TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kevin,
Looks like fun. I've downloaded most of the files you reference, but I'm going to hold out until you finish the last change you mentioned. Any chance of you including the setup information for the full work flow? I read the installation notes, but I didn't see how comskip figures into it and I don't see a reference to mencoder. This is all a touch over my head - it's been years since I've done anything like this and I'm a bit rusty. Think there's any chance it can run on a Mac?

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Okay, I got everything downloaded and installed. A couple of glitches for me, but I think they were syntax errors. For now I defaulted back to the defaults and it's currently downloading something, so I'll see what happens and report back. Once I have it running on my windows laptop I think I'll see if I can get it going on the Mac Mini which is our server and Tivo backup.

Thanks for sharing your hard work - it's a great project.

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kevin,
Almost worked! Everything up to recoding to the AVI. I got audio but no video. In the perl screen I got the following message:

Name "main::encoder_args" used only once: possible typo at c:\kmttg\kmttg.pl line 1260

Don't know if that's related. The mpg with the commercials cut was just fine, though. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Actually, right clicking on the text area brought up a dialog that let me copy the contents, so here's the relevant part:

>> ENCODING TO FILE c:\kmttg\Scrubs_My_Two_Dads_Thu_3_20.mp4 ...
c:\kmttg\ffmpeg\rev11870\ffmpeg.exe -i c:\kmttg\Scrubs_My_Two_Dads_Thu_3_20_cut.mpg -acodec libfaac -ab 128kb -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1200kb -mbd 2 -flags +4mv+trell -aic 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -s 480x320 -title X c:\kmttg\Scrubs_My_Two_Dads_Thu_3_20.mp4
c:\kmttg\Scrubs_My_Two_Dads_Thu_3_20.mp4 size=205.32 MB elapsed=00:11:48 (2.43 Mbps)

I changed the arguments to what the ffmpeg FAQ suggested for an ipod and modified to the correct resolution for a touch. So now I got an error 2010 - file contains invalid data. I'll have to study the syntax more to understand it. If it makes any sense to you I would appreciate your guidance.

Another question: Is there any way to bypass the download and find the files already on the computer and run everything from there? I've got Galleon auto downloading certain things that I would like to work with. Or better yet, any way to do what Galleon does - establish rules for what to automatically download? Hmmm... I guess the reason Galleon can do that is the server, so that won't work.

Thanks again,

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kevin,
Still not getting the final conversion to work, but everything else went fine. Did you change something in the step saving the mpg from the cut version? The last time (previous version) a 5 gb file trimmed down to around 4 gb. This time a 5 gb file trimmed down to 200+ mb. I have no problem with a smaller file size, I just wonder what happened. That finished format will work well on my wife's laptop, which is one of the things I'm trying to achieve. But I don't know how it will translate going back to the Tivo, which is one of the other things I want - a commercial free backup that I can transfer back to my S3. The ipod format is gravy - I can always make that conversion in Nero as I have been doing.

I'm really liking this program a lot - great work. It's more in line with what I want to do than anything else I've encountered. Couple of questions: Is there any way to get the program to clean up after itself? Delete the working files like the .edl file? Heck, for my purpose I'd like to delete the .edl, the .tivo and the uncut .mpg leaving only the cut .mpg and the converted version.
Second question: where is the naming convention set? As you pointed out in an earlier message, Galleon names things differently. I like Galleon's naming convention. Last question: Which program handles the download? Is there any way to have Galleon do that? Mind, I'm not asking you to do any of these things, unless you're of a mind to. I'm just curious about the possibilities. I did a bit of programming for active server pages in vbasic 10 or 12 years ago. You now have gotten me curious about perl.

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. For precision commercial cutting I too don't rely on comskip or any other tool to do the job and prefer to do it manually (I do have cases when I don't really care about precision cuts when I am generating files for my Portable Video Player from a news recording). It is still useful to run comskip as a starting point and import that into a manual editor from which changes can be made.
I found that ComSkip worked perfectly, assuming that what I actually wanted was information on hair loss. I reviewed the notes for tweaking ComSkip, but concluded that I could edit all the programs manually faster than get it set up to work most of the time. So that raises the question of manual editing: is there a freeware program available for video editing? I downloaded the trials of Womble and VideoRedo but they seem like overkill and a lot more than I want to spend to solve a not very important problem in my life. I looked at Window's movie maker, but... ugh! Nero's program doesn't seem interested in just cutting - it wants to make a whole new video.

