TiVo Community Forum banner
13121 - 13134 of 13134 Posts

· Registered
3,990 Posts
I was thinking about making a thread asking "Which TiVos support season/episode info", but I suspect that that info is right here in kmttg. I know Bolt and Edge support s#e# info, but do older models (like Roamio or Premiere) also support it? And with those older models, will the s#e# info show up in the metadata episodeNumber like for the Edge and Bolt (of course, just as an integer). (Never liked the loss of the Episode number info in the new guide data after the Rovi update :( )

And one kmttg-specific question - which of those older models support downloading of the "To Do" info? (The documentation indicates that the 'Remote' tab is available on Series 4 and later models, but do all of those models support the 'To Do' list?)
All TiVos that support V20 and V21 use essentially the same metadata. And that metadata includes the items referenced in this question. Any Premier, Roamio, Bolt or Edge will have season, episode and the To-Do list data available for downloading by kmttg.

If you had a Premier or Roamio you would know this already from kmttg. Are you perhaps thinking of buying an older model because the Roamio is known to be much more reliable than the Bolt or Edge?

· Registered
363 Posts
All TiVos that support V20 and V21 use essentially the same metadata. And that metadata includes the items referenced in this question. Any Premier, Roamio, Bolt or Edge will have season, episode and the To-Do list data available for downloading by kmttg.

If you had a Premier or Roamio you would know this already from kmttg. Are you perhaps thinking of buying an older model because the Roamio is known to be much more reliable than the Bolt or Edge?
I'm looking at what I could do with a Premiere/Roamio without a subscription to a cable company. I passed on the chance to buy a cablecard-only Premiere with Lifetime for $50, and I'm looking at what I could have used it for (like a Season Pass server to allow me to plan shows to record on DTV). The TiVo couldn't actually record any shows, but the guide data would let me identify shows I would want to individually record on DTV (which has a limit of 100 in the Series Manager). (Yea, I'm a tech nerd :) ) (I think I can still schedule recordings without a cablecard/tuning adapter, right?)

· TiVoholic by the bay
14,944 Posts
(I think I can still schedule recordings without a cablecard/tuning adapter, right?)
Not if its a cable only Tivo DVR.
You need a OTA capable Tivo DVR to record Over the air channels and not from cable.

· Cranky old novice
9,541 Posts
I'm looking at what I could do with a Premiere/Roamio without a subscription to a cable company. I passed on the chance to buy a cablecard-only Premiere with Lifetime for $50, and I'm looking at what I could have used it for (like a Season Pass server to allow me to plan shows to record on DTV). The TiVo couldn't actually record any shows, but the guide data would let me identify shows I would want to individually record on DTV (which has a limit of 100 in the Series Manager). (Yea, I'm a tech nerd :) ) (I think I can still schedule recordings without a cablecard/tuning adapter, right?)
You need a OTA capable Tivo DVR to record Over the air channels and not from cable.
IMHO the sweet spot for this is the Roamio Base (4 tuner) model, which can be configured for either OTA or Cable (but not both). The 6-tuner Roamio models cannot do OTA. One possible issue I’m not sure about is I suspect you don’t want to run the most recent “graphical‘ (icons) user interface (TE4) as I think the Roamio horsepower is a little short for that UI. The text oriented TE3 UI will run fine but may not be pleasing to all users. This can be (and has been) debated here.

· Registered
363 Posts
Correct - I can't record shows on that TiVo (as I had already mentioned in the post), but I am expecting that I could get the To Do list without a cablecard/tuning adapter (since the CC/TA are only used to feed the video/audio signal, and are not used as part of handling the guide data). (It is too bad that the comma-delimited data doesn't include the ProgramId, which would make the matchup of the kmttg To Do list much easier to match up with the exact program it corresponds to.

IMHO the sweet spot for this is the Roamio Base (4 tuner) model, which can be configured for either OTA or Cable (but not both). The 6-tuner Roamio models cannot do OTA. One possible issue I’m not sure about is I suspect you don’t want to run the most recent “graphical‘ (icons) user interface (TE4) as I think the Roamio horsepower is a little short for that UI. The text oriented TE3 UI will run fine but may not be pleasing to all users. This can be (and has been) debated here.
Yea, UE3 is fine for me, especially with loss of some functionality that I have heard about that comes with with UE4.

Now I'm really wishing I would have picked up that Premiere - oh well! :)

I do have one (of 3) HD TiVos working, and they could do both antenna and cable at the same time. (Don't know what the issue with the other HDs are - I suspect on elf them has that 'memory solder' issue, and I don't know why the other one is down (not HD, and I don't think it is the power supply).)

· Registered
30 Posts
valley_nomad you might be missing some codecs (likely mpeg2). Can you try using vlc and see if you get video? VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS! - VideoLAN

You can also try Get MPEG-2 Video Extension from the Microsoft Store (I assume when you say pc you mean windows)
The stream file transferred from Tivo HD to PC doesn't include video stream, which seems to be an issue of Tivo HD that always transfers a much smaller audio-only PS stream file regardless of transfer mode setting in KMTTG whenever H.264/MPEG-4 recorded content is involved.

I did enable Tivo HD to transfer the complete raw Tivo stream file for H.264 content by using transfer URL: http://[tivo-ip]:80/download/[show title]&id=[show id]&Format=video/x-tivo-raw-tts. But I haven't been able to find a decryptor to correctly convert .tivo stream file to .ts or .mp4 stream file.

· Premium Member
6,471 Posts
I did enable Tivo HD to transfer the complete raw Tivo stream file for H.264 content by using transfer URL: http://[tivo-ip]:80/download/[show title]&id=[show id]&Format=video/x-tivo-raw-tts. But I haven't been able to find a decryptor to correctly convert .tivo stream file to .ts or .mp4 stream file.
To my knowledge, nobody has ever figured out how to decrypt the raw file format that is used for transfers between TiVos. It's completely different from TiVo to computer transfers that can be decrypted with tivodecode or tivo libre.

The only way to get H.264 files off of a Series 3 is to transfer them to a later model TiVo first.

· Registered
30 Posts
It turned out that the latest VLC can actually somehow play the raw tivo TTS (TiVo Transport Stream) file without decryption. But the playback has a few brief (shorter than 1 seconds) video freezes every minute even thought the audio is perfect. I don't know what is the cause of these freezes. I got multiple transfers of same show. The freezes happened in the same places in the video. It might be an H.264/mpeg-4 codec issue, or a TiVo HD software issue when transferring raw TSS stream file. The stream is basically in MPEG-TS format although it starts with 0x055a followed by some non-ascii bytes before 0x47, the MPEG-TS sync byte...

Can I still transfer recordings from my HD to a later model TiVo when this HD device "is not supported by TiVo Online" as shown on TiVo.com?

· TiVoholic by the bay
14,944 Posts
Can I still transfer recordings from my HD to a later model TiVo when this HD device "is not supported by TiVo Online" as shown on TiVo.com?
You should be able to transfer, but Tivo have to enable the transfer protocols and they may have stopped doing that. A later model will be able to have TS transfers.

· Registered
30 Posts
You should be able to transfer, but Tivo have to enable the transfer protocols and they may have stopped doing that. A later model will be able to have TS transfers.
My TiVo HD doesn't appears in my TiVo Online account. When I login the account the page shows:
!Your TiVo box is not supported by TiVo Online.
TiVo HD/Series 3 users: Find shows, schedule recordings, manage your TiVo box, and more using the free TiVo app.

Is it necessary for TiVo Online to "see" both the later model TiVo and TiVo HD in order to do the transfer between them?

· TiVoholic by the bay
14,944 Posts
Is it necessary for TiVo Online to "see" both the later model TiVo and TiVo HD in order to do the transfer between them?
Yes, both needs to be on your account and enabled to transfer, Also the permissions needed to be able to do that.

Its like saying the 2 computers cannot communicate between them even though they are on the same network.

13121 - 13134 of 13134 Posts