other amount.... if it's not going to be owned by me.

Billy Bob Boy said:
Let me know when its down to $0 including shipping. Since I don't own it that is how much i am willing to pay :D :D

Considering the fact that 1. It is only a 40 hour and 2. If i modify it to have more capacity and have to someday give it back and they can charge some outrageous fee for voiding the warranty it is not worth even 79 bucks.

· Registered
92 Posts
Billy Bob Boy said:
Whew Almost made a boo boo! I assumed because i went through the purchase without a D* Account # I could activate whenever i wanted. But in the lease agreement it states must activate in 30 days or get hit with a 150 dollar charge.
The "activation within 30 days" was standard even before the lease/own debacle.

· Lord of Darkness
1,557 Posts
What a Total Rip Off!

You pay $79.00 for a Leased unit, and a 2 Year Commitment.

You cannot modify it in any way, as you have to give it back, or pay a large amount for keeping it when you fail to return it.

Why not just go on EBay and look around. You can find these units on there Brand New for alot less. And can do whatever you want with it since you own it, and no long term commitment.

· Reformed Druid
478 Posts
Well I bought one to replace my ailing series 1 DTiVo. When the rep activated it (the ext 721 trick did not work this time) it showed as leased but I mentioned that all my units were owned he said, "That is an older unit so it should be owned." Then he switched me to another dept. and they changed it back to owned with no problem.

The whole process took about 12 minutes.

I do not know if the process would work the same for adding a receiver but replacing seems no problem.

For me eBay is a very last resort as there are too many chances for problems there. I am willing to pay a bit more for reliability and safety.

· Reformed Druid
478 Posts
Brand new. The one I received had a intermittent defective card reader and they are shipping another that should arrive today.

As near as I can tell the first one had not been repackaged or ever opened.

I thought these might have been returned units but for all appearances they are brand spanking new including the manuals and battery in the original shrink wrap.

As far as the problem it is not unusual for a card reader to be bad out of the box. The second DTV receiver I ever owned had the same problem.

One more thing. Be sure, if you order one, to create a CC account and log in to make your order. If there is a problem with a device ordered online it MUST be returned to a store unless it was ordered while logged in.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
wolflord11 said:
What a Total Rip Off!

You pay $79.00 for a Leased unit, and a 2 Year Commitment.

You cannot modify it in any way, as you have to give it back, or pay a large amount for keeping it when you fail to return it.
I suspect you could modify it as much as want. Just put the original drive back in before returning it. Just because it's leased doesn't mean they screwed the top down on it.

· Registered
16 Posts
I ordered mine last Friday got it yesterday. Everything looks new to me.
The link shows nothing now so I guess they found some and decided to sell them.
My first dvr was the HR20-700 in 8/06 and I must say since 12/06 it has worked as advertised. I figure I would get the tivo to see how I like it also. Most folks I know have gone from the tivo to this I am going backwards but it was cheaper than a r15 that seems to have more bugs in it that either the hr20 or the tivo.

· Heavy User (of TiVo)
568 Posts
jdmac29 said:
I don't know I got a good deal on the hr20-700 for $75.00 installed with new dish. My hr20 is great I have read the r15 has had problems and still does.
Heck it is a tivo and everyone says they are the best.
What is a TiVo?

I am confused by your statement.

HR20 is NOT a TiVo, nor is an R15.

· Reformed Druid
478 Posts
ForrestB said:
...all Tivo remotes have a Tivo button and the Tivo logo on the front of the box.
Be VERY careful with absolutes. I have two Samsung DTiVos and neither original remote has a TiVo button and "TiVo" appears nowhere on the remote.

The only visual indication that the DTiVo is TiVo is a quite small TiVo guy on the top of the box.

Also the TiVo guy only appears in a few of the menus and not even in what used to be called TiVo central. (now DTV central)

· Registered
16 Posts
What I was being asked from the beginning was why did I not use some code to get a r15, well I did not know about the code but when I was on circuity city's website the samsung tivo dvr was $77 compared to the directv r15 dvr for $99.
I negotiated last year with directv on getting a hr20-700 for $75..
I figured they gave me a good price on that so I could not get a r15 cheaper than what I was seeing online. My neighbor got a free h20 but had to pay $99 for the r15. I got the hr20-700 at a good price when I said dish network would beat their offer and I no longer had a contract with directv.
I really did not want a r15, I like my hr20-700 but I needed a 2nd dvr so I can hopefully watch college football in hd without my little boy wanting to watch episodes of cartoons.
So far I like the TIVO as much as I do my hr20-700 but I must say the 30 second skip on the TIVO is alot faster than the hr20-700 30 second skip advance.

· Heavy User (of TiVo)
568 Posts
jdmac29 said:
What I was being asked from the beginning was why did I not use some code to get a r15, well I did not know about the code but when I was on circuity city's website the samsung tivo dvr was $77 compared to the directv r15 dvr for $99.
I negotiated last year with directv on getting a hr20-700 for $75..
I figured they gave me a good price on that so I could not get a r15 cheaper than what I was seeing online. My neighbor got a free h20 but had to pay $99 for the r15. I got the hr20-700 at a good price when I said dish network would beat their offer and I no longer had a contract with directv.
I really did not want a r15, I like my hr20-700 but I needed a 2nd dvr so I can hopefully watch college football in hd without my little boy wanting to watch episodes of cartoons.
So far I like the TIVO as much as I do my hr20-700 but I must say the 30 second skip on the TIVO is alot faster than the hr20-700 30 second skip advance.
So, are you saying that you have an HR20 (non-TiVo) HD DVR and a DirecTiVo SD DVR?

I guess I misunderstood your earlier post.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.