TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So this offer greatly appeals to me but Bolt+ has been out for so long that I'd originally been waiting for just the next generation box so I could have the latest and greatest as soon as it came out. What do you guys think about the release of the next generation of tivo boxes? Will there be one in the next year or so? I could probably live forever with my TiVo XL4 since 4k isn't broadcasting yet and I don't have a 4k TV. I also don't mind fast forwarding through the commercials instead of gaining skip mode. However, about 6 months ago, the wifi jack on my XL4 no longer works, and so I'm connecting to the internet via the wireless adapter. With my box 80% full, how tedious would it be to transfer all my shows via wireless?
Even if there is, which I doubt, it won't have the $99 transfer deal so unless you want to pay $550 just for lifetime service I'd take them up on this deal.

·
Super Moderator
59,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yeah the whole point of these sales is to drive sales figures in sagging months and keep people in the TiVo ecosystem. They're not just being nice.

·
Super Moderator
59,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I'm thinking about taking them up on this and just selling the Bolt. I have a Premiere I'm not using and haven't sold because I'm too lazy and it's not worth that much money. But if I could pay $300 for a Bolt with lifetime and flip it for $600 that would be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
59,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
My dilemma is do I trade up one or both of my Premiere XL 2 tuners for the Bolt 500 then buy 2 or 3TB upgrade drives?
Trade one for Bolt+ and another for Bolt 500GB then sell the Bolt 500GB for profit to offset the cost of the Bolt+. If you need two rooms get a Mini.

·
Super Moderator
59,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Interesting assertion.

I already have 2 Minis ver2 and wouldn't trade Premiere XL for a Mini. Premiere offers more flexibility as long as you don't need to stream, Amazon or Netflix, to a Premiere and ROI is about 51 months to payback cost of Mini at best price of $106 including tax, cable card only costs $1.99 per month with Cox.

On the fence for 2 Bolts to replace two 7 year old Premieres with upgraded 2 TB HDDs. SM is sweet! Without lifetime Premieres are pretty much worthless at $45-$60 on eBay.

Can a white Bolt be painted black? Spouse is asking...
You said your Premiere units were 2 tuner. You can't use Minis with 2 tuner Premiere units so I assumed you were using the Premieres in different rooms. Replacing them with a 6 tuner Bolt+ and a Mini gains you two tuners, lets you return a CableCARD and reduces noise and power usage in the second room.

Now based on this post you obviously have a different setup then I thought. You must have at least one more TiVo with 4 or more tuners to have a Mini. And obviously more rooms then I thought.

I agree with you that a two tuner Premiere without service is worthless. So assume you're just going to trash those units after the service is stopped. But you got 7 years out of them, which should mean they've more then paid for themselves by now. And by transferring the lifetime to a new Bolt for just $99 you're saving $450 so you're essentially getting $450 for an old unit that probably wouldn't sell for more then $150 on ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.