TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, can I use the USB ports on this receiver to connect to a wireless home network and do my updates, manage music files etc. Doesn't seem from what I read that this is possible with a DirecTV receiver.

Second, I had an older model DirecTV Receiver (Hughes) which had a cable output that I used to feed the signal to a small TV in the kitchen. The new receiver doesn't have this output, so what do I need to do to use both receivers and continue to get the signal to the kitchen TV. I can leave the old receiver in the same location I had it, but I only have two cables coming to that area from the original installation.

·
DTV + Tvio = ;-)
1,084 Posts
First, unfortunately not without hacking it.

Second, run the RCA output through a VCR/DVD, etc. and then on to the kitchen.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
rnmcdowell said:
First, can I use the USB ports on this receiver to connect to a wireless home network and do my updates, manage music files etc. Doesn't seem from what I read that this is possible with a DirecTV receiver.

Second, I had an older model DirecTV Receiver (Hughes) which had a cable output that I used to feed the signal to a small TV in the kitchen. The new receiver doesn't have this output, so what do I need to do to use both receivers and continue to get the signal to the kitchen TV. I can leave the old receiver in the same location I had it, but I only have two cables coming to that area from the original installation.
Even if hacked, the HD10 is running version 3 level software, and so it doesn't have native support for music file management and the like. You can run TiVoWebPlus, and some other utilities, but the HMO-style features require at least version 6.

Another option, if you don't have a VCR handy, is to pick up a cheap RF modulator on eBay or at RadioShack. You'd just hook the composite video into the modulator and it will generate the same channel 3 or 4 output the old receiver did.

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
walmarts or home depots ( i forget which one sorry) 15 dollar modulator does the trick for me. bought one then went to the other store to price them, the thing was much smaller a unit and a bit cheaper. Behind the maze of wires I have, smaller is better.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks....good suggestions from both Dan and morgantown. Here's the problem. I have the video and audio outputs from my going to my DVD Recorder so I can transfer stuff from the HR DVR to the recorder, and there is only one set of these jacks. Unfortunately my DVR (Panasonic DMR-E55) while it has a 75 ohm output indicates in the manual that it doesn't send the video and audio signals to a TV...and it doesn't. I tried that. I also have a VCR and I could run the HR 10-250 through that, but then I think I may not be able to run that on into the Panasonic DVR and record DVRs from the HR 10. I can't use the RD modulator approach I don't think, because I have the HR 10-250 running through the TV or HDMI and when you do that the composite outputs don't work, according to the manual. Other ideas guys? Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.