So, based on good feedback I am seeing here I think what is needed to make kmttg friendlier to that kind of flow is:
1/ Make the download step optional (as all other steps already are)
2/ Add an option (to File pulldown menu) to start processing from existing files instead of just from a Now Playing List. This way, for example, you can use your own .TiVo file names generated from other programs instead of adhering to kmttg names. Or if you already have have an unencrypted .mpg file with or without commercials, start from there. i.e. Allow the entry point to kmttg to be at any phase you want, which will also allow you to use whatever file names you want as a starting point.
Yes, those options would do it for me. That and the automated downloads. When you get around to that one, if there is a way to select by other than title it would be great. Since Tivo's suggestions will frequently download reruns of shows that I have "first run only" season passes for, when Galleon is working (not much right now) it will download everything where I only want the first runs. Or the ones that aren't from the suggestion list, if there's a way to do that.

Still haven't gotten it into mp4 yet, but your end of the operation is working. I just have to figure out the syntax. And then get it working on the Mac.

Thanks!

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Okay, the anticipation is killing me! While I wait, is there a reference for the naming convention? I found the hard code in kttmg.pl, but I couldn't do much with it. For example, where are the underscores added in place of spaces? Is there a setting for the date format? Can I include the station it was recorded from (as Galleon does, when it dains to record something).

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kevin,
Okay, I'm having fun with the file naming convention. Hopefully I'll figure it all out by the time you release the version making everything I'm doing obsolete! I tested it with spaces and the process worked (I'm just downloading and decrypting) but the decrytped version crashes Nero Showtime and itunes but works in WMP. So that's a problem! Work better pick up for me soon - I have too much time on my hands!

One other thing for you to take a look at - better handling of errors when there are other transfers taking place. A couple of times I've gotten an error that says:

Server Busy

too many transfers in progress
*ERROR* download failed (exit code: 0) - check above c:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe command

Can't figure out what other transfers are in progress, but it would be nice if the program waited and retried rather than aborting.

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm playing with it now. Nice GUI - makes the config easier, but it returned some error messages as it ran. First time I re-entered all, second time I ignored the errors and it all seems fine. Thanks for the feature to select files already on the drive - makes life easier.

I'm willing and wanting to try to get this going on the Mac, but my first attempts makes it look like there's no Perl on the machine, and it's supposed to be installed by default. So I installed the Mac version of Active Perl but still no joy. If I can't get that working I don't think I'll get too far!

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I was using the wireless connection for the Tivo it was so slow that transfers weren't happening. I've recently hardwired and the speeds I'm getting on transfers (according to Curl) average around 1950k. I'm using my Windows laptop to run the program and it's saving to a hard drive that's attached to a Mac Mini. The Mini and the laptop are both gigabit, but the Tivo is 10/100 so I don't think the gigabit would affect transfer rate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm still not having any success with encoding, but I think it's because I don't have proper settings. I'm trying to create an mp4 file for an ipod touch. Kevin gave me settings for it, but they're not working. Anyone else doing this and have proper settings?

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
When you say not working, what exactly is the issue? I used the exact ffmpeg command I gave you on a small clip and was able to play back the resulting encoded file without a problem using Videolan VLC player. NOTE: It won't play back in Windows Media Player because I don't have the proper codecs. Videolan VLC has it's own built in codecs.
I downloaded Videolan VLC and it does, in fact, work there. In Nero (which is what I usually use to convert to mp4) it took a long time to start and then played video but no audio. Quicktime gives an error message "The movie contains some invalid data", itunes won't load the file (so I can't test it on the ipod).

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got a component splitter and ran component cables to the three televisions. A 75' cable is about $40 on ebay, a 50' a bit less. I have the virtue that all of the televisions are on the ground floor and I was able to run the cable in the drop ceiling of the basement. Had to drill some pretty big holes to bring them up, but I was able to do it behind radiators and moulding, so it worked out well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You had me worried, Kevin. A whole day without a new release! I've been splitting my time between taking down a brick wall in my house and trying to get this working on a Mac. Two days to get a perl script recognized, now trying to get it to work. I get this when I run the script:

^* matches null string many times in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^* <-- HERE $/ at kmttg.pl line 268.
couldn't connect to display ":0" at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Tk/MainWindow.pm line 55.
MainWindow->new(-name,kmttg) at kmttg.pl line 1586

Mean anything to you?

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kevin,
Now I'm having a problem with my Windows installation. This is what I'm getting when I first run it:

>> Getting Now Playing List from Willow ...
C:\KMTTG\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "" --url "https://192.168.1.7/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes" --output "_1"
*ERROR* Failed to launch command: C:\KMTTG\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "" --url "https://192.168.1.7/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&Recurse=Yes" --output "_1"
*ERROR* The operation completed successfully.

And nothing downloads. I've deleted the config.ini and let it rebuild, but no joy.

On the other hand, I have it almost working in OS X. You were right - I needed to run it from X11. The documentation on getting perl scripts working in OS X sucks! I've been getting advice on a forum and I keep getting asked things like "oh, well don't you have (blah, blah) installed?" NO? WHY WOULD I? THIS IS THE FIRST I'VE HEARD OF IT!!!! Sorry - had to get that out of my system. The problem I'm having is that files won't download past about 410 mb. I just tried downloading from the https server and it's downloading the whole file, so the issue doesn't seem to be there. Anything you can think of that might cause that?

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fixed the Windows problem - it was a syntax error (I forgot the \ at the end of the output directory name).

OS X:
I ran the curl command at terminal and this is what I got:

mini:~ Mini$ /usr/bin/curl --anyauth --user tivo:00000000 --insecure --cookie-jar "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/cookies2936" --url "http://192.168.1.7:80/download/How&#37;20I%20Met%20Your%20Mother.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=507743" --output "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/How I Met Your Mother - The Bracket_Mon_Mar_31.TiVo"
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 51 0 51 0 0 146 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 146
mini:~ Mini$

The file is created in the correct output directory, but nothing is downloaded to it (unlike from kmttg where I get to around 400 mb and then the clock keeps running but nothing further downloads).

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kevin,
Still beating away at the Mac end of things. I was unsuccessful getting a different version of Curl going, but I believe the problem with running Curl at the command line was the "server busy" error, only I wasn't getting the error message. It's the same symptom, though - a file is created in the output directory but nothing is downloaded to it. In any case, I tried again to paste the syntax from the kmttg box into Terminal and it fully downloads the show. This is the same syntax that is stopping around 350 - 425 mb. I've duplicated these results with multiple shows of various lengths. In kmttg the clock keeps running but the show stops downloading and the progress meter stands still. I haven't let it do that for more than 10 minutes or so, but I'm going to set it running now and go to bed. I'll see what happens with the process running over night. You've successfully suppressed the terminal windows that the 3rd party programs open - is there any way to get them to open? Or to create a log that might show me what is going on?

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Couple of things - the problem wasn't the "server busy" problem, because when I tried again I got that. Problem with "server busy" is that it creates the file in the output directory but then kicks back the error and doesn't download. When I retry it won't download because the file already exists.

Back to the other problem - it did the same thing (after I deleted the empty file)says "queued" but never moves past that. Also doesn't let me select that to cancel the process, nor select anything else. Program won't close, either - I had to crash the whole X11 instance to shut it down. It is, however, downloading the file. I discovered this the second time I tried it. Unfortunately the problem is still there. In the most recent example it got to 402 mb and stopped downloading.

Any other ideas? I appreciate your efforts to help me work this out. I'm only starting to work on a Mac and Mac users are definitely second class citizens - nothing works there! It would be nice to bash one program into shape for the Mac users!

Thanks,
Anthony

1 - 20 of 37 Posts