TiVo Community Forum banner
181 - 200 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seems like lifetime premieres are selling for $200 - $300 on ebay and lifetime 500G bolts are selling for $500 - $600. This deal doesn't seem to be much of a savings.
I didn't think of that analysis. The marketplace is efficient after all...
If I am giving up my LT P4 for $99 AND purchasing a Bolt 500GB @ $150 = so outlay is ~$250
vs.
Selling my P4 on Ebay for $250
vs.
Bolt 500Gb on eBay for $550.

Why is this not a savings again?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
If I am giving up my LT P4 for $99 AND purchasing a Bolt 500GB @ $150 = so outlay is ~$250
Bolt 500GB at TiVo is $200 (not $150, which you might get from price matching, but different story)
Transfer is $100
By transferring you reduce the value of your LT P4 from $250 to $50 (loss of $200)

So your cash outlay is $200+$100 = $300
and you are left with P4 worth $50 (loss of $200)
and LT Bolt worth $550.

You started with $250 of assets (LT P4), spent $300 cash (Bolt + Transfer), and end up with $600 of assets ($50 P4 + $550 LT Bolt)

So $250 starting assets, throw $300 cash in, for $550 of assets, but you actually have $600 of assets.

Basically there is a slight advantage in that you got $50 of value by doing the transfer deal.

Need to factor in you pay tax on TiVo purchase (in some states on service and hardware), bumping up the cost of the TiVo route, but you can purchase tivo warranty if that is something you want, and you are guaranteed a brand new unit untouched.
vs.
Selling my P4 on Ebay for $250
vs.
Bolt 500Gb on eBay for $550.

Why is this not a savings again?
You buy a 500GB LT Bolt on Ebay for $550
Sell your LT P4 on Ebay for $250
Your cash outlay is -$550 + $250 = $300
and you are left with no LT P4 (ie worth $0)
and LT Bolt worth $550

You started with $250 of assets (LT P4), spent $300 cash (net ebay buy LT Bolt sell LT P4), and end up with $550 of assets (LT Bolt)

Basically you are coming out even.

So IMO the LT P4 transfer deal from TiVo (and I am using the ebay numbers that you provided of $250 and $550) gets you ever so slightly ahead but isn't a flaming hot deal.

·
Just the facts ma'am
11,182 Posts
To be fair it's only about 21x more posts, not 500x :innocent: *ducks*
???
Cheap flyer,who I was responding to, has 22 posts. 22 x 21 is only 462 and I have 10,700.
Granted I was only being approximate because I didn't feel like doing the math. The actual difference is 486x

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm planning to take advantage of this offer to upgrade from my Premiere to the Bolt. Does anyone know what company TiVo uses for shipping and if they require a signature? This will influence what I use for a shipping address. Thanks.

·
Just the facts ma'am
11,182 Posts
I'm planning to take advantage of this offer to upgrade from my Premiere to the Bolt. Does anyone know what company TiVo uses for shipping and if they require a signature? This will influence what I use for a shipping address. Thanks.
My orders from tivo come via fedex. I've done the signature waiver thing with fedex and ups, so I never have to sign so I don't ever know if a sig is required by default or not.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
In the 2016 they were using UPS, but I think somewhere in 2017 they switched to FedEx as all my recent shipments were from FedEx (and I recall around the time of the first transfer offer earlier in the year, there was mention that a new shipping provider allowed them to handle more volume). This is for larger items like DVRs. None of my packages had signature delivery service requested by the shipper.

For smaller items/accessories, like PoE MoCA filters or remotes, they sometimes use FedEx SmartPost, which is FedEx for the long haul, but USPS for final delivery.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts

So IMO the LT P4 transfer deal from TiVo (and I am using the ebay numbers that you provided of $250 and $550) gets you ever so slightly ahead but isn't a flaming hot deal.
What your analysis ignores is the economic value of not having the hassle of finding a buyer on ebay and shipping your Premier. Also not taking into account that Premiers have different value to different owners. Some may use it as their primary box. Others may not use it for much at all but still get enough value from it that they wouldn't initiate a unilateral sale of it on eBay. The upgrade offer takes all of the risk out of the round trip transaction up front since TiVo is effectively buying your Premier back. They benefit by reducing the number of Premiers to support in the field, which they'll eventually sunset support of anyway.

·
Super Moderator
55,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I'm thinking about taking them up on this and just selling the Bolt. I have a Premiere I'm not using and haven't sold because I'm too lazy and it's not worth that much money. But if I could pay $300 for a Bolt with lifetime and flip it for $600 that would be worth it.

·
Joe
74 Posts
Has anyone tried calling customer service to ask if they would apply this offer to a Series 3?

Been waiting forever to get an upgrade offer on my S3 and never got the email last year when they had the offer, called in afterwards but was late and they wouldn't budge. Very annoyed I keep missing out.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
What your analysis ignores is the economic value of not having the hassle of finding a buyer on ebay and shipping your Premier.
Hassles of selling are subjective/relative and specific to the person. If it is a big hassle then one should factor that in, as you suggest. If it is no big deal, then factor that in.

IMO the hassle is not in finding a buyer, but if something goes wrong with the transaction. In that sense, if something goes wrong with the transaction direct with TiVo there can be a big hassle as well as brentsg (and others) can attest to
Run far, far away

Personally I consider the case of something going wrong to be rare both in the buy from TiVo case and the case of selling LT P4 on ebay. Other's may feel differently.

There is also the hassle/cost of upgrading at all. The Bolt isn't a straight upgrade. You get a wave form factor which may not fit in your cabinet. You lose analog A/V connections, which may or may not be useful. You may need to upgrade the drive to meet your needs and realize later it uses 2.5" drives instead of 3.5" drives, unless you cut a hole and go the external route. If one's current Premier setup meets their needs, one could argue your best bet is to just stick with it rather than investing more cash into QAM hardware. OTA users might be considering different factors.

Everyone has their thresholds of value to pull the trigger. For me I'd want $150-$200 value to invest more in TiVo hardware. Others may feel break even financially with no need to deal with ebay is a good value. Some may feel break even plus the added comfort of getting a warranty from TiVo that guarantees transfer of lifetime is enough value.

IMO the S2/S3/HD transfer offer provided pretty good value. IMO this offer is ok if you were planning on doing the upgrade anyway, but not flaming hot. That is just my opinion and everyone has their own.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Has anyone tried calling customer service to ask if they would apply this offer to a Series 3?

Been waiting forever to get an upgrade offer on my S3 and never got the email last year when they had the offer, called in afterwards but was late and they wouldn't budge. Very annoyed I keep missing out.
Some people posted earlier that they tried and were denied, but you never know what might get offered if you call in. They might have something similar that can be offered depending on what value has been assigned to your account by the computer.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
What your analysis ignores is the economic value of not having the hassle of finding a buyer on ebay and shipping your Premier. Also not taking into account that Premiers have different value to different owners. Some may use it as their primary box. Others may not use it for much at all but still get enough value from it that they wouldn't initiate a unilateral sale of it on eBay. The upgrade offer takes all of the risk out of the round trip transaction up front since TiVo is effectively buying your Premier back. They benefit by reducing the number of Premiers to support in the field, which they'll eventually sunset support of anyway.
I would add that there is enormous value in not having one's wife yelling to you about how slow Netflix and Amazon are loading!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
There is also one other factor I forgot to mention in that TiVo sometimes "forgets" they gave you a transfer offer, and going the TiVo route may end up netting you a LT Bolt *and* a LT P4 (because they forget to deactivate). That would obviously be a vote in favor of going the TiVo route.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where is that? Sadly, at $189 at Amazon.com, from Marketplace sellers (Amazon no longer itself selling it, seemingly).
This thread is about the upgrade deal. You should look in the Tivo Upgrade Center section for answers to your hard drive upgrade question.
Actually, the post is quite appropriate since someone who gets the upgrade offer must decide between getting the 3Tb Bolt+ or getting the 500Gb Bolt and upgrading it him or her self. That person would be quite interested in knowing the different HD choices.

·
2,361 Posts
Bolt 500GB at TiVo is $200 (not $150, which you might get from price matching, but different story)
Transfer is $100
By transferring you reduce the value of your LT P4 from $250 to $50 (loss of $200)

So your cash outlay is $200+$100 = $300
and you are left with P4 worth $50 (loss of $200)
and LT Bolt worth $550.

You started with $250 of assets (LT P4), spent $300 cash (Bolt + Transfer), and end up with $600 of assets ($50 P4 + $550 LT Bolt)

So $250 starting assets, throw $300 cash in, for $550 of assets, but you actually have $600 of assets.

Basically there is a slight advantage in that you got $50 of value by doing the transfer deal.

Need to factor in you pay tax on TiVo purchase (in some states on service and hardware), bumping up the cost of the TiVo route, but you can purchase tivo warranty if that is something you want, and you are guaranteed a brand new unit untouched.

You buy a 500GB LT Bolt on Ebay for $550
Sell your LT P4 on Ebay for $250
Your cash outlay is -$550 + $250 = $300
and you are left with no LT P4 (ie worth $0)
and LT Bolt worth $550

You started with $250 of assets (LT P4), spent $300 cash (net ebay buy LT Bolt sell LT P4), and end up with $550 of assets (LT Bolt)

I can relate to your analysis - do this is my head all the time. Wired that way. Nice summary and explanation! Hard to measure the touchy feely side of the equation though. Smile!

181 - 200 of 487 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.