Get the Bolt (nonplus), and sub in your own 3TB Toshiba 2.5" drive--relatively easy to do, with a couple of screwdrivers (see YouTube videos on this). And so you can choose between OTA and cable (but not at the same time).I just got the offer, for my 7 year old 2-tuner Premiere XL. I'm considering it, and would value some advise from the Wise Ones that inhabit this forum. I'd probably go for the Bolt + 3TB
Downsides: 1) The Bolts don't do OTA and cable; worse, the Bolt + doesn't do OTA at all. I occasionally tape an OTA show, but only occasionally.
Put it under an inexpensive (and even nice-looking, perforated metal or clear acrylic) monitor stand, if you feel the need--"converts" it into being stackable. See earlier posts here on this, with pics.2) The Bolts are not stackable (dumb design decision IMHO)
Save 1/4+ of that by purchasing the Bolt (nonplus) and subbing in your own separately-purchased 3TB drive (see above). Also, if you have a credit card that gives a price match reimbursement, look for a lower price and applying.3) $600 is still $600
If like TiVo's other similar offers, yes.Finally, what I think is a simple questions: I assume my existing Premiere, once deactivated, can still be used to play back previously recorded shows - correct?
See the post 2 above yours ... ?I missed the last two offers because my box wasn't connected. I connected it a month ago and have been waiting for the offer to return but I didn't get the email this time either. Anyone know if Series 2 boxes are included in the offer?
They key words with these offers. In my experience, if you expect that they'll be back, they won't be, and if you don't expect them, they reappear.They'll probably have the same offer Black Friday except with refurb units that are $50-$100 less, but there's no guarantee so I might just take the e-mail up on it's offer.
Yep, I agree, consumer-friendly behavior and predictable courtesy to the consumer in the marketplace would be nice. But, this is now, and this is their deal to offer when, how, and if they want . . . . (They did offer more choice in the Spring, when the offer was slated as a "once-in-a-lifetime offer"--I guess that people should be happy that this is the third time or so that a transfer upgrade offer has been extended this year or so, albeit covering different older boxes.)It would be nice if they just gave us a choice. I have a Series 2, HD and a first-gen Premiere. It would be a bit punchy of TiVo to presume we can ONLY afford to purchase upgrades when THEY want us to. I know I'm not in a position to trade in three units when they seem fit. I could afford one in the spring. So I hope the days of Series 2 / HD upgrades aren't over.
Since we're the ones who shelled out for the units/Lifetime service, shouldn't WE be the ones who decide which units we can upgrade?
I agree. Although, as others may point out, you're also losing the service of your old box, in the process.I just ordered the 500gb Bolt and looking at my order history it's really not a bad deal as is. Including tax it's just $99 more than I paid for a refurbed Roamio OTA this past Black Friday. That gets you a faster processor, cable card bracket for cable option, and a built-in backup Stream.
Give matters a few months--who knows what offers, with what permutations, will appear. (Be sure to have the boxes dialing in to TiVO HQ periodically.)D'oh!
Just took my TiVo HD and S2 off the shelf earlier this week in hopes of an offer like this. Was happy for about five seconds before reading the TSN in the e-mail.
I'm perfectly happy with the Premiere for my needs, so going to let this one go by.
I don't disagree with your latter comment at all, and would love to see matters handled differently, perhaps. But, in the end, it's a basic manufacturer/store sale/promotion. Amazon does them as "lightning sales" lasting just hours.Not sure where you pulled the word 'convenient' from, but for Tivo to think people have enough money available to replace multiple units under a forced, short timeline because Tivo says so, well, I guess we have different opinions on what makes good customer service. It would have been smarter for them to say 'enter the service number for the machines you have which apply, and we'll give you six months' for example. Or, they could have made a sliding scale: $99 if you do it within a month, $150 within three months, $200 within six months. And if they decided that today they want to eliminate JUST Premiere's, well, again, you and I disagree I guess, as in my opinion Tivo is only serving their purpose, not both of ours...
The hard drive in the Bolt can be replaced relatively easily by a mere mortal with a nice Toshiba 3TB drive for under $150. There are a few YouTube videos on this (as well as other thread discussion here); it takes a couple of screwdrivers and less than half an hour, and is nearly plug-'n-play--no messing with software is needed, as the box handles that all automatically. And so, for under $50 more than the Bolt 1TB after the Bolt 500GB and replacement drive, you end up with a Bolt 3TB.What are you planning to do with the extra 3TB drive. Is it for backup; are you putting it inside the Tivo for added storage... please explain for those of us who are computer literate, but have never upgraded/enhanced our Tivo's. thanks.
The companies I've gone through are easy enough, but you need to know the rules and various time deadlines, which can be strictly enforced. I'd call your cc co. for the requirements and specifics (different cards may do this differently).I've never done price protection through my credit cards ever.
Is it pretty idiot proof?
Top of head does any1 know if Costco's Citi Visa has price protection?
Well, you know from prior experience that the deal can sell out at any time, and before any listed date.How long is this upgrade deal for? I see I got an email and the TSN of my Premiere is on there.
I might consider doing it to just get rid of the Premiere and maybe sell the lifetime Bolt.
Unlikely new box equipment is coming/soon. The "while supplies last" language covers TiVo's exposure, including to present inventory (if it wants). The same or similar language was used for the promotion 6 months ago and the Bolt still is here.The offer says "while supplies last". Does this imply new hardware could be coming? Soon? I would hate to shell out $588 for the Premiere to Bolt+ upgrade, only to see new hardware arrive anytime soon? I called and the rep would not say, of course...