TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Been awhile since I've posted in the TiVo community but I've bought a Bolt and having trouble with the MoCa network. I'm using a MoCa spliter left behind by the previous Direct TV service I had.The Bolt works well connected HDMI to my main tv. One of my minis also works well. But no link up to my second mini. See attached diagram. I finaly gave in to a ethernet connection to that mini that works but is a bit sluggish compared to the coax connection of the other mini. I've read the postings in here and saw talk of changing MoCa channels. Is that something I need to do?
Handwriting Rectangle Font Line Wall

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Light Green Microphone Font Electronic component
DirecTV never had a MOCA Splitter.. They use Deca which operates on a lower frequency.. Is the Splitter a DirecTV Green Label Splitter? And do you have a POE Filter anywhere?
Comp,
It is green (see photo). I do not have any filters in the system, seems if I needed that nothing would work. Also can you explain what Deca and POE mean? Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Audio equipment Material property Gadget Font Cable
Thanks for the good information on this guys. I have ordered Holland splitter and filter as recommended. Meanwhile a new questions. When the Charter did my install I did not have my TiVo bolt yet (came the next day) so he left me with instructions and some sort of box that I didn't install. Anyone know what this is for? See photo. As I mentioned earlier the TiVo Bolt is working without this box inline.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Charter gave me the same box but so far I have not set it up. One CSR said I would not need it, but when I picked up the Cable Card they gave me the TA. I seem to get all the expected channels without it.

Peter G
Thanks Peter,
I've been getting all the channels I expected too. I especially didn't like the connection configuration that requires both coax and eithernet connections to the Bolt, using the only port available to get content off the internet. I think I'm putting it back in the closet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is an updated block diagram showing the position of the cable co. provided splitter. If I understand the advice given here I will be replacing the Direct TV splitter with a Holland MoCa splitter. I also plan to install a Holland POE MoCa filter on the input to the new splitter. What do you think?
Handwriting Rectangle Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How is your MoCA network being created, by what device?

The diagram is an improvement, thanks, but it doesn't indicate what Ethernet connections might exist, or if you have a separate router... and without knowing this info, especially where the MoCA-to-Ethernet bridge is located, I'd have to say put the "PoE" MoCA filter on the actual point-of-entry, the input to the "cable provider splitter." If the BOLT is creating your MoCA network, you could improve your MoCA performance a bit (and the signal strength at the cable modem a hair) by installing the "PoE" MoCA filter on the input to the secondary splitter (soon to be the Holland MoCA model).
Kr,
Yes the MoCa comes from the coax "in" connector of the Bolt. I do not plan to use ethernet connections at all anymore. This will cut down on traffic on my home network.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.