TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm switching from a cable card to OTA broadcast with my TiVo Bolt 1000 GB. I unplugged the TiVo, disconnected the cable box and removed the cable card, then plugged it back in. It recognized that it no longer has a cable card and prompted me for setup.

It seems to be working normally but consistently fails to find to my router. I've tried both ethernet and WiFi with DHCP and static IP on both. I'm familiar with networking and the settings appear to be correct. What's weird is that I can see the TiVo is connecting to my router by WiFi even when it says it can't. I do not see a wired connection.

Support docs refer to forcing a connection to the TiVo service but those instructions require getting into the setup menus. I can't get that far. What are my next steps? As of now, I have no TV service at all.

This project includes Cox Cable as my ISP with T-Mobile Home Internet using their Nokia 5G gateway. User control of the network interface on the gateway is rudimentary, to be polite.

T-Mobile uses CGNAT (IPv6, only) and the gateway doesn't allow unsolicited inbound connections. I thought that might be related to the problem so I reconnected the cable modem. With that set up, it still fails using the same connection it was using successfully before. Nothing has been changed on the router.

I'm stumped. What is it using as a test that it's connected? Is it actually testing a connection to the router, or is it testing a connection to the TiVo service? Since I can't see it as an attached device on my router, I suspect it doesn't get as far as testing their server connection.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have t-mobile home internet. Since many of my gadgets like google Wi-Fi box won’t connect to it, I never disconnected my old slow cox cable internet.

with the Edge TiVo- the Wi-Fi doesn’t work if an Ethernet cable is attached

Ethernet:
I wanted to use the t- mobile to stream as it is unlimited but cox has a 1.25 Gb monthly cap.

I couldn’t get it the TiVo to recognize T-Mobile at first on the Ethernet or Wi-Fi. So I put Wi-Fi back to Cox’s and connected to the server. Then plugged the T-Mobile Ethernet back in and it uses T-Mobile.

re T-Mobile Wi-Fi: if you connect it to a computer and type in the address of the router - a menu pops up!
It has many different channels that are in both 5 gz and the 2.4 ghz. So if you change the name of the Wi-Fi- some of the channels still have the old name on the bottom of the trash can gateway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. I figured out the problem. I had accidentally disconnected the power to a switch in the area of the router. It's the central switch to the prewired ethernet in the house. It's working now and I'm connected to TMHI as ISP, with the Orbi router behind it.

Edit: I've completely disabled WiFi on the TMHI gateway. I'm using it purely as a modem, but there is no bridge mode so it does result in double NAT. Actually, it's triple NAT since all of T-Mobile's network uses CGNAT.

Independent of the TiVo, I have a home server to which I cannot currently connect from outside my home network. I'm researching use of a VPN tunnel to present a public IP address I can use for that purpose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts