TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 487 Posts

·
Super Moderator
55,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So this offer greatly appeals to me but Bolt+ has been out for so long that I'd originally been waiting for just the next generation box so I could have the latest and greatest as soon as it came out. What do you guys think about the release of the next generation of tivo boxes? Will there be one in the next year or so? I could probably live forever with my TiVo XL4 since 4k isn't broadcasting yet and I don't have a 4k TV. I also don't mind fast forwarding through the commercials instead of gaining skip mode. However, about 6 months ago, the wifi jack on my XL4 no longer works, and so I'm connecting to the internet via the wireless adapter. With my box 80% full, how tedious would it be to transfer all my shows via wireless?
Even if there is, which I doubt, it won't have the $99 transfer deal so unless you want to pay $550 just for lifetime service I'd take them up on this deal.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Stay tuned . . . could come back (and I'd have the S2 dial-in periodically).
It would be nice if they just gave us a choice. I have a Series 2, HD and a first-gen Premiere. It would be a bit punchy of TiVo to presume we can ONLY afford to purchase upgrades when THEY want us to. I know I'm not in a position to trade in three units when they seem fit. I could afford one in the spring. So I hope the days of Series 2 / HD upgrades aren't over.
Since we're the ones who shelled out for the units/Lifetime service, shouldn't WE be the ones who decide which units we can upgrade?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
So this offer greatly appeals to me but Bolt+ has been out for so long that I'd originally been waiting for just the next generation box so I could have the latest and greatest as soon as it came out. What do you guys think about the release of the next generation of tivo boxes? Will there be one in the next year or so? I could probably live forever with my TiVo XL4 since 4k isn't broadcasting yet and I don't have a 4k TV. I also don't mind fast forwarding through the commercials instead of gaining skip mode. However, about 6 months ago, the wifi jack on my XL4 no longer works, and so I'm connecting to the internet via the wireless adapter. With my box 80% full, how tedious would it be to transfer all my shows via wireless?
The Bolt is 2 years old now, before the Rovi take over a TiVo employee indicated their normal refresh time period was 3 years, however that employee is gone, there is no cable card replacement in site, many people believe cable will be converting from QAM to IPTV delivery, and the new TiVo's main focus is not consumer hardware, thus resulting in many people believing TiVo will never release a new cable card DVR.

Our the simpler answer is we have no idea, but there has been zero rumors about any new/upcoming DVRs.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
It would be nice if they just gave us a choice. I have a Series 2, HD and a first-gen Premiere. It would be a bit punchy of TiVo to presume we can ONLY afford to purchase upgrades when THEY want us to. I know I'm not in a position to trade in three units when they seem fit. I could afford one in the spring. So I hope the days of Series 2 / HD upgrades aren't over.
Since we're the ones who shelled out for the units/Lifetime service, shouldn't WE be the ones who decide which units we can upgrade?
Yep, I agree, consumer-friendly behavior and predictable courtesy to the consumer in the marketplace would be nice. But, this is now, and this is their deal to offer when, how, and if they want . . . . (They did offer more choice in the Spring, when the offer was slated as a "once-in-a-lifetime offer"--I guess that people should be happy that this is the third time or so that a transfer upgrade offer has been extended this year or so, albeit covering different older boxes.)

·
Just the facts ma'am
11,182 Posts
Wow and no. Believing that Tivo should be making these offers when it's convenient for you is just plain ludicrous.

Reactions: jrtroo and NoVa

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just received the lifetime transfer email. I have a 5-year old Premiere XL4 connected to TWC (Spectrum) service with a CableCard and Tuning Adapter. Can I use the same CC and TA with the Bolt? What's the pairing process?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
They key words with these offers. In my experience, if you expect that they'll be back, they won't be, and if you don't expect them, they reappear. ;)
I just ordered the 500gb Bolt and looking at my order history it's really not a bad deal as is. Including tax it's just $99 more than I paid for a refurbed Roamio OTA this past Black Friday. That gets you a faster processor, cable card bracket for cable option, and a built-in backup Stream.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
I just ordered the 500gb Bolt and looking at my order history it's really not a bad deal as is. Including tax it's just $99 more than I paid for a refurbed Roamio OTA this past Black Friday. That gets you a faster processor, cable card bracket for cable option, and a built-in backup Stream.
I agree. Although, as others may point out, you're also losing the service of your old box, in the process.

·
Dis Member
222 Posts
D'oh!

Just took my TiVo HD and S2 off the shelf earlier this week in hopes of an offer like this. Was happy for about five seconds before reading the TSN in the e-mail.

I'm perfectly happy with the Premiere for my needs, so going to let this one go by.

Reactions: MMG

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
D'oh!

Just took my TiVo HD and S2 off the shelf earlier this week in hopes of an offer like this. Was happy for about five seconds before reading the TSN in the e-mail.

I'm perfectly happy with the Premiere for my needs, so going to let this one go by.
Give matters a few months--who knows what offers, with what permutations, will appear. ;) (Be sure to have the boxes dialing in to TiVO HQ periodically.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, the old TiVo is supposed to become a boat anchor (I was thinking doorstop, myself) after the transfer is competed. Of course, my Humax S2 was the donor unit for their offer in April and it still appears in my account as a unit in good standing (although they're not offering to transfer that unit again - first thing I checked).
Why can't you turn around and sell the Premiere XL4 I have after the transfer so someone else can activate and use?

·
TDL shepherd
17,851 Posts
Also not a fan of white so would have to get the 3tb in black.
Just to be clear, beyond the color and HDD capacity, the white BOLTs are capable of OTA or CableCARD, while the black BOLT+ is strictly CableCARD. (I expect you're aware of this, but I felt compelled to mentioned it, anyway --- partly because I felt TiVo's web page associated with the deal fails to properly differentiate between the models.)

edit: p.s. In addition, via a reminder from @jcondon, the BOLT+ CableCARD-only model has 6 CableCARD tuners, versus the 4 tuners in the "lesser" BOLT model.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just received the lifetime transfer email. I have a 5-year old Premiere XL4 connected to TWC (Spectrum) service with a CableCard and Tuning Adapter. Can I use the same CC and TA with the Bolt? What's the pairing process?
Yes and Yes. During the Spring promo I got a new one for our FL place (Brighthouse/Spectrum) and had no trouble. I may have had to call and ask them to remotely "zap" the card, I don't remember. But you won't have to get a new card or tuning adapter.

kathy

41 - 60 of 487 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.