TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Panasonic 42" Plasma TV (TH-42PX50U). :)
I already have DirectTV with a 2 tuner Tivo. I want to get the HDTV option and was wondering what people's opinions are on what I see as my options:

1) Get HDTV with the DirectTV HD Tivo. My price was around $514 after the $200 dollar rebate. After reading some other posts on this forum I should probably call them and try to renegotiate the price.

2) Get HDTV without the Tivo and wait for the Series 3 Tivo to come out. Question is, will it be compatible with DirectTV? Will I need a DirectTV HD Receiver and some kind of IR blaster to use this setup?

What are other people's plans here?

Thanks,
~stubbie

·
Registered
550 Posts
3) Wait for the new HD20-250 DVR coming out 2006.

I jumped in with both feet last October--new Plasma and HR10-250, etc. I figured I might as well enjoy the DVR part of HD while I was at it, and from the chit chat, it appears as though owning it might give me a leg up for trade in possiblities when the HR20 does come out.

Course, the downside is that even when the 20 comes out, I may not be eligble for a good trade program--least until Jacksonville's LiL comes online. At DMA 52, it ain't gonna be until 2007 sometime anyway. Perhaps the sub to NFLST will be able to get me a little higher on the transplant list--tough to say. Time will tell I guess.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying HD, OTA and recording stuff to watch--my NPL seems to always have something on it :)

Also...negotiate a better price. I didn't do much better, but $399 after rebate was okay with me. It's CSR Roulette time!

·
Registered
536 Posts
rlj5242 said:
2. Not compatible with D*. It will only work with cable and OTA.

-Robert
I'm pretty sure you can connect a stand alone TiVo to a DirecTV receiver. I used to do that before the DirecTiVo came out and it still shows that type of configuration on the TiVo website. You can use either a serial connection (if your DirecTV receiver supports it) or an IR blaster.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
RMSko said:
I'm pretty sure you can connect a stand alone TiVo to a DirecTV receiver. I used to do that before the DirecTiVo came out and it still shows that type of configuration on the TiVo website. You can use either a serial connection (if your DirecTV receiver supports it) or an IR blaster.
The OP is asking if the Series 3 HD Tivo will be able to work with D*. It will not. It only has inputs for cable and OTA.

-Robert

·
Registered
536 Posts
rlj5242 said:
The OP is asking if the Series 3 HD Tivo will be able to work with D*. It will not. It only has inputs for cable and OTA.

-Robert
I understand that there is no coax sat input, but you don't need that. All you need in the Series 3 TiVo is either an HDMI or component input. The coax sat input will go to the sat receiver and then either component or HDMI will go from the HD sat receiver to the Series 3 TiVo. You would then run HDMI or component out from the Series 3 TiVo to the TV. It's very similar to how it works with the the Series 2 TiVo's, except with those you use composite instead of HDMI/component.

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
stubbie said:
1) Get HDTV with the DirectTV HD Tivo. My price was around $514 after the $200 dollar rebate. After reading some other posts on this forum I should probably call them and try to renegotiate the price.
If you decide on HDtivo, you could get it retail for 599-200 rebate at best buy. No way should you be paying 514 net...if i'm reading you right.

and a call to retention may get you a deal but people have said it's dried up lately.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
RMSko said:
All you need in the Series 3 TiVo is either an HDMI or component input.
The Series 3 displayed at CES this year had neither HDMI nor component inputs. HDMI would be easier to implement as long as they could legally get around the copy protection issues. Component input has no copy protection issues but it would price the Series 3 out of the market. You can get an HDTV capture card now that has component inputs. Someone posted a link to it last year. I think it cost around $5,000. It would require a pair of similar circuits to accomplish this on the Series 3.

-Robert

·
BlearyEyed
143 Posts
Stubbie,
I was in your same position last week. Just bought an HD set, wanted to know if I should stick with DirecTV and if I should invest in a DVR that DirecTV no longer plans to support. I did a lot of reading on this board, it helps to be educated. In the end I called DirecTV and got a free install of a new dish, OTA antenna and 6 months of free HD service. I bought the receiver at Best Buy for the $399 mentioned above. Getting my installation done tomorrow.

·
Registered
586 Posts
RMSko said:
I understand that there is no coax sat input, but you don't need that. All you need in the Series 3 TiVo is either an HDMI or component input. The coax sat input will go to the sat receiver and then either component or HDMI will go from the HD sat receiver to the Series 3 TiVo. You would then run HDMI or component out from the Series 3 TiVo to the TV. It's very similar to how it works with the the Series 2 TiVo's, except with those you use composite instead of HDMI/component.
Once again, no...

Will NOT work with D*

·
Bone marrow lover!
12,816 Posts
Stubbie:

I just got myself a new plasma on 1/23. Just had Directv come out and upgrade my dish to a 3LNB, OTA, HD-DVR Tivo. Ended up costing me $200 but I got a ton of programming credits. The deal you get is 100% luck. If you call the right person you get lucky otherwise expect to pay a little more for the DVR.

So far no regrets. But then again only been HD one night so not sure how good my OTA is and will stay long term.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts