TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a brand new S2 and S2-DT (I was a previous S1 user) and was pumped about the MRV. I am using a Cat-5 cable hardwiring through a 10/100 router.

My transfers are less than real time using MRV.

This just sounds wrong!!!

People jumped all over the CNET review that said transfers were glacial, but I am seeing the same thing.

EDIT - I changed the title since I have learned more. See posts below...

· Go Pats
44,199 Posts
ah30k said:
I just set up a brand new S2 and S2-DT (I was a previous S1 user) and was pumped about the MRV. I am using a Cat-5 cable hardwiring through a 10/100 router.

People jumped all over the CNET review that said transfers were glacial, but I am seeing the same thing.
What quality recordings are you transfering?

· Coming and going
2,824 Posts
Some suggestions that I have heard speed up transfers...

1) Make sure you have no security software interference
2) When one or both of the Tivos are being used it slows down the transfer rate- start them overnight or if possible when tivo is not in use
3) put unit in standby during transfers if its convenient at the time to do so

I have MRV on 4 various units and the longest it takes is Real time for Extreme or Best quality. If using a lower quality its faster- example basic 1 hour show would take about 20 minutes.

· I can't explain
19,455 Posts
ah30k said:

that is because the 540 box (new series 2) is sloooww, and that will be the weak link in this chain. Also how is the network hooked up ? straigh wired into DT I assume but what USB adapter on the 540 ?

Can I ask why you got one 540 adn one sereis 2 DT ?

· Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZeoTiVo said:
that is because the 540 box (new series 2) is sloooww, and that will be the weak link in this chain. Also how is the network hooked up ? straigh wired into DT I assume but what USB adapter on the 540 ?

Can I ask why you got one 540 adn one sereis 2 DT ?
I got the S2 during the last gasp of lifetime and then a S2-DT just yesterday. I really thought the S2-DT would be more expensive than the S2 and didn't need the dual tuners for the secondary TV.

I am using a SpeedStream SS1001 adapter on the S2 with the recordings at 'Best' quality.

It was pretty frustrated at the transfer rates. Having to go put the remote Tivo into standby mode is ridiculous! Someone suggested transferring when the remote Tivo is not 'in-use'. What does 'in-use' mean with a Tivo since it is always recording?

· Coming and going
2,824 Posts
Maybe try getting some approved adapters:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2184.htm?

BTW- "in use" meaning your watching something from your Now Playing List, your Recording something from your SP or Wishlist.. Though the buffer is on all the time it does not take as much memory resource to function as using the unit does.

· Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dirtypacman said:
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt. I did choose an adapter that was listed as 'not tested but reported to work'. The main reasons are 1) the only certified adapters have all kinds of caveats about which software versions are compatable and 2) I got my current one on e-bay for 1/4 the price of a new retail one.

· Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
terryfoster said:
Here's a stupid question.... Are you sure the SpeedStream is running in 100baseT mode?
Very good question, I will need to investigate how to even figure this out. Maybe my router will have some indicator as to which mode the port is running in.

· Super Moderator
55,368 Posts
I get better then realtime, even at Best quality, when using two S2 units connected to Linksys USB200M adapters. Prior to that I was using 3COM adapters and they took about 25% longer to transfer anything.

You should try either a USB200M or a Netgear FA120. They are the best USB ethernet adapters available for TiVos.

Dan

· Registered
753 Posts
AFAIK, the SpeedStream SS1001 is a usb1.1 device and uses the pegasus driver. With usb1.1 you'll be, in theory, limited to 12mbps, and in practice, more like 6mbps. I believe you'll be much happier with a device that uses the asix ax88x7x chip family and the usbnet driver. These support usb2.0. Here's a list of devices supported by the tivo supplied usbnet driver:
Code:
device usbnet
# AX88172
    product 0411 003d Buffalo LUA-U2-KTX
    product 0557 2009 ATEN UC210T
    product 077b 2226 Linksys USB200M
    product 07aa 0017 Corega FEther USB2-TX
    product 07b8 420a Hawking UF200/TRENDnet TU2-ET100
    product 0846 1040 Netgear FA120
    product 08dd 90ff Billionton Systems USB2AR
    product 0b95 1720 Intellinet/ST Lab USB Ethernet
    product 1189 0893 Surecom EP-1472X-2
    product 1631 6200 Goodway GWUSB2E
    product 2001 1a00 D-Link DUB-E100
    product 6189 182d Sitecom LN-029
# AX88772
    product 0b95 7720 ASIX AX88772 device
    product 13b1 0018 Linksys USB200M V2
Many people like the Netgear FA120. It's rugged (unlike the usb200m) and readily available at a reasonable cost. Check ebay for cheap deals on refurb'd FA120s.

· Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your advice. I really should have known better! I just wanted to get an adapter quickly and cheaply, went to ebay, saw the device was 'not tested but reported to work' and bought it. I was trying to save some money and now have tossed $15 down the crapper. I acutually bought two for a total of $21 because at the time I was planning on two S2s. Had I been in an actual brick and morter store I would have noticed the device was only a USB 1.1 adapter.

· Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way, what the %#[email protected] is the point of advertising a 10/100 network adapter that supports 100 mbps when it is connected to a computer using USB 1.1. I would love to know how in the world this devicec supports 100 mbs transfers like the advertising claims!!!

· Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
terryfoster said:
What they're advertising is that they're compatible with 10baseT and 100baseT networks.
Not the one I bought on e-bay (not that the ebayer didn't embellish...

General Features :
- Ethernet connectivity through USB
- Plug and Play
- 100 Mbps transfer rate
- USB interface
- Bus powered
- Hot-swap capability

I think I have seen similar feature lists elsewhere for this device.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.