TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting Thursday, the following channels' programs are showing up copy protected on Frontier (previously Verizon Fios) in the Dallas area:

550 - USA (NBCU)
552 - TBS (Time Warner)
568 - WGN (Tribune)
680 - SyFy (NBCU)
685 - Bravo (NBCU)
689 - BBC America (AMC)
690 - Comedy Central (Viacom)
699 - Freeform (Disney)
715 - MTV Live (Viacom)
734 - IFC (AMC)

Previously the only channels protected were FX and some other Fox properties. The list above is probably incomplete, I only listed channels for which I have recordings.

I was wondering if others are seeing this on Frontier or Verizon in Dallas or other cities?

The most troubling thing about this is (as you can see from the list) there isn't just one company being blocked, this look like an almost blanket block of basic & extended tier channels. But some channels still show unprotected (Discovery, Cartoon Network, TruTV).

·
wait.. I did what?
15,102 Posts
Frontier usually lists EVERYTHING but locals as protected unlike Verizon which was only some pay channels and then the FX networks, sounds like they finally switched you over to Frontier settings, my condolences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Dallas area on Frontier FIOS, I am seeing this as well on:

569 - AXSTV
752 - NICKHD
780 - DISHD
781 - DXDHD

It seems to have started on 10/27. Really a bummer!

Starting Thursday, the following channels' programs are showing up copy protected on Frontier (previously Verizon Fios) in the Dallas area:

550 - USA (NBCU)
552 - TBS (Time Warner)
568 - WGN (Tribune)
680 - SyFy (NBCU)
685 - Bravo (NBCU)
689 - BBC America (AMC)
690 - Comedy Central (Viacom)
699 - Freeform (Disney)
715 - MTV Live (Viacom)
734 - IFC (AMC)

Previously the only channels protected were FX and some other Fox properties. The list above is probably incomplete, I only listed channels for which I have recordings.

I was wondering if others are seeing this on Frontier or Verizon in Dallas or other cities?

The most troubling thing about this is (as you can see from the list) there isn't just one company being blocked, this look like an almost blanket block of basic & extended tier channels. But some channels still show unprotected (Discovery, Cartoon Network, TruTV).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this is all really bad news! Guess it's time to take a serious look at cutting the cord. I'm not going to make analog copies or resort to downloading for my own copies. So I might as well look at streaming options and OTA. Might even save some money.

Frontier is really shooting themselves in the foot here.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Something weird going on. Looking at kmttg for shows recorded over the weekend some channels that have never been copy protected have shows that can't be copied. Looking right now,
I haven't found any copy-protected channels, including HBO and Fox channels.

(Shhhhh!)

but I haven't checked all of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now all shows recorded since midnight today are not copy protected - shows that were copy protected before then are still copy protected, though.

I hope they stay non-cp, but not holding my breath...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the recordings. I'm asking about the actual channels.
I only know of one way - it's not easy. Go to Tivo Box Diagnostics (under Account and System Info) and each tuner will be listed along with the channel it is tuned to. Look for the CCI Byte, if it is 0x00, the channel can be copied, anything else is restricted (0x02 is typical for channels that can't be copied).

This is on a Roamio Pro.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I only know of one way - it's not easy. Go to Tivo Box Diagnostics (under Account and System Info) and each tuner will be listed along with the channel it is tuned to. Look for the CCI Byte, if it is 0x00, the channel can be copied, anything else is restricted (0x02 is typical for channels that can't be copied).

This is on a Roamio Pro.
I've seen that, and yes, you are correct, it's not easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.