TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally at that stage in the new house build to call in to FIOS to sign up.

I plan on signing up for GBit Internet service (potential work beckons, and I figure I can always downgrade after the fact if I'm not working from home). I'm pretty sure I'll order their router, as it appears to be included with GBit service and I'm told by my brother that their router is very dependable. I already have Wired Access points that I can install via cabledrops wired into the home. But I'll at least have their working wi-fi when they're finished doing the install.

I then plan on asking for NO DVR, but just an M-Cablecard for my current lifetime TiVo Roamio Plus. I don't need their DVR. How reliable is Verizon in setting up new Cablecards?

Any comments on the above topics?

And the most complex part of the current question, which of their premium channels, aka HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, etc, are better off getting as part of their package vs just ordering a la carte as streaming services. We do have some fairly regular shows we watch on HBO and Showtime, so WAF will mandate those two services, it's just a matter of the most cost efficient way of subscribing to them. Additionally, any thoughts on all of their TV packages? YouTubeTV vs legacy QAM tv with my current lifetimed TiVo?

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
I have Fios gigabit and their router. Works great. I get very close to the advertised speed. Very reliable.

I have a grandfathered tv package with no premiums and a cablecard. The cablecard is self-serve setup via a website. Very easy.

Once in 5 years I wasn’t getting a few channels and I had to do a chat with them to send some pings to the card.

TiVo+Fios is great, you won’t regret it.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I then plan on asking for NO DVR, but just an M-Cablecard for my current lifetime TiVo Roamio Plus. I don't need their DVR. How reliable is Verizon in setting up new Cablecards? Any comments on the above topics?
It appears that Verizon is making life more miserable for TiVo users. There is no package now that does not include an STB. "More" and "Most" include DVR service. And, it has been reported that cableCARDs are now $10/mo. You could let us know if you get charged $5 or $10 when you order. You can't get the cableCARD when ordering on-line, so start your order and before you proceed, start a chat session to add the cableCARD. Fios Mix and Match: Custom Internet, TV and Phone Packages, Plans and Bundles | Verizon

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
I always find it more reliable to call when trying to order a non-standard package.

Getting a Fios package without STB was a LOT easier than doing it with Spectrum. And I still qualify for a nice tv+internet bundle discount (I’m grandfathered).

I am curious what they will charge you for the CC as a new customer.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the 99 installation fee waived... but they will be charging me $10 for the cablecard.

Started the process online... then went into a chat session.
The chat agent made it relatively easy.

My only concern, is to get a a $10 discount, I had to set up an autopay out of my checking account. I'm seriously now considering a smaller checking account with limited funds for these kinds of autopay situations.

·
jay_man-also
11,387 Posts
Got the 99 installation fee waived... but they will be charging me $10 for the cablecard.

Started the process online... then went into a chat session.
The chat agent made it relatively easy.

My only concern, is to get a a $10 discount, I had to set up an autopay out of my checking account. I'm seriously now considering a smaller checking account with limited funds for these kinds of autopay situations.
Autopay to a Verizon Visa gets the autopay discount and reward dollars to apply to a FiOS or Verizon Wireless bill. Those two bills are the only thing I use.a Verizon Visa for.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Autopay to a Verizon Visa gets the autopay discount and reward dollars to apply to a FiOS or Verizon Wireless bill. Those two bills are the only thing I use.a Verizon Visa for.
I looked into this based on your reply. It seems they only issue this card to their Verizon Wireless customers. Otherwise I'd get this card in a heartbeat.

·
TiVowner since 1999
1,392 Posts
Have you considered a debit card tied to your checking account? That's how I pay my monthly FiOS internet bill.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you considered a debit card tied to your checking account? That's how I pay my monthly FiOS internet bill.
I do have a debit card... Since I've not used it for anything else, I elected to go with my banks routing and account numbers, since they draw from the same as the debit card.

I'll be changing a lot about my finances over the next few months once I close on the new place. Don't want to make too many changes before the mortgage is issued. At that point I may elect move my checking account, and use the current one for autopays.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
So I'm finally at that stage in the new house build to call in to FIOS to sign up.
Just curious, do you happen to live in the NYC area? FiOS has rolled out a new 2 Gig service tier in that area which requires a new version ONT to be installed in the house. The new ONT does not support QAM TV (has no coax jack), so FiOS TV cannot be ordered by folks with the new ONT. I don't know but I would suspect that all new installs in that area going forward will get the new 2 Gig-capable ONT. And obviously any existing customers who wish to upgrade their speed to 2 Gigs will have to have their ONT switched out for the new model.

I think Verizon will be doing this throughout their FiOS footprint, they're just starting in NYC.

Additionally, any thoughts on all of their TV packages? YouTubeTV vs legacy QAM tv with my current lifetimed TiVo?
You'll probably come out cheaper to go with YouTube TV but of course you'll have to check for yourself. Be sure to include any add-on fees for broadcast TV channels and regional sports networks that FiOS TV may have. YouTube TV has no add-on fees (other than local/state sales tax if that's applicable where you live). And be aware that YouTube TV does not carry the A+E networks (i.e. A&E, History, Lifetime, LMN, Vice). I'm sure FiOS TV would have those, in case you care about them.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
You'll probably come out cheaper to go with YouTube TV but of course you'll have to check for yourself. Be sure to include any add-on fees for broadcast TV channels and regional sports networks that FiOS TV may have. YouTube TV has no add-on fees (other than local/state sales tax if that's applicable where you live). And be aware that YouTube TV does not carry the A+E networks (i.e. A&E, History, Lifetime, LMN, Vice). I'm sure FiOS TV would have those, in case you care about them.
Fios' packages for new customers have no add-on fees. Broadcast Fees and RSN fees are baked in. The STB is also included in the price. DVR is also included in the "More" package with RSN (currently $90 + $10 CableCARD) and the "Most" package with RSN (Currently $110 + $10 CableCARD).

Edit: The "Your" package is $70 + $10 cableCARD.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was very much suprised by the taxes and fees... all of .20. Apparently it is all baked in, and it also being Delaware, there's no sales tax, and I guess no other state taxes. I went Gbit service which includes their router. I'll sub in my own router after everything is up and running and probably drop down to one of the lower tiers to cut costs later on.

Not sure how I want to deal with the TV lineups yet, but I get 60 days with all the channels at the bottom TV cost. After then I'll probably convince my wife that the lowest tier package will be fine... we really don't need all the extra channels.

And yes, we're getting HBOMax... have to start playing the other premium channel games. I'll soon have to start paying for Paramount+ and Showtime, both of which I now get for free thru work.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I was very much suprised by the taxes and fees... all of .20. Apparently it is all baked in, and it also being Delaware, there's no sales tax, and I guess no other state taxes.
With all of the rules and regulations businesses are required to follow, it amazes me that companies can advertise $79 triple play and it turns out to be $135.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With all of the rules and regulations businesses are required to follow, it amazes me that companies can advertise $79 triple play and it turns out to be $135.
Unfortunately for the last 40 years our society has completely relaxed all rules and regulations on businesses allowing that kind of crap. It's a good part of what's driving today's current inflation and the ever growing economic wealth gap between the lower and middle class vs the upper class. This goes all the way back to the mid-80s.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Fios' packages for new customers have no add-on fees. Broadcast Fees and RSN fees are baked in. The STB is also included in the price. DVR is also included in the "More" package with RSN (currently $90 + $10 CableCARD) and the "Most" package with RSN (Currently $110 + $10 CableCARD).
Interesting. So for the same $90/mo that the More FiOS TV package costs, you could get DirecTV Stream's Choice package. Both include a broad array of channels, including RSNs, with no extra "gotcha" fees. FiOS TV is including a single STB in that price while DTV does not (but if you want their optional custom box + voice remote as opposed to just using the DTV Stream app, you can buy it new at $5/mo for 24 months or buy a refurb with the same 1-yr warranty for $50 up-front). But note that you're only getting "basic DVR" service in that More FiOS TV package -- recordings viewable on only that one box, only 2 tuners, only 50 hours of storage. DTV Stream includes a watch-anywhere cloud DVR with unlimited "tuners" and unlimited storage, although a max of 30 eps of any one series and recordings last only 9 months. My guess is that FiOS's More TV includes a few more channels than DTV Stream's Choice, although IDK for sure. Lastly, I think everyone who's laid eyes on both would say that DTV Stream has superior HD picture quality versus FiOS TV.

As to FiOS TV's $70/mo package, Your FiOS TV, it doesn't make sense to me versus the $65/mo YouTube TV service they also sell unless one can opt to include your local RSN(s) in your custom channel line-up at no additional cost. Because Your FiOS TV doesn't include DVR service at all and is only viewable on one TV (i.e. only one STB included) unless you rent additional STBs. Meanwhile, of course, YTTV is viewable on multiple screens and has unlimited 9-month cloud DVR. Only major channels it lacks which I'm sure you could opt to include in Your FiOS TV are those A+E nets (and maybe RSNs?).

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Interesting. So for the same $90/mo that the More FiOS TV package costs, you could get DirecTV Stream's Choice package. Both include a broad array of channels, including RSNs, with no extra "gotcha" fees. FiOS TV is including a single STB in that price while DTV does not (but if you want their optional custom box + voice remote as opposed to just using the DTV Stream app, you can buy it new at $5/mo for 24 months or buy a refurb with the same 1-yr warranty for $50 up-front).
The included STB with Fios washes with the cableCARD fee, which you would need with a TiVo. So, the DTV Stream price is equivalent.

As to FiOS TV's $70/mo package, Your FiOS TV, it doesn't make sense to me versus the $65/mo YouTube TV service they also sell unless one can opt to include your local RSN(s) in your custom channel line-up at no additional cost.
Fios "Your TV" does NOT include any RSN.

In my case, I'm paying for the old Mix & Match 1.0 "More" TV package for $76 (+ $5 for the cableCARD) and it includes my RSN (NESN) and no additional fees. This price is the same as Fubo ($80), the only other service besides Direct TV Stream that includes my RSN.

But, even if I was forced to pay more for Fios TV, I think I would prefer that over any streaming service. I really don't like the way FF/REW/SKIP works on streaming services. There is always a delay, and in many cases there is no preview. Not to mention, there is no SLO-MO, no commercial skip, and no TiVo (with its unlimited local DVR). Having tried YTTV, Sling & Fubo, I am much more satisfied with TiVo on Fios. I love the versatility of having minis in every room along with the ability to use my 2 TiVo's, one for OTA and the other for cable. In all honesty, I have not tried Direct TV Stream due to the price, but I'm sure everything you say is true. Just the conclusion I've come to, for me. :)

That said, it sure looks like Verizon is going to eliminate Fios QAM TV. They even offer YTTV. If they push everyone off of QAM to IP, I'll obviously have no choice but to move on,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts