TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Originally, Netflix on my edge worked just fine. HDR too. Now, all of a sudden it’s unuseable and has been for days. I can start Netflix and select a show. When I go to play it, I get the following screen/message...

“”We’re having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title.”

Therea an error code on the bottom right of the screen that says “tvq-pb-101(5.2.12)”

I’m connected through gigabit ethernet directly to the Edge. I also have gigabit broadband. Hulu works just fine on the edge along with the other streaming apps, HBO, etc.... I can also use netfix just fine on every other device in the house including a ShieldTv hooked up to the same television that this edge is connected to.

Any suggestions?

By the way, with HDR on, Netflix is pink. Wasn’t like that until the problem above started. Ridiculous.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I’ve tried rebooting several times.

How do I uninstall netfix from the edge? I can't figure it out. It’s preloaded. I’ve tried deactivating the account and signing back in but that doesn't work.

I have various streaming sticks, old Roku's, Apple TV”s that are years old that can handle Netflix just fine. The fact that this new box has so many problems is really silly.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rebooting doesn’t work for me. I’ve loved Tivo for a long time. But crap like this makes me think hard about giving up the brand for good. This is their latest and greatest and so far it just sucks. One thing gets fixed and another one becomes broken.

TIVO::: PLEASE FIX THIS OR STOP
BILLING ME UNTIL YOU DO!!!! IS ANYONE LISTENING??

· Registered
2,134 Posts
Rebooting doesn't work for me. I've loved Tivo for a long time. But crap like this makes me think hard about giving up the brand for good. This is their latest and greatest and so far it just sucks. One thing gets fixed and another one becomes broken.

TIVO::: PLEASE FIX THIS OR STOP
BILLING ME UNTIL YOU DO!!!! IS ANYONE LISTENING??
Nobody from Tivo is listening or watching. You need to contact Tivo and get another Edge.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after an hour and a half on the phone with them trying numerous fixes, they finally believe something is wrong. I’ve been escalated to the software engineering team and am supposed to hear something back in the next 5 days. This seems to have started at the same time they rolled out their fix to the streaming issues. I was having no problem with pink screen or a connection to Netflix before that. Being on the phone with their tech support is so basic.... unplug router, restart TiVo, unplug TiVo, force connection, blah blah blah. The device is flawed. I have at least 10 other devices in this house to connect to Netflix without any issues whatsoever. Incredibly aggravating.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Received an email from them today telling me that they wanted to try some more troubleshooting and asked me to call in. I thought for sure that at least this time I’d talk to a senior engineering tech support person who might be of more assistance. That didn’t happen. I called the number which brought me to the main tech support menu. I ended up connecting to another basic tech support guy who started trying to run me through the several of the same things I tried yesterday with the other tech support agent. I told him I wasn’t going to repeat again what I spent and hour and a half doing the day before. I wasn’t happy. He had me check a couple of other things and then told me I was being escalated to the software engineering team.... WAIT, wasn’t I escalated to them yesterday? What was the point of telling me that yesterday?

I’ve also tried to point out to him as well as the agent from yesterdary, that in the Netflix app, you can go to the settings on the left side of the Netflix home screen, scroll down to “get help” and check things like your Netflix app software info, account info... and WOW, there’s a screen there to test your connection to the Netflix servers. When you do the test, it tests the connection to three different Netflix servers, your internet connection and then gives you your connection speed. It then tells you if there’s an issue with your connection to Netflix or if yours is successful. In my case, it tells me each time “Network check successful.” Therefore, my inability to use Netflix is not with my connection, it’s with something going on in the box with it’s software. Makes sense since every other device in the house including the AppleTV and ShieldTV hooked up to the same exact television can both handle Netflix just fine through the same connection.

Explaining this to the techs has fallen on deaf ears each and every time. They’ve never even asked me to connect to Netflix through that menu to test my connection to Netflix itself. Seems pretty basic that this would narrow the road for them.

Come on, TiVo!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
WOW! So I still haven't heard back from Tivo. I logged onto my account and see they closed my case number. How in the world can they close the case without contacting me and without resolving the problem? Called them this morning and they told me that the software engineering team says that the problem is on the Netflix side, not the Tivo box. Here we go again. I had to explain for the umpteenth time that I have on the same television... an appleTV, an Nvidia Shield and direct access to Netflix from the LG television.... the only problem is with the Tivo. I've swapped the cables from one box to another, etc....

Tivo customer services plain sucks. So over this aggravation. Wish I had never purchased this Tivo Edge... and that's after years of being a loyal TIVO customer. Sucks.

· Registered
6 Posts
Just adding that I have had a similar experience and got nowhere with TIVO fixing the problem. I first noticed it after the last software update so it must be something TIVO broke and their software people probably don't have the skills to fix it. Plus like you said their tech support don't know anything other than a universal check list which can be frustrating for customers having to explain the same thing and perform the same tests dozens of times. Unfortunately most tech companies operate this way.

I did manage to stay on the line for several hours while the TIVO rep did contact Netflix tech support but that resulted in the same excuse, that the problem was the other guy's responsibility. Finally, I gave up and the TIVO rep closed the case as "resolved" I then launched a complaint that the case was not resolved but never heard back from them.

For the past 3 months I just use AppleTV 4K for Netflix and it works well. TIVO system works well for local TV stations and that's what I use it for. The apps are a waste of time for me.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just adding that I have had a similar experience and got nowhere with TIVO fixing the problem. I first noticed it after the last software update so it must be something TIVO broke and their software people probably don't have the skills to fix it. Plus like you said their tech support don't know anything other than a universal check list which can be frustrating for customers having to explain the same thing and perform the same tests dozens of times. Unfortunately most tech companies operate this way.

I did manage to stay on the line for several hours while the TIVO rep did contact Netflix tech support but that resulted in the same excuse, that the problem was the other guy's responsibility. Finally, I gave up and the TIVO rep closed the case as "resolved" I then launched a complaint that the case was not resolved but never heard back from them.

For the past 3 months I just use AppleTV 4K for Netflix and it works well. TIVO system works well for local TV stations and that's what I use it for. The apps are a waste of time for me.
Well I think it's completely inexcusable to be expected to just accept this and ignore that the issue is happening. Furthermore, for them to charge for their service when their equipment isn't working is way not okay. They closed my case as "resolved" when it wasn't and when they hadn't even gotten back to me. That's BS. After I called them back again, they started the same BS again and I freaked out on them. They finally offered me a replacement unit for a $49.99 charge (why should I have to pay you anything"??) . I also had to put a deposit down at the full price of $399.99, which is supposedly going to be refunded when they receive the old unit back. New unit is supposed to be here today so I will see how it goes. Interesting post above because Netflix on my unit stopped working after a recent software update to the tivo also.

· Registered
6 Posts
Keep us posted on the new unit after you update the software. That will explain a lot. Test it before and after an update.

I forgot to mention that Netflix suggested I try deleting all my devices on their website account access and then adding them back, TIVO first. That didn't work either. So I added my ATV 4K and just use that.

I recall you do have another way to watch Netflix, same as me. In my case I never bought the TIVO system for the apps so when I discovered it had that capability I just thought that was nice. So, for me, it is more a curiosity but I don't want to spend too much time with their inadequate tech support. One day they may get it fixed but unless many people complain to Netflix and then blame Netflix, TIVO may never do anything.

BTW- I have the lifetime guide subscription so I hope they don't go out of business.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts