TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
GBL said:
You could try and see if the TiVo powers up your other spare 40GB drive - if it does, that makes it more likely that the WD drive is out of specs.
He says the TiVo works fine with the original drive.
waityn4jc said:
....I can then return the old hard drive back into the TIVO and everything is fine....
This is why I asked about the specs on the 120GB drive in the first place.

It might be both an out of spec drive AND a marginal power supply.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That test you tried on the computer to tivo makes sense to me. Some computers (compaq comes to mind for one) used a "special" wire that automatically told the computer what to use regardless of the manual slave,master etc. settings. So perhaps if it works as you said that way you could try then getting that same type wire and use in the tivo. Otherwise suspect a soon to fail power supply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you all for your help. I guess I presume my problem to be the hard drive so I guess I will have to get a new one. If I still had an old computer power supply I could just plug it up next to the TIVO but I don't anymore. It would have to have been an old one that controlled the boot up of the machine and not controlled by the motherboard. Anyhow, any advise on which size/cost/model is the best and most cost effective? Unless someone has a 120GB+ drive sitting around they do not need anymore. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In case ya'll are wondering, it was the hard drive was out of spec. I now have my TIVO running two 40GB drives. Not the recording space I want, but it will have to do for now. Perhaps I will get another drive later.

Anyone got great advise on hard drives and where to get them? What is the most cost effective size today?
Do buffers matter at all in TIVO?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You could support the sponsors of this forum they even have preloaded drives you can drop in. I will recommend WeakNees http://www.weaknees.com/upgrades.php Or check the sunday ads, BestBuy, Campus, CircuitCity There seems to always be one on sale 250G or 300G seems to be the price break point ($/Gig) ... There are many online stores NewEGG.com TigerDirect.com Do you know about http://www.pricewatch.com/ ?

The most basic EIDE (PATA) Drive will do buffer size is not a concern.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.