TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
......... there is another user here on the forum who has written an app which uses it to automatically commercial scan and convert all .tivo files to .mpg...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=359550

I don't believe it has the transcoding abilities of your program.........
Actually, for all practical purposes TiVo-VideoReDo-AutoProcessor (TVAP) already "does it all". It will automatically run a user-supplied batch file to perform the mpeg2-to-mpeg4 encoding using any encoding program with a command-line interface. HandBrake seems to work quite well and a sample batch file for XVID/AVI creation may be downloaded ***here***. The TVAP thread and the readme file give more details.

TVAP does not schedule TTG transfers however. You must use TiVo Desktop or another program to perform the transfers. I've toyed with the idea of adding the TTG transfer function to TVAP but operation with Desktop is pretty convenient so I haven't been too motivated.

I applaud your effort!

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
Handbrake can convert Mpeg2 or .Tivo files? I thought it was only for dvds.
It can take mpeg2 files as input but not TiVo files. With TVAP you would be using VideoReDo to convert the TiVo to mpeg2 (while doing Quick Stream Fix and/or Commercial removal in the process.)

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
I'm not against working with dlfl, however currently the emphasis of TVAP is using VRD and also we are using different 3rd party tools and programming languages, so there is not a lot in common as a starting point.
I have to agree. TVAP is written in C#. I am open to a cooperative effort but finding common ground seems pretty unlikely.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
great work moyekj!

Hey, is there an easy to have kmttg do encoding on files in a directory after you manually do the commercial editing? Maybe I am going about this wrong, but it does seem that it's better to do the commercial editing manually with videoredo to get it just right and then do an encode after that. Maybe i just need a tool/batch file to watch a directory and do the ffmpeg encode on any file placed there. Obviously it's dependent on me getting around to do the manual commercial edits.
You might consider the approach given in post #10 of this thread. TVAP will process the files through ad detection then wait for you to manually adjust its edits and save the project file. Then TVAP will automatically apply the cuts to the file and run the postprocess batch file to do the encoding.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
To all:

Now that I have KMTTG working so well, I am looking to find a way to increase the volume on the .mp4 files that it creates. I travel a bit, so I'd like to make the video files louder to make them easier to hear when I have to fly. Is there a way either within KMTTG or with another piece of software to easily do this?

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Rick
VideoReDo can adjust both audio sync and level (volume). This occurs in an mpeg2 file of course but the change would be carried through transcoding to MP4.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
Since I'm converting from .tivo to .mp4 automatically with KMTTG, is there any way to increase the volume on the audio on the .mp4 file? I would prefer not to have to transcode twice if I don't have to ( transcode .tivo to .mp2, increase the volume of .mp2, then transcode .mp2 to .mp4).
Rick
You're never transcoding from .tivo to .mp2 whether you're using kmttg, VideoReDo or TivoDecode. The .tivo files are actually .mp2 files that must be freed from their TiVo wrapper -- much faster than transcoding. This is always part of any process that starts with .TiVo files, whether visible as a separate process step or not.

As the author of TVAP (see signature) I know how easy this would be to do with the semi-automatic mode of TVAP operation in which you manually review/edit the automatic commercial cuts in VRD. You could adjust the audio volume in about one second during the this manual review process. I'm not aware of a completely automatic way of doing this with VRD or kmttg.

Perhaps a kmttg expert (not me) will provide you a solution.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
You can add whatever you want with AtomicParsley. Just run it in a command tool with -help and -longhelp to see the arguments. Play with it, you'll figure it out. You can just copy the .exe to wherever you want to run it. Then, if you can figure it out, you can add whatever fields you want to the text file that kmttg creates and those tags will be added as part of the process.........
Here is a simple two-step process that should work:
1. Use metagenerator to get the metadata into a pyTiVo style metadata (simple text) file.
2. Use pyTiVoParsley to put the metadata in the .mp4 or .m4v file. (It uses AtomicParsley but you don't have to master the details.)

This is a manual process. Not as good as having kmttg add all the desired tags automatically -- if there is a way to do that (?).

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
Yes :) Don't you recall how you created pyTivoParsley.exe?

-David
Probably not ... remember I am the cranky old novice. What I meant was an easy way for users to control tags that are added (without modifying the kmttg code, e.g., via a configuration file).

metaGenerator will give you a full complement of metaData obtained independently via web databases.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
So all I need to do since I have PyTivo installed on my PC is put the video(s) in the folder my TiVo accesses? Sounds pretty easy. Does this process just allow me to watch the videos while they're still stored on my PC, or does it transfer the videos back to my TiVo (similar to a multi-room transfer between TiVos)?

Thanks!

Rick
yes, the videos can be in whatever folder(s) you have specified in your pyTivo.conf file.

It transfers the file back to the TiVo and it will stay there until it is deleted. You can start watching it within a few seconds of starting the transfer, but this only makes sense if your transfer rate is greater than real time, which will depend on the bitrate of the video and your network speed.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
moyekj,

I'm curious how you use ffmpeg to determine the video dimensions for use with the dimension filter feature of VRD QSF. Do you just run ffmpeg -i <videoFilePath> and parse the dimensions out of the resulting text output?
If so, ffmpeg apparently does a good job of determining the dominant dimensions, correct?

Or maybe you're using ffmpeg another way?

My file source is a TiVo HD and all but local broadcasts are blocked from TTG by copy protection (thanks Time Warner). I have yet to see a video that had a dimension change in it, so I have nothing to test with.

Thanks

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
........BTW, do you know if there is a setting that can be used in VRD vbs script to automatically amplify audio? That would be another very useful option to have during QS Fix run.
No, and I don't see such a function in the help for the COM interface. I usually review cuts prior to saving and both the audio sync and volume can be adjusted in the GUI at that time.

It would be nice if the VRD folks could enhance the COM interface but I know they are busy with other things. A function to scan a video and return the dominant dimensions has been on their "might do eventually" list for a long time.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
I know a lot of you guys are using pytivo for goback, but I've just gotten kmttg and galleon going again on a windows box and I'm liking it. I can get basic tagging via file format using kmttg so that Galleon presents the video with Show/Episiode Name correctly. The only thing I'm missing is a process to rename a file with *_cut.mpg" to remove the "_cut" portion. I may have to write a small program to do it if I can't get it done in a batch file.
Someone has already written the program for you: Bulk Rename Command. When you go to the download page scroll down to the bottom -- you want Bulk Rename Command (zip) not Bulk Rename Utility (installer for GUI version, I believe).

And here is the command line that should do what you want:

Code:
BRC32 /PATTERN:"*_cut.mpg" /REMOVELASTN:4 /EXECUTE /QUIET
The batch file or command window it's running in has to be logged to the folder containing the files to be renamed of course. There is good documentation in the download. It claims to do a number of other clever things but this feature is the only one I've used.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
I don't have/use MCE so not familiar with wtv/dvr-ms formats, but are there any public domain command line tools to do those kinds of things? I guess the first question is how are you converting mpeg2 to wtv and/or dvr-ms containers? I would guess you are using VideoRedo TVSuite4? If you start from a .TiVo file with it's own metadata does VideoRedo preserve the metadata in some form in resulting wtv/dvr-ms file? Obviously if VideoRedo can do it then integration is already there with kmttg/VideoRedo, but I'm guessing it does not preserve metadata which is why you posted here.
VRD doesn't pass .TiVo metadata to any other output format. Until build 607 it did preserve metadata for WTV-->WTV, WTV-->DVRMS, DVRMS-->WTV and DVRMS-->DVRMS. However there is a current post on the VRD TVS4 forum complaining that build 607 isn't doing this -- presumably a recent bug that will soon be fixed.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
Is it possible to have kmttg to push metadata into WTV or dvr-ms files? I'm pulling shows off my TiVo and then pushing to a media center. Right now I have to run VAP which has it's own issues and I'd love to have everything done from one app.
Your reference to VAP "issues" is rather mysterious. I assume you mean limitations of the designed VAP functionality relative to your needs, rather than quality issues, correct? If you have quality issues, please post them on the VAP thread, link in signature, before posting them here.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
Issues as in it requires a bunch of extra steps vs just going through kmttg. The tool works for straight conversions.
Sorry, I really don't want to inject a shoot-off comparison of VAP and kmttg onto this kmttg thread, but you make unclear statements about VAP that I feel need to be clarified in the interest of fairness.

What "bunch of extra steps" are you referring to? Of course VAP does not pull videos from TiVo. You need to use TiVoPlaylist or Desktop to do that. But what other steps comprise a "bunch" of steps?

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
Agreed but I am at a loss to explain why that would be the case. I will review the TiVo in question but as far as I know there is no difference in settings and I am not aware of anything in Tivo that specifies this for recording?
I am going to chase with Tivo support to see if they can shed any light on it and I'll report back
Thanks for your help
I had a similar issue with a TiVo file and HB a couple of years ago. The gory details may be found here:

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8540

The signaling of DAR in mpeg2 files is somewhat complicated, as you will see if you can stay awake through that thread.

The bottom line seemed to be:
1. HB was following the MPEG2 spec.
2. The TiVo file was not to spec.
3. But VRD, gspot, mediaInfo and VLC have their own ways of handling DAR so they sometimescan give a desirable result even though they may not be rigorously following the MPEG2 spec.

I think the explanation probably is that the two models of TiVo differ in how they incorporate the aspect ratio signaling into the file.

I ended up slightly modifying and building the Windows version of the HB command line program so it would work the way I wanted. On the PC I had at the time this build took over an hour. HB has gone through 2 new versions since then so all this is obsolete now. Hopefully there will be some command line option combo that will handle the problem for you.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
Don't know anything about metagenerator as I've never used it. Does it run in batch mode and on different OS platforms? Where is web site and what is a sample command if there is batch mode?
Metagenerator 3 uses .NET framework 2 and thus is a Windows-only program. It also does not have a command line interface. It (and VAP) use theTVDB.com searches for TV shows, using their standard API to retrieve XML. I could furnish code snippets but if you're not using C# it's probably easier to start from scratch.

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
Some cable companies are setting the CC1 flag on just about everything. Some aren't. Unless you have actual figures to back it up, the statement that most are is pure speculation.
Just to be a little more specific:
If your cable co is Time Warner, the probability of copy protection on all but local stations is 100% or darn close to it.

There is a thread where user reports of copy protection for various cable cos and regions are tracked:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=451107\

·
Cranky old novice
9,468 Posts
...........I was using VRD with VAP, but 80% of the files ended up "stalled" for some reason and many of the programs I'm recording aren't in TVDB.com, so they weren't getting the meta from there.
Since you're dropping negative comments about VAP in this forum, I need to point out that I have responded to your VAP problems with some troubleshooting suggestions in the VRD forums VAP sub-forum, to which you have not responded. As I pointed out there, VAP reads metadata directly from .tivo input files so getting metadata from theTVDB.com is not necessary. If this isn't working there is something wrong with your setup.

You said (in the VRD forum) that your platform is a "virtual Vista x32 PC (with the tv pack and playready pc ". I confess I don't know what that is, but "virtual" suggests you're running a virtual machine and it is not unusual for VM's to have problems like this.

I don't want to hijack this thread for VAP problems, so let's please continue any discussion regarding VAP issues in the VRD VAP sub-forum.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts