TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The $200 TiVo Series 3 Rebate is out and can be downloaded here from TiVo.com or here from TiVoLovers.com .

It is a $200 mail-in rebate on the TiVo Series3 - this is only the original Series3 and not the TiVo HD. Purchase the Series3 between September 16th, 2007 and January 26th, 2008. The rebate must be postmarked by March 26th, 2008. You should also be able to submit your rebate online at http://www.tivorebates.com/

The key advantages of the Series 3 vs. the TiVo HD are:
  • 250GB drive vs. 160GB drive
  • TiVo Glo (backlight) remote
  • OLED Display on the Front (displays show info, etc.) and better overall appearance

A Series 3 can can be found for around $600, so $400 after rebate. This is about $100 more than what a TiVo HD will set you back.

Thanks to TiVoLovers.com for the info.

Original Post:
At CEDIA, TiVo announced TiVoToGo and MRV for the TiVo HD / Series 3 (as Pony did here last night). In addition, they also announced a new $200 rebate on Series 3 units. I'm guessing the Series 3 model is selling very slowly since the release of the (cheaper, nearly identical) TiVo HD.

Here is the info: http://www.twice.com/article/CA6476504.html

TWICE, 9/7/2007 6:53:00 AM
TiVo announced at CEDIA a $200 rebate on the $899 Series 3 HD model.

TiVo said retail placement for the TiVo HD box has been very strong, and the Series 3 continues to be a popular seller with custom installers and A/V specialty accounts.

TiVo platform and product management director Andrew Morrison said the company plans to upgrade both units in November to support the TiVo2Go and Multi-room Viewing feature supported in its standard-definition Series 2 devices. Firmware updates are handled remotely using a broadband connection.

·
UHD Addict
23,983 Posts
Crap. Circuit city had the S3 for $600 and with a 10% off coupon and the $200 rebate I would have purchased one instead of another TiVoHD.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
$899?? When was it ever $899? Is that the retail price now? I thought it was $799 from the day it was released(other than various deals here and there).

Doesn't look like such a great deal to me.

·
Dr_Diablo
916 Posts
aaronwt said:
Crap. Circuit city had the S3 for $600 and with a 10% off coupon and the $200 rebate I would have purchased one instead of another TiVoHD.
As of the first of Sept Circuit City, Castleton, had 75 S3's in their warehouse, none in store...

CC can drop ship to your door, if you pre-pay...

At $599 that is far better then $799, with that money you can pickup a decent sata drive... I did

But went to Best Buy, Washington Sq. that same day and they price matched with CC, had three in store... Castleton BB had one S3...

Pixelats same as the Tivo HD, AFTER the cable cards were introduced...

I think the S3 just doesn't like the SA SS cards...

Mine have gone south after 10 days, hope this the exception and not the norm

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
bicker said:
I suspect that was a typo.
I see Megazone left a comment about that at the Twice site.

I'd love to get a 2nd S3, or even the HD, almost did when the S3 could be had for $400, but I need to know what's happening with SDV first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I saw the same thing at CEDIA. It looks like it doesn't start until 9/16. I think they were only making the announcement early so they get the word out at CEDIA.

·
Dr_Diablo
916 Posts
Dropped by CC this afternoon, the pricing for the Tivo's was still at $299.00 and $599.00 respectively... Had both in stock as well... That was a first for CC...

·
Funkadelic
4,705 Posts
The S3 is a dying platform. I assume they're just clearing inventory at this point. I would rather spend my money on a T-HD and Glo Remote. In fact there's a good chance I will - once we find out what the new TTG/MRV looks like.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Other than the link from the OP, I can't find any reference anywhere to the reported $200 rebate on the S3. I did find the great price from CC, but if you can get an extra $200 back, it would put the price of a 32 hour S3 at the same price that you can get a 32 hour THD from Weaknees.

Anyone know where the details of the rebate are? There is no information on the CC or Tivo websites that I can find.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Of course a rebate is coming. Two weeks ago I thought I got a great deal from CC for $599 less 10% ($540), so I'm sure there will be a $200 rebate soon.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
davezatz said:
The S3 is a dying platform. I assume they're just clearing inventory at this point. I would rather spend my money on a T-HD and Glo Remote. In fact there's a good chance I will - once we find out what the new TTG/MRV looks like.
I'd hardly call it a dying platform, especially considering it's only about a year old. It's just been superceded by a less expensive model. I'd consider SA Tivos as dying before the S3, yet people are still buying them and Tivo is still providing software updates for them. I'd guess Tivo doesn't consider any of them as dead or dying, and that's what really counts. ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
The series 3 in much better looking the the THD. I think there is definitely a market for it and they can easily get away with $100 markup. They should upgrade the internals but keep the case, OLED, THX, and remote for those who also want a good looking TiVo.

·
Too sleepy for TV...
575 Posts
I have to wonder if this will be the usual "$200 rebate if you buy it direct from Tivo" deal. That's been their preferred model in the last couple of years, UIM. Seems that the S3 is still $799 direct from Tivo, meaning this will drop the price to $599, which is competitive with all of the third party retailers.

I'm guess that, rather than clearing inventory, they were noticing that their retail partners were dramatically undercutting them; and since selling direct at retail is going to be more profitable than selling them wholesale to those same partners even at $200 off, they're adopting a conditional price cut (e.g., jump through the hoops to get the lower price) to more effectively compete.

·
Hardcore TiVo Geek
3,302 Posts
Revolutionary said:
I have to wonder if this will be the usual "$200 rebate if you buy it direct from Tivo" deal. That's been their preferred model in the last couple of years, UIM.
All of their rebates in recent memory have been available for retail purchased units, not just from TiVo.com. I can't remember any rebates that were through their site only. Now, they will do *instant* rebates on their site, where the retail version is mail-in. But same end result.

The only pricing exclusive to their site has been the web specials on refurbished units.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts