TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody seen these two new game shows? I'm not actually trying to make a thread to be negative, but I think it will read this way.

Generation Gap is a modified version of the segment that shows up on Jimmy Kimmel Live.. On JKL, it's an old person (e.g. 80s) and a young person (under 14 or so at most?), answering questions about pop culture and stuff from the other's generation. I understand they'd have to modify it pretty severely to make it a regular show, but it's not even the young/old against each other anymore. I will try it a few more times at least (though, as usual, with game show stuff, watch at 1.7x or faster). On the first ep, Ryan Seacrest was the "special guest", and I wondered why they didn't even mention American Idol.. Well, they did, and he goofed, so they had to stop taping for 45 minutes.

"The Final Straw" is vaguely Jenga but with props. They build a big tower thing of various props, and teams take an item out one by one until it falls.. Pretty dumb.. haven't killed OP yet but prob will.. or may see ONE more ep just to see if they changed it. Even the fox show about placing items in miniature scenes was more entertaining, and that was pretty dumb too..

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I enjoy seeing old people not know information about today or young people who don't know what my generation knew.

Sometimes the old people don't know what they're supposed to and sometimes the young people know what the old people know. I'm surprised at how much I don't know. But amazingly I know more than one would expect about today.

When the category is music, I've never even heard of some of these people. And I rarely get them right.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Generation Gap is kind of fun. The new game show that might drive me crazy in a good way is Claim To Fame. It's like a combination of Big Brother and The Masked Singer. Every resident of the house is related to somebody 'famous' and the game is to guess who. The first episode they had to send home a contestant for cheating (sneaking a cell phone into the house). If not for that "Pepper" would have been eliminated.

·
Registered
26,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
last night's generation gap was better.. though I still wish it were a bit closer to the original Kimmel segment (but yeah I realize that wouldn't work exactly as a regular game show).

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I didn't think the contestants were quite as good, but the Black man had a lot of personality. Kelly's outfit was great and she was so cute with the child.

I don't think much of this letting the child choose the prize if the family is deprived of a car, because no child will choose the car.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,329 Posts
My son watched the first episode of Gen Gap and recommended it so we watched the 2nd episode. It was OK. I like the bit where they matched two faces and you had to guess the common name. That was kind of fun.

But, Kelly Ripa might be the worst game show host in the history of game show hosts. She's just terrible, brings nothing to the show and she pontificates on and on about nothing. And how many interviews between Kelly and the contestants do you need? Seemed like after every commercial break they were interviewing the contestants, than their "family members" then "special guest" who happened to naturally star on a Disney show (cross promotion of course! It's 2022). This could have been a 30 minute show if they cut out all of the BS. Glad I recorded it because I probably would have quit watching at some point. If they replace Kelly with someone who knows how to run a game show, this could be halfway decent, but I don't think we'll watch anymore.

·
Registered
26,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think much of this letting the child choose the prize if the family is deprived of a car, because no child will choose the car.
That's funny, because I can totally imagine Jimmy Kimmel cackling his head off about this. It's a total "goof" because of that, that the kid will usually pick the obviously way less useful to adults prize.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,329 Posts
That's funny, because I can totally imagine Jimmy Kimmel cackling his head off about this. It's a total "goof" because of that, that the kid will usually pick the obviously way less useful to adults prize.
The problem with it, at least in the recent episode is it was clear to me that Kelly was leading him to the game and away from the car. He probably goes to the game anyway, but it was so obvious they weren't going to let him go NEAR a very shiny $50k car and be out that money. Maybe if they just let the kid walk whereever he wanted he choose the car. We won't know because Kelly practically carried him to the game.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I was looking forward to the game shows (the other was "Press Your Luck", not "The Final Straw") but they didn't record. Since "Untied States of Al", "Ghosts" and "B Positive" were all January 6 Hearings, that must be what happened. Probably better to keep those repeating manual recordings "just in case".

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I only saw one episode of Generation Gap, and didn't like it.
Overall, I thought it was too easy. And the last bit to guess the guests name - they didn't even guess his name. They were just guessing the opposite of "high" for the 2nd half of his name...
The thing that really bothered me though is that I thought the gameplay was unclear - who's allowed to buzz in for the steal - and when?
Maybe I'm just projecting, but to me, it didn't look like the contestants were clear on that either.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The 12-year-old girl was pretty and adorable. Not that smart but she did say she was good at math, so she's smart in areas other than what the show is about.

I wish Kelly had been wearing the pink outfit when Pink was one of the responses.

I have no idea who the mystery guest was and if she's surprised someone never heard of one of her videos, well, why should they?

At the start of the recording I always see the winnings of the person who won on "Press Your Luck" and I was so glad I knew. The previous episode had a winner who ended up with lots of money but it was amazing that she did, because when I finally watched she got a Whammy. This time, the man was this close to a million dollars. Once you get a million, the game is over and there can be no Whammy. Just one "spin". And he got a Whammy. I knew he would because his total winnings were not a million.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
I wonder if all the episodes were filmed before they started airing them. Surely you could convince the kid to pick the car if you knew ahead of time what was coming.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I would guess they did. At the opening of the show they showed a quick montage of lots of mystery celebrities, most of whose episodes havn't aired yet. They'll have to come up with a new gimmick if they get renewed.

·
With an "L"
4,266 Posts
The current-era primetime games are almost always done filming for the season well before they premiere, usually in a 2 week burst of shooting.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I have seen Marla Gibbs in a lot of shows I liked. I guess no one has heard of "The First Family", but there were a lot of really good actors in that one. She played the mother-in-law of the second African-American president of the United States. I wish that man had been real so I could have voted for him. John Witherspoon died several months or years ago and people thought he was a really great actor. He was the president's embarrassing father. Jackee, Gibbs' co-star from "227", was the president's embarrassing sister-in-law.

Those poor kids had no idea who she was. She almost gave them her name but they still couldn't figure it out. One did correctly say her last name was "Gibs", which was close enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts