TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 487 Posts

·
TDL shepherd
17,524 Posts
Why can't you turn around and sell the Premiere XL4 I have after the transfer so someone else can activate and use?
You/they could. The Premieres don't have an activation block on them like some of the older TiVo models. So your Premiere is still usable after the Lifetime transfer, and has resale value... just less value than when it included Lifetime service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the 500GB Bolt with the transfer. I decided it was worth it since my Premiere has been doing weird things like filling up with shows I've never heard of and deleting things I had put a do not delete on. I like the idea of the streaming also, even if it will only apply to OTA channels due to the Spectrum/TWC block. It's good to know the Premiere can be re-activated down the road, maybe I will give it to a relative or use it elsewhere on a monthly basis.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Bolt is 2 years old now, before the Rovi take over a TiVo employee indicated their normal refresh time period was 3 years, however that employee is gone, there is no cable card replacement in site, many people believe cable will be converting from QAM to IPTV delivery, and the new TiVo's main focus is not consumer hardware, thus resulting in many people believing TiVo will never release a new cable card DVR.

Our the simpler answer is we have no idea, but there has been zero rumors about any new/upcoming DVRs.
For every person who think they can predict the future, that same person makes costly mistakes at the same rate.

Ain't life fun?

·
Registered
36,382 Posts
Just to be clear, beyond the color and HDD capacity, the white BOLTs are capable of OTA or CableCARD, while the black BOLT+ is strictly CableCARD. (I expect you're aware of this, but I felt compelled to mentioned it, anyway --- partly because I felt TiVo's web page associated with the deal fails to properly differentiate between the models.)
Thanks for the additional info. Also the 3TB one does 6 shows at once right? I believe off one M-Card? I am too far from the NYC towers to get OTA.

We are going to hold on to our Premiers for another year. Just upgraded the HDs in both (the other a few months ago) and picked up a new peanut remote which should be here Monday. Had I known this deal was coming I would have probably passed on the last 3TB HD and remote and upgraded the one we have the loud fan.

Perhaps if they repeat this deal in a year or so from now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You/they could. The Premieres don't have an activation block on them like some of the older TiVo models. So your Premiere is still usable after the Lifetime transfer, and has resale value... just less value than when it included Lifetime service.
Yes, the old TiVo is supposed to become a boat anchor (I was thinking doorstop, myself) after the transfer is competed. Of course, my Humax S2 was the donor unit for their offer in April and it still appears in my account as a unit in good standing (although they're not offering to transfer that unit again - first thing I checked).
So these 2 statement contradicts each other...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a premiere XL 4 with a whole bunch of shows recorded. If I upgrade to the Bolt+ how do I move my recordings to the new device? And if I can't move the shows, would I be able to continue watching the recorded shows after 10/31 when they plan to deactivate the unit. (Does it go into brick mode, or is the content still accessible).
thanks.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
I have a premiere XL 4 with a whole bunch of shows recorded. If I upgrade to the Bolt+ how do I move my recordings to the new device? And if I can't move the shows, would I be able to continue watching the recorded shows after 10/31 when they plan to deactivate the unit. (Does it go into brick mode, or is the content still accessible).
thanks.
If you can transfer the shows on your Premiere to a new Bolt+ (or a computer for that matter) depends on how your cable company coded them. After the service runs out on the Premiere if you have shows left on it you can still watch them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
TiVo Chat told me today that I won't be able to transfer shows from a deactivated TiVo. I say this in case some of you are considering putting off the decision a week or two... You may need the extra month to transfer shows from old Premiere to new Bolt. I know I will since my ethernet jack is broken and am relying on wireless adapter. Of course, you can keep the old Premiere plugged in on a separate input and watch already-recorded shows while deactivated.

·
I'm back!
35,853 Posts
If i buy the new bolt at best buy can i still get the $99.00 lifetime deal? or do i have to puchase directly from TIVO to get the deal? P.S. does the bolt stream 4k on netflix,hulu and you tube?
You have to buy from TiVo for the Lifetime transfer deal but you might be able to get a price match if your credit card offers price protection. My email receipt from TiVo shows the unit price and the $99 subscription on separate lines.

After April many people reported success with getting a price match from their credit card. I checked Amazon before buying and currently their price is the same as TiVo's price, but typically price protection runs for at least a month or two after the purchase.

61 - 80 of 487 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.