TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I am hoping I can get some help. Please excuse the poorly drawn drawing, but please take a look. This is inside my On Q panel inside my house. Every room is wired for Coax and Ethernet. Right now I am using a MoCA setup. I am just using 2 splitters inside the panel to feed my Cable Modem and every room except the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms. The cable modem is wired to the Ethernet cable that goes to the Living room Ethernet cable. From there I have that connected to a google WiFi Router. The Tivo Bolt's Ethernet port in living room is plugged into Google WiFi port to crate a MoCA connection throughout the house. When trying to add the 2nd bedroom mini (with a 3rd splitter) I can't get a network connection (or even see the other Tivos from there).

Given my drawing, what is the ideal way to network my Tivo boxes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, my cable modem is Gig Speed and only has one Ethernet out port. Also, I am using 2 tuning adapters (at the Bolt, and Roamio locations.)

Attachments

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
Quick thoughts...
  • Your post doesn't mention a "PoE" MoCA filter. You'd definitely want to make sure you have one installed on the input of the top splitter in your MoCA hierarchy. (Phrased slightly differently since I don't know your current splitter configuration, and there would be a benefit in keeping the modem connection outside the MoCA tree.)
  • How are the Tuning Adapters and their DVRs connected? Are you connecting the DVRs via each TA's pass-through port, or are you using a 2-way splitter to connect each device directly to the coax? (When using MoCA, the DVRs should NOT be connected via the TA pass-through owing to this port severely attenuating signals at MoCA frequencies.)
  • Your post doesn't appear to illustrate your current connections, either before or after adding the third splitter to enable connectivity to the 2nd Bedroom. (I'd think adding another splitter would have also affected whichever location was serviced by the splitter output to which the new splitter was attached.)
  • Have you tried swapping the new Mini with a working one (new Mini at old location, old Mini at new location) to confirm it's a location or device issue?
  • If having MoCA issues, another thing to consider is a review of the splitters in use and possibly upgrading to known-good MoCA models. (e.g.) Checking your MoCA stats would provide some insight on whether there's room for improvement. (see here)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assuming there aren't any other splitters, everything looks like it should work.

Have you gone into the Bolt's network settings and set it up as a MoCA gateway?
Yes the Bolt has been setup as MoCA from the start. The other 2 minis seem to work. I Could be wrong but it seems like when I add another splitter I may not be getting enough power.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP seems to indicate that they have a working setup w/ a BOLT, Roamio Plus and 2 Minis ... all on MoCA w/ the BOLT acting as the bridge. It's just the new location in the 2nd Bedroom that is being stubborn.
This is a correct statement. Wondering if there is a better way to utilize the Ethernet cabling in the house instead of using MoCA

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
I Could be wrong but it seems like when I add another splitter I may not be getting enough power.
1) Checking the MoCA stats from any of your MoCA-connected TiVo devices would provide some insight on the health of your MoCA network. It's possible that it's borderline and the extra splitter pushes the loss budget over the edge. (see here)

2) I updated my earlier post, above, w/ a few more items worth considering.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick thoughts...
  • How are the Tuning Adapters and their DVRs connected? Are you connecting the DVRs via each TA's pass-through port, or are you using a 2-way splitter to connect each device directly to the coax? (When using MoCA, the DVRs should NOT be connected via the TA pass-through owing to this port severely attenuating signals at MoCA frequencies.)
  • Your post doesn't appear to illustrate your current connections, either before or after adding the third splitter to enable connectivity to the 2nd Bedroom. (I'd think adding another splitter would have also affected whichever location was serviced by the splitter output to which the new splitter was attached.)
  • Have you tried swapping the new Mini with a working one (new Mini at old location, old Mini at new location) to confirm it's a location or device issue?
  • Your setup would seem to be a good use case for the hybrid splitter @fcfc2 recently brought to my attention: AMPHENOL IPGH3M4-VF Infinity Premise Docsis Passive 3 x HYBRID + 4 x MoCA Ports Splitter (ebay, video1, video2) Just be sure to also pick-up some 75-ohm terminators to cap any unused ports.
  • How are the Tuning Adapters and their DVRs connected? Are you connecting the DVRs via each TA's pass-through port, or are you using a 2-way splitter to connect each device directly to the coax? (When using MoCA, the DVRs should NOT be connected via the TA pass-through owing to this port severely attenuating signals at MoCA frequencies.) I am not using 2 way splitter at each TA so my assumption is that I am using each devices pass through port. I guess I didn't realize there was 2 ways to hook them up.
  • Your post doesn't appear to illustrate your current connections, either before or after adding the third splitter to enable connectivity to the 2nd Bedroom. (I'd think adding another splitter would have also affected whichever location was serviced by the splitter output to which the new splitter was attached.) This is my thought to. Basically my first spitter goes to my cable modem and then the 2nd splitter. The 2nd splitter feeds all rooms except 2nd and 3rd. Adding a 3rd splitter to accommodate the 2nd bedroom causes the problem.
  • Have you tried swapping the new Mini with a working one (new Mini at old location, old Mini at new location) to confirm it's a location or device issue? Yes the issue follows wherever I have the 3rd splitter connected to. Like I said, it feels like I am not getting enough power at these locations.
  • Ill Check out the hybrid splitter.

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
This is a correct statement. Wondering if there is a better way to utilize the Ethernet cabling in the house instead of using MoCA
If nothing else, you could connect the new Mini via Ethernet, at least temporarily, to get it fully updated, activated and talking to the DVRs. Then activation and a few other possible roadblocks would have been removed.

But, generally, you shouldn't *have* to switch to Ethernet. As you're seeking to do, a review of the coax/MoCA setup will likely fix what ails.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick thoughts...
  • Your post doesn't mention a "PoE" MoCA filter. You'd definitely want to make sure you have one installed on the input of the top splitter in your MoCA hierarchy. (Phrased slightly differently since I don't know your current splitter configuration, and there would be a benefit in keeping the modem connection outside the MoCA tree.)
  • If having MoCA issues, another thing to consider is a review of the splitters in use and possibly upgrading to known-good MoCA models. (e.g.) Checking your MoCA stats would provide some insight on whether there's room for improvement. (see here)
Yes I am using a "PoE" MoCA filter. I forgot to mention that in original post.

If I get the Hybrid splitter that you mention above. Any advice on how to hook up each room. It appears I will still need splitters (At TA locations) and at least one for a couple locations.

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
I am not using 2 way splitter at each TA so my assumption is that I am using each devices pass through port. I guess I didn't realize there was 2 ways to hook them up.
That's the first thing to tackle, then, since you're hammering your MoCA signals sending them through the TAs.

Well, actually, I'd recommend:

Task #1: Check/document your current MoCA stats (as a baseline, and to confirm borderline condition)

Task #2: Use a MoCA-compatible splitter at each DVR/TA location to connect each device directly to the coax.

Task #3: Move the "PoE" MoCA filter to the input of the 2nd splitter in the hierarchy, putting the 1st splitter and modem outside the MoCA network.

(edited per new info on "PoE" MoCA filter)

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
Given your current connection description...
Basically my first spitter goes to my cable modem and then the 2nd splitter. The 2nd splitter feeds all rooms except 2nd and 3rd.
... the optimum location for the "PoE" MoCA filter for your setup would be on the input of the 2nd splitter, putting the first splitter and modem outside the MoCA network. It's possible that this one change, if the filter is currently upstream of the 1st splitter, could get your setup working ... BUT you'd still want to make all the other recommended changes* to optimize/stabilize the setup.

* Perhaps aside from the hybrid splitter. The hybrid splitter may only be useful for cleaning-up the central box connections, but with one downside... it brings the modem back inside the MoCA network. (This hybrid splitter is more tailored to setups w/ MoCA-capable gateways.)

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
If I get the Hybrid splitter that you mention above. Any advice on how to hook up each room. It appears I will still need splitters (At TA locations) and at least one for a couple locations.
I'd table the hybrid splitter for the moment, and see where you get with just getting the DVR/TA splitters in place, and tweaking the location of the "PoE" MoCA filter.

p.s. Where is the "PoE" MoCA filter currently installed?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Per
I'd table the hybrid splitter for the moment, and see where you get with just getting the DVR/TA splitters in place, and tweaking the location of the "PoE" MoCA filter.

p.s. Where is the "PoE" MoCA filter currently installed?
Perfect. I will keep the Hybrid Splitter. in mind but try your other suggestions for now. The MoCA filter is before the input of the first splitter. I am not at home now, but will defiy give these changes a try this evening. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts

Hi,
If possible, could you do another diagram which resembles more of a "tree" diagram than the one you did, which is a bit more like a list than a diagram.
Another thought, if the hybrid splitter mentioned would not be appropriate for you coax network, just upgrading to some actual MoCA rated splitters might get the job done, Cable and Satellite Tools - Distributor of Tools for CATV, Satellite, Home Theater, Security, Telecom

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
If possible, could you do another diagram which resembles more of a "tree" diagram than the one you did, which is a bit more like a list than a diagram.
It seems like the drawing in the OP was intended more as a connect-the-dots "before" canvas for the central panel, looking for someone to reply with the "after."

The text descriptions through the thread have revealed most of the connectuons ...
I am just using 2 splitters inside the panel to feed my Cable Modem and every room except the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms.
Basically my first spitter goes to my cable modem and then the 2nd splitter. The 2nd splitter feeds all rooms except 2nd and 3rd. Adding a 3rd splitter to accommodate the 2nd bedroom causes the problem.
The MoCA filter is before the input of the first splitter.
I am not using 2 way splitter at each TA
... so they must have been using a 4-way splitter off the initial 2-way, then things go bad for any MoCA devices hung off an add'l 2-way when it is cascaded off the 4-way.

The DVR/TA connections are the obvious issue, then the "PoE" MoCA filter could be moved to optimize the scope of the MoCA network.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It seems like the drawing in the OP was intended more as a connect-the-dots "before" canvas for the central panel, looking for someone to reply with the "after."
You are exactly right. I created a new drawing. I haven't made changes yet but this is what I plan to do based on our conversation. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for helping me "connect the dice". I'll let you know how everything works. I plan to look at the MoCa stats before I start and then after to compare. I'll share results.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: krkaufman

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I used the above drawing, except for the 6-way splitter. I don't have that yet so I am using a 4-way then a 3-way. I rebooted everything, Cable modem, Router, TA's, Tivos. As things came up the Router was not connecting. The Tivos had no picture, while the TA's were still communicating (blinking light). I waited for several minutes even rebooting everything again. After a while of no WiFi connectivity or picture. I removed the filter. I immediately started to receive a picture, even with the TA's still blinking. The router then connected. The Bolt Picture became very choppy, although the Roamio was fine. Shortly after this the TA's got a solid light on them. The Bolts picture was still very choppy as was any mini connected to it. The interesting thing is that the mini in bedroom 2 (connected to the Roamio) seems to be working great. I put the filter back and all pictures went away. Which is weird because I had that filter in use at the head in at my last place with no issue. Removing the filter once again gives me video, although the bolt shows a very choppy video.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On another note my, Tivo VOX when watching live TV. Randomly is giving me the V88 Can't watch live TV right now error.

·
TDL shepherd
17,365 Posts
As things came up the Router was not connecting.
The first device to power-up is the modem, and there'd be zero reason for it to have any issues after removing the "PoE" MoCA filter - unless there's a bad connector/cable in the mix. (It doesn't seem likely that the signal at the modem would have gone too hot only after removing the "PoE" MoCA filter from the path.)

And the router having issues doesn't make sense since it's connected to the modem via Ethernet ... and nothing changed there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.