TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Lord of Darkness
1,554 Posts
GoHokies! said:
I much rather would have been using my S3 for the past year than waiting for CL to decide what they wanted and Tivo to code it.
I understand your point, but its abit like going and buying say a New Car now, but them waiting for a Year for the Windows to be delivered and installed. Yes its fuctional when you get it (except during rain and that :D) but not fully complete.

·
Lord of Darkness
1,554 Posts
atmuscarella said:
At work we run all the telephones through Cat5e just easier to wire all our offices with one type wire and connector. The reason I recommend the telephone line for home is that the Satellite companies want you to keep their receivers plugged into a phone line. With dishnetwork I think they will charge you extra if a second (or third) receiver isn't connected to a phone line.

Thanks,
Yes Directv want you to attach your units to the phoneline as does Dishnetwork.

Dish charges $5.00 for each Receiver not plugged in, so it can get expensive.

Also, What if later down the road you decide to sell the House. The new Owner has standard phones, but guess what.... nowhere to connect them :D

·
Lord of Darkness
1,554 Posts

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
RoyK said:
Actually only 4 of the 8 wires in cat5/cat6 cable are used for ethernet. The other 4 are perfectly capable of being simultaneously used for telephone etc if you terminate the cables appropriately.

See http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html for pinouts.

Roy
yep and if wired correctly then the blue pair will be on wires 4 and 5 and you can actually plug the phone line right intoa cat 5 jack anyway.
ethernet does a funky of using wires 1,2,3 and 6
what is left is an unused brown pair of wires are on 7,8.

when I did network admninning I ran phone and network down the same in wall wire in a pinch. For 100meg it made no difference to the ethernet for regular office use.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
here's a couple more questions...
1. would it be over the top ridiculous to have the installers wire bundled cables along w/ fiber optics (to be used in the future) or would that be wasteful. the house will be a high end house.
2. where has anyone had luck looking at pricing for bundled cables w/ these types of setups.
interested in your feedback....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
1. would it be over the top ridiculous to have the installers wire bundled cables along w/ fiber optics (to be used in the future) or would that be wasteful. the house will be a high end house.
2. where has anyone had luck looking at pricing for bundled cables w/ these types of setups.

·
I can't explain
25,527 Posts
jimbob111 said:
if you needed to pipe digitital optical around the house then maybe fiber optics would be good but otherwise I know of no in home use for fiber optic wire roght now.

I would think you would be better off to ensure a good home run setup of cat6 and whatever the latesst and greatest coax is. Do multipole runs of cat6 wire for phones or intercoms or whatever else besides networking you want to do. spec that the wire has to handle gig ethernet.

I would get contractors that specialize in such wiring to give you some bids

·
Registered
129 Posts
usnret said:
Kind of an on topic question. If he runs all those cables to each room, what sort of a face plate would one use? Hopefully one would not have to have a face plate for each cable?? Reason for asking is that I am in the process of doing this in my present house (have access via the basement for the wiring) and have been looking for some sort of a multijack face plate. Tks
When I wired my old house, I wired each room with at least 2 cat5 cables and 2 RG6U coax cables. At the time I just purchased the wire and keystone type jacks and faceplates at Home Depot (Leviton brand).

That was a few years ago and prices have gone up quite a bit for the jacks. The wire is still reasonable in store, but you'll probably get a better deal online for the jacks. Try http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&style= for a good selection of jacks in all sorts of colors. Fifty cat5e jacks at monoprice are $70 vs. $248 ($4.96 each) at Home Depot. (Not to hijack the thread, but they have very reasonable prices on LCD wall mounts too... I just bought a tilting wall mount for $25 + $13 shipping for my 42" LCD.)

(Edit): I searched Home Depot's site for a multipack of the 5e jacks. They have a 10 pack for $29.90. So 50 jacks from Home Depot would actually be $149.50 rather than $248.

·
Registered
129 Posts
jimbob111 said:
My recommendation is to run at least 2 cat5e/6 and 2 RG6 quad cables to every living area of the house. The bathrooms aren't necessary but I have seen bathrooms wired for TV watching in the tub. Remember to run wiring to the kitchen for the flip down LCD TV and anywhere you plan to have a computer, even if you plan to run the computer wirelessly (like a desk for a bill/homework area near the kitchen).

I found this site http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin...Bundled-Cable-RG6-Quad-Shield-Cat6-FiberOptic which sells a 2 rg6 quad, 2 cat 6, and 2 fiber bundle for just over $1 per foot ($529.95 for a 500 foot spool). It is not fully jacketed so it might be a bit tougher to pull (there isn't an outside covering over the cable bundle. Rather, it has a ribbon that winds around the cable to bundle them together.

Another site is http://www.smarthome.com/868241j.html . Smarthome has a jacketed 2 Cat-5e, 2 RG6 Quad, 2 Fiber for the same price per spool. It's not cat 6 wire, but cat 5e is still rated for gigabit ethernet.

I found these doing a google search of "structured cable" and "bundled cable".

Running fiber is probably overkill and adds about $0.40 / foot to the price of the bundled cable. But, depending upon how "high end" the house is (aka if were talking about full home automation with speakers in every room and a home automation system in the basement that alone costs $20,000) the $0.40 / foot might be a good investment for resale.

I personally know of no use/need for fiber in most homes however.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.