TiVo Community Forum banner
221 - 240 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Does anybody know how soon service goes away on the "lifetime traded" Tivo?

Also, is there anyway to verify which TiVo is losing service? I know I triple checked it when I filled out the form, but I wish I had it in writing in the order mail or online...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

Also, is there anyway to verify which TiVo is losing service? I know I triple checked it when I filled out the form, but I wish I had it in writing in the order mail or online...
The deactivation date is in the offer email (10/31/17?).

The TiVo whose TSN you entered as Promo Code will be deactivated.

·
2,358 Posts
BTW how many TiVos do you have? I saw on another thread you have at least 1 PXL4 and here you are considering transferring lifetime on 2 PXLs.
Too many...

Premiere uses around 30watts I am guessing (based on S3s) and Bolt uses around 15watts, Mini is maybe 12watt. Where I am at incremental electricity is .28/kWh. So for *my* ROI comparison I would add around $3/mo of electricity savings for each Premiere that got switched to Bolt (a little more if you replaced with Mini). My area is high, yours might be much less. It is good Cox is still charging you $1.99 for CableCARD. Comcast used to charge $1.50. Now they like to give you the CableCARD for free, but charge you a $9.95 additional outlet fee and give you -$2.50 credit for using your own equipment for a net $7.45/mo charge. Comcast gives you one "outlet" with your service, so the 1st CableCARD is just -$2.50 customer equipment credit.
Electricity here is less than 1/2 your rate so not an issue for me. Cox $1.99 per CableCard is a bonus. Competition with Fios drives the rate down.

Then you need to factor in your Premieres are 7 years old and maybe your drives are getting up there in age, so the chances of HD dying or power supply issues start increasing.
I have fixed the Premieres often. Age and breakdowns not an issue for me.

If I were in your shoes, I would have gone for the refurb Roamio OTA with lifetime $199 deal they had last year and spent another $13 to add the CableCARD slot. You could even have salvaged your 3.5" 2TB drives and reused them on the Roamio. More importantly, they come in black :)
Missed this deal.

Now you have me considering a Bolt+ and 1 or 2 Minis and selling the 2 Premiere XL, 1 with lifetime and 1 without (use one lifetime for the Bolt+). Keeping the Premiere XL4 with 4TB HDD for future upgrade events.

So glad you weighed in!!! Thanks!

Decisions, decisions....

·
2,358 Posts
Follow up...

Did the math as sfhub suggested and it appears that buying a Bolt+ and 2 Minis will cost me $482 less over 3 years compared to 2 500GB Bolts. Math available upon request.

Need TC help with Premiere selling price estimated value assumptions:

1 Premiere XL4 4TB HDD with lifetime $180 and buyer pays $20 shipping circa 2013.
1 Premiere XL 2TB HDD with lifetime $150 and buyer pays $20 shipping circa 2012.
1 Premiere XL 2 TB HDD NO lifetime $60 and buyer pays $20 shipping circa 2010.

All with original remotes and manuals. Excellent working condition. Replacement HDDs are about 2-3 years old.

Am I close on the pricing? Checked eBay but prices and conditions are all over the place. I will post something in eBay sales forum.

·
Read Only
377 Posts
...Does anyone know what Tivo normally does if you need to have a Tivo unit replaced that's no longer available via an exchange if you have a lifetime sub on the unit in question? I know if you have an issue with equipment and it's out of warranty they charge $150 for a refurbed model and do transfer the lifetime subscription to the replacement unit. I have done this a few time many years ago, but both time I did the unit I had was only a generation back in availability. The Premier is 3 generations back so there is a strong likely hood if my unit fails they want have a Premiere to replace it with. Anyone know what they usually do in this scenario?
I don't know what is "usual" and I would guess that the answer might depend on who you talk to at TiVo. In my case, when the hard drive on my Premiere XL died last year TiVo offered me a refurbed Roamio for like $99 plus I think $299 to transfer my Lifetime Service from the Premiere. It was much cheaper for me to buy a new hard drive and fix it myself. That being said, now my Premiere with 2TB drive will get deactivated in this Bolt upgrade deal so I guess I'm going to see how much I can sell it for.

·
Super Moderator
55,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Interesting assertion.

I already have 2 Minis ver2 and wouldn't trade Premiere XL for a Mini. Premiere offers more flexibility as long as you don't need to stream, Amazon or Netflix, to a Premiere and ROI is about 51 months to payback cost of Mini at best price of $106 including tax, cable card only costs $1.99 per month with Cox.

