TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our old dish was crushed by a tree that fell on our house. Well, the house is almost completely rebuilt so now I'm thinking of the important things like electricity, phone, and of course DirecTV. :)

I need to buy a new dish, but what's the least expensive way to have someone install it? If I order it from DirecTV how much will they charge me? Do you think I could get a "tree fell on my house-sympathy" waiver for the installation charge from DTV (i.e., beg for one)? Should I order from an independent dealer?

Unfortunately my electrician is not satellite-saavy, or else I'd just order and let him install/align.

Any suggestions? :)

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
Sure... Call them... and see what they will give you.

If you drop in the line... hmm... I may have to compare that fee (for the re-installation of the dish) with what it will cost to get Cable installed....

(aka.. not saying that you are GOING to switch, but you just have to compare the cost of the two, so you are not "lying" to get something)

I think you will be able to get a discount on the dish installation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stanley Rohner said:
Install a new dish yourself. It's not that hard to do, and you'll do a better job than the "pro" :rolleyes: installer they'll send over.
Are there any online resources with tips (and pitfalls to avoid) for installing one's own dish? If you put a dish on a fence surrounding your yard, do you have to bury all of the cable leading to your house? I imagine you must.

Thanks.

·
Bone marrow lover!
12,816 Posts
I have my multi-sat dish with 2 lnb sitting in my yard. If you want it come get it. $0..
:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
A new 3-LNB oval dish costs about $100.
-
Wherever you plan to mount the dish, you want to run 4 RG6 coax lines from that point to a point in the house. From there, run lines to wherever your tv sets will be located. I would recommend 2 lines to each tv location (that way you can use a dual tuner dvr).
-
If the dish is going to be away from the house, it's up to you if you bury, lay on the ground, or string overhead - but I think burrying is almost always the choice. Conduit is an option to consider.
-
You should try to keep total cable length (dish to tv) to under roughly 200 feet. That is by no means an absolute number, but a good guideline.
-
Installing and aligning the 3-LNB dish is not terribly difficult. If you decide to go that route yourself, let us know and we'll post guidelines to follow.
-
Carl

·
Registered
19,708 Posts
I need to buy a 3-LNB dish, where is the most economical place to buy one?

·
Registered
485 Posts
eBay. I have an open-box dish if someone wants it. I think it's all there. I bought it to put up at my new house but ultimately wound up getting another one so here it sits.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bet that if you call D* they will provide a new multi sat dish for free, and send someone out to install it. I needed a new dish when I subscribed to locals, and was having trouble finding one locally. I called D* to ask if they sold them direct, and was pleasantly surprised when I was told that they would give me one and do the installation. The installer was great, too. He gave me a brand new D10-200 receiver when we realized that the ancient (1996 era) RCA receiver in the bedroom was too out of date to receive the locals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts