TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After enjoying my TiVo for several years now I had this delusion that I could connect it to my wireless network in my home. Wrong...I have a NETGEAR WGR614 router for some time now and yesterday I bought a WG111 network adapter (yes, I checked the serial # to make sure it's TiVo compatible). TiVo software v.7.2. When I set it up is says it can't find my network (it does show the network name during setup). I am thinking there is some sort of firewall in the router that is preventing communication. It sure sounds like it from this quote on the router's box:
"A true firewall secures your network against hackers: Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Denial of Service (DoS) attack prevention averts potential threats by scanning incoming traffic and Network Address translation (NAT) shields your networked devices from intruders. Powerful WEP encryption (40/64- or 128-bit) on the wireless LAN conceals your information from eavesdroppers. MAC Address Control prevents unauthorized access to your wireless network. VPN pass-through give secure Internet access to your office or corporate network."

I also have Norton Personal Firewall. However I had no problems connecting a second PC and a laptop to my network. I never set up any passwords or special security when I first set up my wireless network. Just plugged it in. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just in case anybody has the same issue, last night I tried three things:

plugged the adapter into a different port;

deactivated my ZoneAlarm firewall;

pushed the reset button on the Netgear WGR614 router.

And then my TiVo connected!

Since then I reactivated the firewall and it's still connected so I am assuming what fixed it was the reset of the router. Hope this helps somebody!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.