On the fence for 2 Bolts to replace two 7 year old Premieres with upgraded 2 TB HDDs. SM is sweet! Without lifetime Premieres are pretty much worthless at $45-$60 on eBay.

Can a white Bolt be painted black? Spouse is asking...
You said your Premiere units were 2 tuner. You can't use Minis with 2 tuner Premiere units so I assumed you were using the Premieres in different rooms. Replacing them with a 6 tuner Bolt+ and a Mini gains you two tuners, lets you return a CableCARD and reduces noise and power usage in the second room.

Now based on this post you obviously have a different setup then I thought. You must have at least one more TiVo with 4 or more tuners to have a Mini. And obviously more rooms then I thought.

I agree with you that a two tuner Premiere without service is worthless. So assume you're just going to trash those units after the service is stopped. But you got 7 years out of them, which should mean they've more then paid for themselves by now. And by transferring the lifetime to a new Bolt for just $99 you're saving $450 so you're essentially getting $450 for an old unit that probably wouldn't sell for more then $150 on ebay.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just upgraded 1 old Premier to Bolt 500. I assume these are new units and not refurbs? Can't afford to do all 3 so I hope they do this again in a year. I think 1 a year I can handle and my wife won't get too upset.:rolleyes:

had to do it by phone as the website is broken again.:mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
This thread is great. I think the calculations on ROI are amazing. I thought I was detailed. Clearly we not considering the air temperature change from the heating of the unit. And the resulting cooling cost increase or heating cost decrease.
*grin*

I got my new unit. But I am out of town and I can't hook it up. But I got a helpful email from TiVo just now which contained the phrase "
Let's get your TV signal working! Our records show that your TiVo BOLT is connected to the TiVo service but is still not receiving a TV signal. Are you having any problems with your CableCARD or antenna? Call 877.289.8486 and we'll help you through the setup process.
"

Really? My TiVo is still in the box. If it's connecting to the TiVo service I would be shocked.

I replaced my broken Premiere with lifetime with this bolt. Really happy so far. But gotta hook it up first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
This thread is great. I think the calculations on ROI are amazing. I thought I was detailed. Clearly we not considering the air temperature change from the heating of the unit. And the resulting cooling cost increase or heating cost decrease.
*grin*

I got my new unit. But I am out of town and I can't hook it up. But I got a helpful email from TiVo just now which contained the phrase "
Let's get your TV signal working! Our records show that your TiVo BOLT is connected to the TiVo service but is still not receiving a TV signal. Are you having any problems with your CableCARD or antenna? Call 877.289.8486 and we'll help you through the setup process.
"

Really? My TiVo is still in the box. If it's connecting to the TiVo service I would be shocked.

I replaced my broken Premiere with lifetime with this bolt. Really happy so far. But gotta hook it up first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yep, it's the generic "welcome" email from TiVo--don't sweat its inaccuracy. ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts

My Tivo Series 3 is still active after using it to upgrade to a Roamio Pro during the summer blowout sale months ago. I wonder if they will ever deactivate it.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Depends. If you did it during the first round where you were given a promo code or called it in, probably not as it would take manual review of all the sales to figure out what to deactivate.

If you did it during the redux a couple of weeks later, then yes, because you used the TSN as the promo code so TiVo knows which TiVos to deactivate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I received the email. Only one of my premiers qualify. I have 3 premier’s. 2 with lifetime and one month to month. Last year 2 of them qualified to upgrade to lifetime at a discount. Nearly immediately after adding the lifetime one of the premier’s died. Thankfully they agreed to replace it but were out of stock for the premiers and around the same time there was a Romiao with lifetime promo and i bought one of them. When the premier finally showed up it wasn’t needed and has been on the shelf since. Enter this new promo. Seems like a perfect opportunity for me to phase out my last month to month premier and upgrade to a bolt+. Except the extra premier hasn’t been plugged in and apparently doesn’t qualify because of its in activity. Has anyone had any luck in this type of situation? It seems like a win for TiVo....they can sell a bolt+...get a pair of old premiers out of service... make a customer who has been with them since the early 2000’s happy ....should be a good opportunity for all....but TiVo wont budge.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I got the forever retrieving order page.
That happen to me when I ordered mine, so I killed the browser. But I got a order comfirmation Email from TiVo and it showed up under my order history along with a pending charge on my credit card when I checked four hours later.

I would feel uneasy about not getting a order confirmation number. Since you ordered last night (after hours ?) your order confirmation may come later after a human looks at it.

221 - 240 of 487 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.